Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

Hi all, great to catch up on what's been going on in your life!

I had my surgery yesterday, went pretty well, four incisions, two new scars to add to the tally (14 in total in 9 places now). Won't get the results till the end of the week but didn't look like a nasty so here's hoping that's the end of it. It's enough just finding out my mum has bladder cancer, plus not sure if I mentioned hubby fell off a ladder 2 weeks ago and cracked his scapula and his head, lots of blood and 9 stitches... Thank goodness he can drive now.

I had a great trip interstate food wise last week, able to stay relatively compliant. Ordered fruit platters for the airline foods, took tinned tuna, nuts, coconut and sun dried tomatoes with me and two chocolate bars, the chocolate I ended up bringing home again! That's a first! I had dinner out and ate grilled octopus, lamb and pork chops with steamed veggies. The zucchini and eggplant were battered despite me checking before hand but the batter came off... Might have had a smidgen but didn't get sick. The next night I bought pre cooked chicken, rocket, carrot, cucumber and mushroom from the supermarket and had that for dinner and breakfast. Lunches were fruit plus the food I brought and some juice. I nearly caved and had a coke zero but when I lost the battle with my mind and looked in the fridge they had all gone! Phew. A couple of days go I had 4 little squares of chocolate that probably had milk in it and I have had some dried fruit with a bit of sugar but I still feel like my diet is pretty much sugar free. And I still haven't succumbed to the jelly beans. Might have the last black one though, thinking about it...

I've been keeping away from coffee as much as I can, and just having some macadamias.

For the last few days I have been making some egg, almond meal and coconut puddings and I think they have affected me a bit, probably the coconut so I will check that out a bit more thoroughly.

Cooked up a storm on Sunday so have plenty of food in the fridge and freezer to see me through the week.

Looking forward to being able to do yoga again and stretch out the kinks. I have the shakes, blurred vision and shoulder pain typical of laparoscopic surgery but have been able to sleep okay in 2 hour stints so that's good. Have been having some painkillers though which I don't like taking as a rule but I think the circumstances warrant it.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, good luck everyone for your next endeavours, I will check in again soon

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Justine, sounds like a full plate but I have to give you 2 big ghumbs up for handling everything so gracefully.

Sending you healing thoughts and also holding your Mom in warm regard. Please keep us posted.

Hugs,

Linda

Sorry. The posts are "posting" before I am ready to post. Been off roading. I wish the food made me sick but none does. I do feel better eating Paleo. And the funniest thing is I don't drink. (Remember my angst about reintroducing wine!). I need to manage my stress better by continuing to manage my food. It's been a really difficult 2 weeks with my husband.

I don't make paleo desserts. If I am going to off road I just eat a cupcake or a cookie ( good home made ones from friends coming bearing gifts for my husband). I dont ever eat honey or maple syrup or coconut flour ( i never cook anything good with cocnut flour). I just hit the sugar and flour. I have a huge Pinterest page of Paleo desserts. I have never made one. Should i try to bake Paleo desserts? I was not much of a baker before.

Jess -- what is your start date for your next w30?

Juzbo- I hope that your surgery was successful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Linda-- how is your relationship progressing?

MaryAnn-- your Facebook page cracks me up.

I still have no desire to reintroduce legumes, grains (except for a bit of rice with the occasional sushi dinner), dairy (except for a sprinkle of parmesan on my zoodles), or alcohol. I am still looking for a sweetener, but honey wasn't it. I just bought some demerara sugar to try in coffee. That's about the only thing I want it for as I'm not really a sweet-eater. I have picked up a couple of condiments that have soybean oil or xantham gum in the ingredient list, but how much and how often do you use condiments?

I'm amazed I have no desire for 90% chocolate, or red wine. I thought those would be the biggies. I have been to several events where alcohol was served, and found I actually preferred club soda with lime. I didn't feel like I was being deprived, or that I "couldn't have" a drink. I just had no interest in doing so.

Shelley--hugs and prayers. I know your path isn't easy. Hope things are not so difficult with your husband going forward. Ask for help when you need it. You are no good to either of you if you are fried and stressed out.

Justine--Glad the surgery went well. So sorry about your mom. Prayers there, too.

Jess--you sound like you just keep ticking along. Good for you.

Susan and Amy--thanks for stopping by and checking in every so often. Always a pleasure.

