Red palm oil

NMG

Catherine have you looked at WF, Zuppans or New Seasons for it? I was at Zuppans yesterday but I forgot. I also think I can ask the sellers on Amazon about the country of origin. Just haven't done it yet.

I did look at our New Seasons last year before I bought this bottle and they didn't have it then. I got a good deal on Amazon and since it's so huge, I haven't even thought to look locally again. Though, when I first went paleo, New Seasons didn't carry coconut aminos or more than one brand of coconut oil and that's totally changed, so they may carry red palm oil now too.

I did look at our New Seasons last year before I bought this bottle and they didn't have it then. I got a good deal on Amazon and since it's so huge, I haven't even thought to look locally again. Though, when I first went paleo, New Seasons didn't carry coconut aminos or more than one brand of coconut oil and that's totally changed, so they may carry red palm oil now too.

It's my mission so I will look at all 3. I doubt Zupans will have it but maybe the other two will. WF even has Kombucha SCOBYs for sale now.

Well I went round to the little local African shop that I found. I think they're mesmerised by me, I seem to be the only non- African that ever goes into it. Anyway they're really friendly, they stock 4 different makes of palm oil but the guys recomended the Nigerian one as the best so that's what I got. I haven't tried it yet, he did say to keep the kitchen door closed while I was cooking with it as it can catch your throat? I don't actually have a kitchen door so we'll just have to see. Mind you they also warned me that if i keep going in there, they're going to get me talking Nigerian :rolleyes:

Well I went round to the little local African shop that I found. I think they're mesmerised by me, I seem to be the only non- African that ever goes into it. Anyway they're really friendly, they stock 4 different makes of palm oil but the guys recomended the Nigerian one as the best so that's what I got. I haven't tried it yet, he did say to keep the kitchen door closed while I was cooking with it as it can catch your throat? I don't actually have a kitchen door so we'll just have to see. Mind you they also warned me that if i keep going in there, they're going to get me talking Nigerian

Kirsteen..next time you go in, will you ask them what "catch your throat" means. Inquiring minds must know. :0)

Well some coconut oils seemed to sort of give off fumes that caught the back of my throat, very unpleasant, I stopped using that brand. I presume he meant the same sort of thing but I haven't tried it out yet - hopefully tomorrow. will report back then

I sauteed my breakfast veggies and sausage in my RPO this morning and it was delicious (and a lovely color!). I did notice that it started to smoke in the pan much faster than the bacon fat I usually use, so it may be wise to turn the heat down a bit when using RPO.

OK red palm oil report as promised. I used it to fry some plantain and eggs. Firstly the oil squishes out the bottle but keeps it's shape 'til you heat it so, because the bottle top is the same width as my thumb (I do wish they weren't the one skinny part of me) it's easy to measure in thumbfuls. I kept the heat lower as suggested above but I could tell exactly what he meant by 'catch your throat', I could *feel* it at back of my throat as I was cooking with it.

The flavour was pleasant, not as strong as I'd feared but I did find my lips and the front of my mouth tingling after eating. It hasn't put me off, i need to experiment more and I'll probably try different brands as one brand of coconut oil had the same effect on me but others don't. It's funny, my father keeps complaing I'm on a really restrictive diet, yet I've tried more new foods than I ever have before :)

Thanks for the report Kirsteen. Mine arrives today. I am looking forward to trying it...I think. I may be a little skeered. :0)

Fatworks just sent me an email telling me my Tallow is ready. I'll pick that up on Saturday.

Fat..glorious fat. :0)

Just got my red palm oil and my aroy-d coconut milk. The oil...very interesting. It is smokey..sort of like smoked paprika. This is awful but the first thing I thought of was putting it on popcorn. How dare I think such a thing.

I second the advice to lower the cooking heat - was very surprised I didn't set off fire alarm!

No joy with the cow foot stew - couldn't get the feet small enough to fit in frying pan.

It worked well with courgette/salmon/harissa/onion fry up though.

Okay..still trying to figure out my relationship with RPO. Is it love or is it hate. My goal is to cook it as little as possible because of the blog of David Sisson. Sooo...I made tuna salad and mixed in a blob of it with the mayo. It is pretty. Jury is still out on the flavor but I may like it. I found my 27 YO daughter eating it like nobody's business. She is food adventerous but also likes her long time favorites to stay the same. It's all very interesting. I am so ridiculous.

Fatworks just sent me an email telling me my Tallow is ready. I'll pick that up on Saturday.

Ti-ra-la-la-i-tu! I gloat! Hear me! (sorry couldn't resist it - it was my favourite book growing up :ph34r: ) anyway went out to Whole Foods - and they sell pure beef dripping (ok tallow to you) produced and packed in Scotland - so I bought a kilo of the stuff and am currently roasting some bones in it for broth :)

• 1 month later...

I bought some red palm oil and used it to roast sweet potato and turkey sausage. I added smoked paprika and so I am not sure about the taste. But WARNING!!! It creates nasty yellow stains. Be very careful when using. Your kitchen counters and clothes are at risk of permanent stain.

I am cursing Dr. Oz for the red palm oil craze. I have used it as a supplement for my parrots for years, as it is a food many would get in the wild. My source hasn't been able to get any recently, because it is being snatched up for human consumption. My African grey is not amused.

Archived