When to start exercising?

Samphire

Wasn't sure where to post this as I'm very far from being an athlete!

I used to exercise a lot, but then I got ill (adrenal fatigue and massive inflammation resulting in eczema all over my body, asthma and what felt like a permanent cold/flu), followed by 2 years on prednisolone (have now been off it 9 months). I decided to do a whole 30 as I was exhausted all the time, felt really tired and run down and my skin would flare up terribly about twice or three times a month then take days to calm down.

I'm now on day 13 of my whole 30. My "skinny" jeans are getting loose on me. I can tell that infammation has gone down as my skin is significantly less inflamed and starting to look really good in places. I've just had four day off work and slept and slept and slept which has been wonderful. I think I was hugely sleep deprived before. I start back at work again tomorrow.

I'm starting to get flashes of energy and am thinking about starting exercise again. I walk about 3 miles a day and I go to a light dance class once a week. But i have the strength of a feeble kitten!

Do you think it would be a good idea to introduce body weight strength exercises? I have marksdailyapple exercise guide as well as a copy of convict conditioning. I have done them in the past but never progressed beyond level 1. Either I got bored or I got ill and gave up.

I'm debating Is it worth giving them another go, or should I just focus on my whole 30 and pick up the exercise afterwards. (just so you know I am on holiday for a week at the end of my whole 30 where I will offroad slightly, but not reintroduce gluten or dairy, and when I get back then I plan to go in and do a second whole 30 straightaway).

My motivation to exercise really flickers between yay I should do this and feeling like it is a drag! Not sure which voice in my head to listen to.

I am no expert, but I think that you should start as soon as you feel like you are ready. If you have extra energy now, then go for it! Just take it easy in the beginning (easier than you think you need to) because speaking from experience....those first few strength focused workouts can leave you SORE!!! ;-)

I didn't exercise at all for my first Whole30 and not much in the second, but I've been much better about it now in my third and really, I think my results are even better. I feel so great on days I get in a workout and I wish I'd started sooner.

Definitely agreeing with GLC1968 here--if you have the extra energy and you're itching to start doing something, then by all means I'd think it's go time!

Start easy on your body--I would recommend long walks with ankle weights for an added challenge, light jogs, at home bodyweight intervals (the beauty with those is that you can ramp up/down in intensity in order to fit your personal needs), and YOGA. Don't neglect to stretch, and start with 2-3 heavier workouts per week!

Best of luck and feel free to ask me questions regarding bodyweight workouts, tabata/HIIT/circuit training, yoga, and running :)

I think I've found my new exercise choice!

I was googling bodyweight programmes last night and just wasn't feeling the love or any excitement for it, and then by chance I stumbled across a site called http://shovelglove.com which has the goofiest looking exercises but I'm hooked! Basically you use a sledgehammer to work out and do real world moves e.g. shovelling, chopping wood, paddling a boat etc which builds strength and functional fitness.

This is ideal for me because I want to build strength that is real world useful, and I want to have fun while I do it. The movements themselves are enjoyable and you can make up iittle stories to tie them together like 'building a village', or 'defending the keep from orcs' or whatever!

I went to the DIY store today but even the lightest sledgehammer was too heavy for me, so I bought a 4lb club hammer to work out with. Hopefully I can then work up to a proper sledgehammer in time.

I will let you guys know how I get on :)

I LOVE sledgehammer workouts, so so so much fun.

If you can get your hands on a farm tire, then give tire flipping a try. It's been on my list forever... :)

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Shovelglove? Really? That's a workout people do? We have 26 acres of land with an enormous pile of dirt and gravel and a *&%$load of tires and earthbags to be filled to build a house. Anybody want to grab a real sledghammer and/or shovel and come give us a hand, fighting against the wind no less, you are welcome to. No membership fees required!!

Shovelglove? Really? That's a workout people do? We have 26 acres of land with an enormous pile of dirt and gravel and a *&%$load of tires and earthbags to be filled to build a house. Anybody want to grab a real sledghammer and/or shovel and come give us a hand, fighting against the wind no less, you are welcome to. No membership fees required!!

Obviously we don't all live a farm life. :)

Obviously we don't all live a farm life. :)

haha- me neither! I hated doing that work so much I insisted on renting a house in town until we built our house. (we were living in a travel trailer while building at first). But hearing that people actually swing a sledge hammer and flip tires for a workout kinda makes me think I need to suck it up and go work on our land a little harder.

I would love to come and smash things for you Moluv. It's going to cost me a fortune in transatlantic flights every weekend.:)

i live in a built up area so we don't have handy farm tires just lying around waiting to be flipped or hit. Even when it snows its rarely enough to be shovelled.

Mellibustacey, love the muscles in your profile pic. Very cool. (also love that episode of the Simpsons when Malibu Stacey gets a new hat!)

Slw600, thanks for the tip about working both sides. One of the tips I read was to use your non-dominant hand first, then match reps with your dominant one, so you're not having to play catchup with your weaker hand when tired.

@Samphire--Thank you, so much :) I'm starting to see definition in my guns..I think it's safe to say that I've gone from carrying .22s to .38s haha, but it's been lots of hard work and patience. I'll post a progress pic soon!

Also, this melliebustacey wears Rambo-style bandanas haha hats get in my way ;)

If you don't have access to farm tires or to a sledgehapper workout, fear not. There are plenty of bodyweight excercises you can do at your neighbourhood playground!! Have fun working out, that's truly what it should be about.

And @Moluv...can I come smashy smashy things soon?? hehehe

Archived