Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beware, TMI coming!

I hate the way dissolving stitches never seem to dissolve properly at the surface and then stop incisions healing properly unless you can yank them out.... It was going septic but wouldn't come out earlier than today though :(

Now I'm too sore to do yoga tomorrow....

On a more positive note my mums operation went well and they were able to reconstruct the bladder, now just waiting for the report.. And to see if further treatment is required.

Been eating really well. Too much cocoa and more fruit and nuts than I need but lots of yummy meats and veges and too busy to snack generally. Very heavy TOM but no pain so that's okay! And sleep has been quite good, better than average.

Karen I hope you can get on top of your health quickly!

I made Well Fed's Egg Foo Yong tonight. It was delicious, and an epic fail at the same time. The flavor was amazing, but 4 eggs were nowhere near enough for the amount of meat and veggies in it. The first side looked like a picture, but because the egg didn't rise above the level of the 'stuff', when I flipped it over, the chicken and veggies were sticking to the pan. I thought I estimated the ingredients correctly, but evidently I didn't. But rather than cut back on veggies, I'll just add another egg or two next time.

Yesterday was the end of my Whole60! Today I ate some potato chips (used to like 'em but now they are meh with a side of stomach ache); and the leftover quarter of my daughter's tuna sandwhich (decent but no better than the tuna with a big salad).

The big discovery seems to be that real food tastes a lot better to me than the junk I still think I'm craving. I mean, seriously, the whole time I was eating the chips I was going "Really? This is it???!! I get more flavor out of a plain sweet potato straight out of the fridge!! Hmph!!!" Now I can see why processed food has to have so much msg and sugar and soy and other stuff - it has no flavor!!!! Then I ate the tuna (mixed up with my homemade mayo, natch) in part of a sandwich, and I really liked it - but later I had more of the tuna and mayo with fresh local greens and a couple of Bubbie's dill pickles and I was in heaven.

I mean, I think my taste buds as well as my body's health response to food have changed. Also, this makes me proud of how I am in the kitchen now. I used to think I was pretty lame in the kitchen. Now I'm realizing I'm really ever so very much not lame at all in the kitchen!!! (And I'm in the process of buying a house and it has a decent sized kitchen and I plan to spread out in there. Zoodles and mayo and ghee and pot roast and chili and curry chicken and tuna and mayo and mayo and did I mention mayo? Mayo.)

Well done Amy on your latest whole* 60 is a fantastic effort. I completely agree now about how good real food tastes... Although I wish you hadn't mentioned potato chips..... I am craving something but not sure what.... Maybe carbs.....

There is very little food I miss. Today I realised I didn't have any chocolate in the house and hadnt for a good while so though hmm maybe I will put that on the list. I do sometimes want a snack just or the sake of it but I don't really have any...

Yeah I'm wondering why all the inner fussing about not being able to have this or that thing. It turns out I am not too fond of the stuff anymore. Also it's confusing. I don't know how to fit that other stuff into the meal template. :lol:

I had a spa day today with some friends. It was glorious. Purifying bath, whirlpools, a massage geared towards balance and energy, and staying up late, chatting with my girls in the hotel room. I so needed that.

I was almost compliant, but not all the way. And I'm ok with that. Besides, my friend isn't starting her Whole30 until tomorrow, so I'll re-start then. Good news, though - we did a little shopping. I bought some clothes in the size down from my fat clothes, despite having my period! The bloat has been minimal this cycle - woo hoo! Though the pain is more than I'd like it to be.

Juzbo - bummer for the stitches and being too sore for yoga...and I hear ya on the heavy heavy TOM. this past one was really crazy for me.

AMY - YAY for you on your whole60! and I agree, we are all such different people than we were when we started this. it seems like yesterday and forever ago at the same time!

Karen. I want a spa day. now.

