Hormones and a new whole 30 - should I?

I am debating whether to do another Whole 30+

I have done a Whole 30 - a whole 60+, in fact, and I found that while it did help on a number of fronts especially weight loss, I did actually experience worse than usual menstrual cycles. This is in fact my biggest health issue (very large fibroid, heavy periods) so it's no small thing for me. I did not experience dramatic results after my 60 days like many people, and I did not experience dramatic problems when I reintroduced, with the exception of sugar.

I am recovering from a broken leg and I'm just now able to walk a decent distance, but generally I can't fully exercise - no running, no jumping, no fast or long walking, no hiking. I have gained a lot of weight because I have been so sedentary and while I was in a cast I was dependent on caregivers and you know, food was kind of "caregivers choice." Exercise will come back gradually....

I've been independent for a few weeks now but haven't been able to put a structure in place to bounce back, so I've been eating WHATEVER I want. I've been thinking about doing a Whole 30 but the hormone issue is stopping me. Also - I got tired of Chocolate Chili, which was a big staple for me so I've got to find new recipes :) but that's the easy/fun part.

Structure really works for me, and doubt regarding that structure means I won't do it.

Thoughts?

I can understand why you might be nervous if it makes your TOM worse. I'm surprised at that because I fin the cleaner I eat, the fewer problems I have each month. Have you worked out why it makes things worse for you?

You could try doing a decision quadrant. Draw a large box and iced into four squares. In each box include facts, feelings, hopes and fears.

Top left corner. What I will gain by doing a whole 30.

Bottom left corner. What I will lose by doing a whole 30

Top right corner. What I will gain by eating as I am now.

Bottom right corner. What I will lose by eating as I am now.

Once you've filled in all four boxes, read them through and hopefully the right decision will jump out at you.

(btw I adjust off to take my own advise on a decision I have to make!)

Whole30s mess my cycles up in a serious way, too, so I can understand your hesitation. For some people, they level out, but for me, they never do... When I do my next Whole30, I know I'll modify it slightly to give it the extra support it needs to keep my cycles as normal as they can be. For me, that means more carbs as I tend to get some new and troubling symptoms when I'm too low carb. Any chance you can pinpoint what that is for you?

FYI - check out Paleo for Women. She has some in-depth stuff about the female hormones and Paleo diet. Might provide a bit more guidance.

Yeah, I've been just reading Paleo for women. There are so many differing opinions and I'm not sure who to believe... I eat a LOT of walnuts and that may be a factor, although I cut down on them quite a bit during my Whole 60. I think that I would definitely need to keep the carbs up.

Archived