Red palm oil

NMG

Recipe ideas??

I've had a little taste and it's in the new/odd/nice category. It won't go with most of my European cooking in terms of herbs, spices etc - any ideas out there?

Cheers!

Edit - I didn't have plantain so fried some banana slices. Mmmmmmm....could be a bad idea! Had a lovely sweet/savoury flavour and the colour is amazing.

I have strong red palm oil from our local African market. Is crazy stuff but yummy! Is really good in spiced foods. I've made things like chopped salmon sautéed in RPO with puréed kale and hot peppers. Is good to make anything taste earthy like a strong curried soup or tomato beef stew.

Have you tried using it when you cook eggs? Makes them into a totally different and exotic dish!

There is a recipe in Practical Paleo for a chicken dish of some sort, if I remember correctly. I haven't tried it though. I'll have to give it a shot and let you know if it's any good. There is also a recipe in Make It Paleo (the reason I originally bought my red palm oil) but i haven't tried that one either. (guess what I think I will make for dinner tonight?!)

Susan - I believe there are some serious sustainability issues surrounding red palm oil including deforestation and habitat destruction. I believe (and I'm not 100% certain) that your best bet is to find red palm oil from West Africa sources and avoid the stuff from Asia for that reason. Nutritionally, I don't think there is any difference.

Eco-thoughts so far.

African produced RPO seems okay. Malaysian/Asian plantations are planted instead of rainforest. However, I do believe a tree farm is less damaging than e.g. a soya plantation. It's not black and white. I think if I buy it again I will go for the £1.95 Ghanian option that was also on the shelf ;)

I reviewed my cookbooks.

Practical Paleo has a salmon recipe in it. Make It Paleo has both a chicken thigh and turkey leg recipe in it.

In most cases, they are using the oil in conjunction with some smoky type seasonings to season meat prior to roasting it. I'm going to try the chicken thigh recipe later this week and I'll report back if they are good!

And yes, most containers are huge. I have a ton of this stuff!

Ok, I'll buy a jar, just because I am damn curious. Are there any particular health benefits of using it or it's just a "safe" oil to use?

I think it will go nicely with roasting veggies still. Like Brussels sprouts.

It's good that you can't eat it like ghee :)

Nadia who says we can't eat it like ghee. :0)

Well the research I did was online. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon. Most were about taste and health benefits. Nothing in the descriptions about country of origin but I didn't take a bunch of time. The reviewers into the health aspect all said use it raw. So maybe better for finishing than cooking.

I've been pooping out at the end of my workouts so after talking to FB and my trainer, I am going to increase my fat before workout. Hmm..hard boiled egg dipped in RPO. :)

Ahah i REALLY hope I can't eat it like ghee. I mean REALLY REALLY.

Sundried tomato+roasted garlic is too good to be true. I thought I've burnt my previous batch and it turned out tasting like caramel with nuts. Damn. Enough stress already :)

I've spotted organic goat cream butter today. Now I am wondering, if I clarify it - will it have a bot of taste that goat ricotta/yogurt have? I can't have this stuff, but love it so much.

Ehm...red palm oil...right. I will buy a jar today before gym and report.

Hmmm...smokey seasoning...

I wonder if some pork or chicken, chipotle, onion, peppers perhaps. No, not peppers. Plantain..?

Right - I have a kilo of powdered chipotle (don't laugh, it's the only way I could get it) and i found this tiny little African grocers shop just round the corner from me that sells plantain :wub: so I bet they'd also have red palm oil. Guess I've received my mission for today ;)

I'm not laughing, I'm not a huge chilli fan so have a lifetime supply of whole dried normal and chipotle chillis - cheaper to get the bigbag than the little!

Go forth and obtain strange plants, and report back :D

Sooo I got the jar. It has strange taste which is hard to describe. Saffron-y? Dark olives? My thoughts so far:

- People who sneak fat straight from the jar are safe.

- I would not dip egg or anything in it either.

- Be careful with water around, reaction is brutal. Now I know.

- I tried to sautee veggies in it. Gave them a nice nice crust, but not that much of a taste.

To be continued.

Read about it's benefits here - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/palm-oil-nutrition/#ixzz2PSBaL3YN

Susan, I think if you google "red palm oil orangutans" you'll see some of the info about harvesting issues.

Primal Palate has a couple of recipes:

http://beta.primal-palate.com/recipe/smoky-lime-marinade/

http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/red-palm-aioli/

I haven't tried it yet, but I bet that making deviled eggs with the aioli would be fan-freaking-tastic. (my planned adventure for this weekend!)

Uh uh I love the ideas! Do you think aioli will work with yolk only?

If you do mayo that way, I don't see why not! I've made bacon aioli by doing the mayo thing using warmed bacon fat and it worked great, so I'm sure this will be similar.

Yep, mine is bright red too. So pretty!

Point of note, if your red palm oil comes in a container with a small opening, warm it gently and put it in something with a wide lid or the stupid stuff will drive you nuts. It's basically solid at room temp!

Thanks! I am joining you in trying this one out this weekend then.

I really love the crust and color it gives to the vegetables. It actually might be an option for coconut oil haters. I don't seem to feel distinct saffron taste after cooking. Raw is very intense though.

Catherine, I get the issues, but I can't find any info (at least easily) about the country of origin on Amazon. I think my next step will be to go to WF and see what they have and where it's from. I'll have my tablet so I will then google the country and RPO practices. Boy..it's sometimes not easy to be a PC W30er. :D

Catherine, I get the issues, but I can't find any info (at least easily) about the country of origin on Amazon. I think my next step will be to go to WF and see what they have and where it's from. I'll have my tablet so I will then google the country and RPO practices. Boy..it's sometimes not easy to be a PC W30er. :D

Oh, now I get what you mean! Yeah, the stuff I bought is sourced in West Africa somewhere (I forget which country exactly) and I bought it on amazon. I just tried to find it again, but either they no longer carry it or they've changed their label. I'll check the brand name when I get home and let you know if you still want to try Amazon. Though, it is a HUGE bottle and you may not want to make quite that big of a commitment! ;)

Oh, now I get what you mean! Yeah, the stuff I bought is sourced in West Africa somewhere (I forget which country exactly) and I bought it on amazon. I just tried to find it again, but either they no longer carry it or they've changed their label. I'll check the brand name when I get home and let you know if you still want to try Amazon. Though, it is a HUGE bottle and you may not want to make quite that big of a commitment!

Catherine have you looked at WF, Zuppans or New Seasons for it? I was at Zuppans yesterday but I forgot. I also think I can ask the sellers on Amazon about the country of origin. Just haven't done it yet.

Archived