Can you really cook sausage patties from frozen.

Samphire

After realising that my favourite gluten, dairy and soy-free sausages were not compliant (damn you sulphites!) I decided to make my own sausage meat patties as I don't own a sausage stuffer.

Patties are not a big thing over here in the UK. In fact I don't think I have ever seen them before and only know about them from reading paleo forums.

I followed a recipe online and skipped the molasses. http://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-breakfast-sausage-patties/

My raw patties are currently being frozen into shape. In the recipe she says you can cook them from frozen, just sauté each side for 5 minutes. I've never cooked meat directly from frozen like that. Would you defrost them first or will they be ok to cook straight from the freezer.

(also fingers crossed they work because I realised after I'd made them I'd bought lean pork mince (12% fat) so they might fall apart in the pan!

I have been making sausage patties for a while now. I used to make the patties and freeze them. I usually took a couple of them out at night and stuck them in the fridge. I did cook them from frozen a couple of times. It worked fine. Now I scoop them with a cookie scoop and freeze the balls because more fit in a freezer bag. :)

Now I scoop them with a cookie scoop and freeze the balls because more fit in a freezer bag. :)

Do you cook them in ball form like meat balls? or do you let them thaw and flatten before cooking? Do you have a recipe that tastes and works well? I am missing sausage :)

Do you cook them in ball form like meat balls? or do you let them thaw and flatten before cooking? Do you have a recipe that tastes and works well? I am missing sausage

Yes I thaw them overnight and flatten them. I never thought about using them like a meatball. That just might be delish. :0)

I'll come back in a few minutes and post the recipe. I think it's really good. My daughter and her boyfriend beg for it. :)

Okay, sausage patty recipe. I use this spice mixture per 1 lb meat. I have used ground pork, bison, beef and lamb. I think my favorite is the lamb with pork a close second.

1 tsp whole fennel seeds

1 tsp red chili flakes (I like spicy)

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

Fresh sage (I just chop up as much as sounds good at the time..probably 2 TBS?)

The last batch I made, I added thinly sliced green onions. I love the flavor it gives them. They aren't quite as easy to pat into sausage shapes with the onions in them, but it's totally worth it. I also bought some dried sage from Penzeys, so I will try that instead of the fresh next time. Not sure if I will miss the flavor of the fresh sage, it may be what makes the sausage so awesome. Another tip is if the meat is too lean, add ghee or some other fat. I added ghee to the bison because it was so lean.

Enjoy. :)

I'm going to check for chipolatas in the big M&S in town. They don't have them at the little one at the station near me.

They don't have them here in Glasgow either :( I'm seriously thinking of ordering sausage casings and trying to make my own.

personally, i don't cook pork or poultry from frozen. I have to let it thaw first. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with lamb or beef though.

I follow the same rule but an exception is sausage patties. I don't like poultry for sausage but the pork patties from frozen only take 4 minutes per side so no danger of unsafe temp bacteria. Also, there really isn't the danger that there used to be with pork. Even good restaurants with a lot to lose serve it a little pink because it is safe.

Climbing off of my food soapbox now. :0)

yeah, i know, susan...but it's a learned thing. mom taught me to do it that way, I do it that way.

Renee, I so get that. My mom still cooks pork and even lamb to death. She can't help it. Actually she has stopped eating pork since she read that they are as smart as dogs.

I think it's all my years in the restaurant biz that acclimated me to change my ways because in so many ways, I have become my mother. ;0)

Archived