What happened to everyone else? I miss Karen and Nila and the gang. And where has Lisa been? I haven't seen her in what feels like a long time. Now I have to go lurking around the forums searching for all these people...

Maryann - I agree! I keep lookind around for those ladies...have you tried coconut sugar? I have seen it but I don't know anything about it.

Shelly - I am not sure which is better, but I have made some paleo muffins and I actually really enjoyed them, I was just thinking today I might make some more lemon blueberry muffins I had made. I also keep chocolate in my freezer and have 2 small squares every night. it's not really an obsession for me anymore because I know I'm going to have it, I enjoy it, and I move on. I always have 70% or more. I am going to start my June whole30 the 1st or 2nd of June. one day isn't better or worse for me, I have planned on June, October, and Feb... hubby's birthday is May 29th, my girls are July 30 and Sept 8, and mine is November 20, so I figure a reset after birthdays and holidays will help me out. and I have neither birthdays nor holidays in those months.

Justine - I am so happy the surgery went well! I was thinking about you! I will keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers

Linda - ok...where's tessa's picture?! you are making me want to foster a dog.

my little girl had some blood work done and her iron levels were low. the doc wants her to do some iron supplements but I think I'm going to try iron rich foods first instead...other than that not much new going on here. other than I DID MY FIRST DOUBLE UNDER AT CF TODAY!!! :o:D:lol:

Hey, ladies! I've been laying low for a while but checking in from time to time to catch up! Since I didn't finish the Whole100, I don't feel right posting here all that often, but I still like seeing what's going on with everyone! There's a lot going on! Surgeries, husbands, boyfriends, dogs, cravings - sending hugs to everyone!

After my Whole50 ended, I went off the deep end for a bit and finally reeled it back a while ago. I didn't see any results and my body was really pissed off so I figured what the hey? I recently had my food sensitivities re-tested and let's just say - wow - it's a long list. Cane sugar, several types of nuts, several types of beans, my beloved beets, all dairy and gluten (which I knew), eggs (highest reaction on the list...), coffee, the list goes on and on... So, I'm committed to keeping them out of my diet as much as I can. It's hard when I go out to eat, but I'll keep trying.

But, I'm realizing my body doesn't like the Whole30 as it's written to the letter. It really needs more carbs than the few starchy vegs and fruits I like. After my Whole50, I've had to increase my thyroid meds. My cycles, which I had worked so hard for 3 year to get back on track and actually ovulate, are all wonky still. For me, that's a tell-tale sign things are way off. My body LOVES rice. I feel so much better when I have it regularly. Energy is better, I'm starting to see signs of ovulation, and my weight is starting to drop. Essentially, it helps me get through the day!

Since I know my issues go much deeper than what can be fixed in 50 days, my doc also did a stool test to check out what's going on in my gut. I'm still waiting on the results. I strongly suspect a bad yeast problem. All my other labs came back off, too. She has me on a few digestive enzymes, a really expensive probiotic (most don't agree with me), and a few other supplements in the meantime. Ugh, it's never-ending...

So, to summarize, my body still sucks, I'm eating what my body needs and avoiding what it doesn't, and I feel more like myself!

aw, nice to see you Karen! come post any time and let us know how you are!

bummer about the laundry list of food sensitivities. you are amazing for keeping it all straight and doing your best to avoid what's giving you problems!

Hi, Karen! Stop by anytime. So sorry about the food sensitivities. It must make it tough to respect all of them. I admire your perseverance.

I made that date and shallot chicken last night. I wasn't all that impressed. I had leftovers tonight and it was delicious! Go figure.

it really does taste better as leftovers, some good marinating in there or something.

I am eating extra chocolate tonight. just am feeling tired and frustrated and had a pretty emotional therapy session today. am I eating some feelings down? yeah. I'm aware of it. sigh. I think there is something in the back of my mind that is allowing myself a little leeway because I'm doing another 30 days in June. so I somehow think I only have a couple weeks to have some chocolate/etc. strange.

Yo! Still here, still queer, still going on my current Whole60 so don't give me a light beer! :lol:

I can't believe I have survived the end of the university semester without caving. It's been I.N.S.A.N.E. And I've thought about junk food so freakin' much. And I didn't eat any. I'm kind of shocked at myself. I go until May 18. I'm getting proud of myself now. I was really just kind of surviving until recently. Now I'm feeling pretty awesome about what I've done. I am tired but not wrecked, which is how I used to feel when I worked at the university full time and got through the last month on junk and caffeine. It's a huuuuge difference.