I got a nice big sun burn today. my little one and I were going to go run a 5K (color run) but she hurt her toe yesterday, luckily there was an outdoor art festival they have every year, $10 and the kids can do about 30 different crafts all run by volunteers. it's a blast. but it's outside and I didn't use sunscreen. seriously? am I crazy?! they had pizza, Mexican, and Thai for food choices. I had some chicken satay with peanut sauce and some bites of my daughter's rice. my first rice and peanuts. no symptoms really but I have this odd anxiety that I'm all of a sudden going to gain weight and go eat a pizza and chocolate cake because I tried two things today.

we are going on strike again next week at my hospital so I'm going to, hopefully, have a couple days to take care of myself. really I'm only losing one day of work - I picked up a shift tomorrow from a friend...something I very rarely do. I worked yesterday, tomorrow, and Tuesday. I'm used to having more days off together. I am super happy I got to spend time with my girls today, I'm trying to savor it. we went to my friend's daughter's high school graduation celebration and it just hit me how quick it goes, how quick it has already gone.

Thanks Jess, feeling much better in a crazy way. I've off roaded a lot today with orange juice, dates, potato chips, 50% chocolate, coffee and last night rice cakes and popcorn and too much cocoa and not surprisingly didnt sleep well. Had some candy today too first time all year.... I am blaming TOM and stress. Actually I don't feel too bad considering and feel quite happy to move on. Still nourished my body with real meals and didnt do any major damage no gluten or dairy and sugar would have been less than a can of soda and I have been feeling very healthy lately due to the quality of my meals so its easy for me to continue with real eating, already have tomorrows food ready to go so back to it!

May be I was just due an extinction burst after every thing I have been dealing with. Very happy to report the pain/ infection is subsiding. And planning to go to a yoga class on Tuesday will take time off work to go since will be interstate for work the three days after that!

Today's rant:

I hate grass-fed ground beef! There, I said it. It has nothing to do with the taste, it's the texture. I am spoiled by years of eating freshly ground in-house beef from Publix. The grass-fed stuff is ground to mush commercially, and compacted so a pound fits in a package barely larger than a deck of cards. You can't crumble it easily, and if you shape it into a patty, you need a knife to cut it because it's so dense. You can't pull it apart with your fork like you can the other. It reminds me of those dreadful frozen beef patties people make for cookouts that are nothing but a tough, chewy mess you can hardly bite through. If I wanted a tough, chewy steak I'd cook one. I've tried to work through it, but I can't. I just hate it. If this stuff was fabric, it would be felt.

Guess I need to order the grinder attachment for my Kitchen-Aid and start grinding my own. I'm tired of picking ground beef out of my teeth. Who ever heard of such a thing from a hamburger?

MaryAnn - I thought it was just me. I finally found a reliable source of grassfed beef close to home, and unfortunately the hamburger and I are not working and playing well together. Here's hoping the chuck roast is better.

After off-roading on Friday and Saturday, I'm finally recovering. I think I am not going to be a person who does well with occasional treats. My body did not enjoy it, not even a little bit. Back to feeling semi-normal today, phew!

Maryann, where are you getting your grass fed beef? I find the stuff from Trader Joe's to be like that (because it is shipped from NZ) but the local and organic stuff I get at my food co-op is lovely. I'm having a hard time converting my husband to grass fed steaks because they are tougher but he doesn't seem to notice with the ground beef.

Maryann, I wonder about your source as well. I dislike the texture of Trader Joes gf ground beef, but what I get from Whole Foods, New Seasons and my two farm sources is awesome!! Low in fat yes..thats because grain is used to fatten steer. I gave up on TJ gf ground beef.

I LOVE my GF ground beef! But, I get it locally as part of my meat CSA and it's not that compact crap in the tiny packs (like at TJs).

Had my friend over for dinner. She just started her first Whole30 yesterday after 'donating' (her words, not mine) to WW. I re-started yesterday as well. We'll wrap up June 19. I just realized yesterday that I'll have to skip out on the annual brat-fest this weekend but I'll survive. Us Wisconsinites like to celebrate our meat in big ways. I'll still likely go for the live music and atmosphere.

