Coconut Mill Gives me intense stomach pains

I tried a creamer for my coffee using coconut milk, an egg, and some vanilla, and after drinking a full cup of coffee with the creamer I had some serious stomach pains-- as in I thought I might throw up/I laid there curled up in a ball hoping it would go away for about an hour. I've eliminated eggs and coffee as the culprits, and have tried some coconut milk again but even a tiny sip sets my stomach off. Anyone know why?

I haven't had bad reactions to anything else, at all, on my Whole 30, and coconut flakes and coconut oil don't upset my stomach at all.

I'm really sad that I have this reaction to coconut milk, because I would love to use it in some recipes (especially because my husband would love it), but if it keeps affecting me this way... ugh.

I've noticed (here on the forums) that some folks don't do well with the combination of coffee and coconut milk. However, these things individually pose no problems. My stomach is sensitive to guar gum, especially in combination with caffeine, so that's my current hypothesis. You might try them separately and see if you get the same result.

Yes, I really don't know why but I'm one of the people Robin's talking about :(. Normally I take my coffee black, I always have done, but tried using the coconut milk creamer to up my fat intake. Every time I did, I felt really sick and had a sore stomach. Yet I can use coconut milk in curries and soups with absolutely no problem. Weird :huh:

Ah-ha! I've been wondering if this was possible as I was having a reaction to something that I could only pinpoint down to consuming coconut cream - but didn't think that was possible as I had no reaction to coconut milk in my coffee, curries, and soups. So maybe it is that - or the brand that I used for the coconut cream.

The reaction was not a stomach upset as above but my breasts being swollen and sore (could be hormone related but I have more of a sensitivity rather them being actually sore and it's far to early for that). So I guess I have to cut out the recently discovered wonderfulness of coconut cream in my coffee and see where it goes. If it does not clear up I will look at other avenues....

I've noticed (here on the forums) that some folks don't do well with the combination of coffee and coconut milk. However, these things individually pose no problems. My stomach is sensitive to guar gum, especially in combination with caffeine, so that's my current hypothesis. You might try them separately and see if you get the same result.

Oh, interesting! Mine has Guar Gum, too. I'll find some without and see if that helps!

Archived