Really impressed with all of you folks for how you are handling your Post-Whole100s. :wub:

OK here's a weird one. So I just got done with almost a month of really intense stuff. Nothing life threatening, thankfully! Just stuff, ya know? When I was younger, this kind of stress would drive me to subsist on caffeine, sugar, and related junk food. This time I didn't. I considered caving pretty much every day while it was happening, but frankly I couldn't justify it. I stayed mostly calm, mostly rested, and mostly sane. That has never happened in this type of situation before. I was always so fried by the end of a semester that I would be almost traumatized by the experience. Not this time. I definitely need a break. But I'm still pretty much in control of my faculties.

Now here's the thing. When I was in this really intense time period, I didn't follow the meal templates or timelines very exactly. I did more snacking, more grazing, that sort of thing. Compliant, yes, and probably similar amounts of food overall. But as the stress has leveled off (thank goodness the semester is over) I'm finding that I've spread out a bit in the mid-section again, and at the same time I'm just ready to eat huge meals three times a day. I mean seriously. Like the top end of the protein recommendations, piles and piles of veggies, an entire avocado, drizzle olive oil on all of that. And I do that like three times a day. Seriously. And I'm finally feeling my energy come back, I can take the golden retriever for a walk and wear her out again, and the mid-section is going back to its former place.

It's so weird how stress can change body composition so fast; and then eating even monster size portions of food (going by my hunger right now that is, I'm not expecting this will last more than a few days and then my portions will be back to their usual large but not gargantuan sizes) and adding in simple dog-walking can change the body composition back.

Totally freaky. Seriously. I'm like a lab rat for the effects of stress on the body. Because I was eating compliant, sleeping decently at night, and in the middle of what technically amounted to my fourth and fifth Whole30s - and the stress took a toll on my body even so. Quite a stunning thing. The other thing I noticed was this crazy brain fog. I think that's a direct result of the stress' effects on my autoimmune system - the Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

My goodness. I wonder, right now, what on earth would have become of me over the last year if I had not discovered Whole30. I really think I was teetering on the brink of a major health crisis. But I am so happy to say that this is no longer the case. Instead, I'm undoing decades of damage while improving my health and my life.

And eating three avocados per day for now. Win win win.

Three avocados? I'm jealous.

I used to be a stress eater as well. Chips and other salty snacks were my drug of choice. I am finding that now I cope with stress by consuming more fat. An avocado at every meal sounds so much healthier. Amazing, though, how those stress hormones mess with your body composition even when you're eating well.

Yeah Maryann, I'm so shocked to see EXACTLY what stress itself does directly to my body. I've always added so much to that stress by my eating and sleeping habits when under stress. Now that I ate well and slept well, I can see what just plain stress does, and it's intense, and rapid, and clearly visible.

I remember during my first Whole30 I consciously put a bubble around myself to keep myself emotionally protected from stress and upset. I'm thinking this might be a good part of my strategy for life now. Must ponder implementing again...

ugh I would like to put a bubble around myself right now.

right on Amy for walking through it! you are a miracle! ok...we all are! :)

I tried to binge the other night to stuff down some emotional crap. didn't work. I got through a couple pieces of dark chocolate and just quit. and sat with my emotions. sigh.

Amy what a cool revelation. I never thought of it before, but when I do a W whatever, I also purposely steel myself against stress and emotional negativity. Almost like I transport myself to a mental spa. In fact, when something stressful comes along, I automatically go into a strict W30 mode even for a week or less. I rarely offroad so I am not even sure what the difference is but a purposeful W30 just makes me feel more able to deal with crap without my blood pressure going sky high. :)

• Moderators

Amy what a cool revelation. I never thought of it before, but when I do a W whatever, I also purposely steel myself against stress and emotional negativity. Almost like I transport myself to a mental spa. In fact, when something stressful comes along, I automatically go into a strict W30 mode even for a week or less. I rarely offroad so I am not even sure what the difference is but a purposeful W30 just makes me feel more able to deal with crap without my blood pressure going sky high. :)

I also think it's not uncommon for women, especially, to take control of their diet (sometimes in an unhealthy way--eating disorders, anyone?) when everything else in life feels out of their control. Whole30 is a great way to use that impulse/coping for the positive!

Archived