TJs is the worst, but Publix and my organic store also use those compacted bricks. Haven't tried Whole Foods, but I rarely shop there because of cost. I am not paying $10/lb for hamburger. We don't have any local beef, because there is no grass this far south. I can get some from farms several hours north, but I have to buy a quarter cow. As a single person, that's a ridiculous amount of meat.

Good Morning All,

I've been following along but haven't popped in in a while.

Amy your new picture is gorgeous! You look so vibrant and healthy.

Karen, did you say BRATFEST? Where? I may have to make a trip this weekend. hmmm

I'm lucky with my beef. There's a place in Lake Geneva, WI called "Country Meats" it's a very small operation that gets their animals locally from smaller famrns. You can literally go up to the counter and fill out an order form of what you want and how much and it is processed onsite for you. I love to support places that are small and have integrity like this one.

I bought a 1/4 cow (huge amount for 2 people MaryAnn) over a year ago and I'm still swimming in steaks and roasts. The hamburger was DIVINE. My best friend and her husband raise cattle and I was bought direct off the farm from them. The most delicious meat I've ever eatn. Big drawback here is she's in Minnesota close to 5 hours away. Quite a drive to pick up beef. Ugh.

The things we do for food.

Juz, happy to hear you're on the mend.

I'm doing well. Seem to be a bit thicker in the middle but haven't been in the gym as much the last 6 weeks or so. Going 3 x's this week so hoping to get back on track.

Amy, after seeing your picture I'm quite motivated to get back in the saddle.

Have a great day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Linda - in Madison! http://www.bratfest.com/ It's the world's largest, you know... :)

Saw my doc today to review the results of my stool sample in great detail. I walked out of there with orders to eat super clean - that means nothing on my list of food sensitivities AT ALL for at least 3 months - and a ton of supplements. In short, she said I have leaky gut / gut dysbiosis and parasites. And that's likely why I have a gazillion and one food sensitivities. I have a high level of inflammation in my gut, exposing me to a higher risk of colon cancer among other things. Eek! I'm convinced it won't always be this way, that I can turn it around and be able to eat a longer list of foods eventually.

Plan of attack: eat clean, swallow a gazillion pills for a few weeks, totally disinfect my house, and re-test in about a month and a half. I'm crossing my fingers it'll show a real improvement test-wise and feeling-wise.

Karen,

I've been through the same thing and took a ton of supplements too. They told me my leaky gut would correct itself anywhere from 3 months to a year. Ugh. I landed right about in the middle.

Hang in there it does get better and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel as this heals.

I'm rooting for you!!

Linda

hi all, I've been following, too, but haven't posted.

Amy - agree - your new photo is AH-MAZ-ING.

Maryann - I have gone to getting leaner ground beef, but I feel like it's not really the texture being mushy, it's more that it tastes a bit more gristly. hubby hates it. I'm getting used to it

Karen - you are amazing! you have such dedication and commitment!

I am doing ok. I'm actually really looking forward to my whole30 in June. I'm not super far off track, but I have been eating tortilla chips when out and rice the other day again. last night I was starving, at a meeting at school, done CF with no food afterwards, and ended up eating the chocolate bar that was in my bag from earlier in the day.

Karen,

I've been through the same thing and took a ton of supplements too. They told me my leaky gut would correct itself anywhere from 3 months to a year. Ugh. I landed right about in the middle.

Hang in there it does get better and you'll be amazed at how much better you feel as this heals.

I'm rooting for you!!

Linda

Thanks, Linda! On one hand, I'm glad I have a plan - a real, solid plan, and plans to re-test to (hopefully) see progress. On the other hand, I'm frustrated that my efforts of 2+ years of varying degrees of strictness didn't produce better results. but, I'm grateful to hear you went through this, made progress, and are on the other side of things. Yay! Any pointers as I move forward? Anything you wish you did/didn't do?

Archived