Anyone successfully reintroduce without stomach issues?

LouLou

I'm on day 15 and I'm getting nervous about the reintroduction phase, so nervous that I'm actually thinking about quitting and not completing the whole 30 days. I love the principles of the program and I believe I will stick to that but I'm worried about stomach issues later when I reintroduce foods after not eating them for so long.

Here's some background info:

I decided to do a “practice†week before and ease into the program, so many things I haven't eaten 21 days. I started the whole 30 for health reasons only. I have hypothyroidism and mitral valve prolapse so I was tired all the time. I don't have any weight to lose and I don't have any issues with cravings (of course I get cravings but I can ignore them). I have always eaten healthy and I exercise 5 days a week both cardio and strength training. I have a lot more energy since starting the program, which I'm loving and I don't really want to quit. Funny, I started this venture because I was sick of being sick all winter (including 2 stomach viruses) and now I'm worried about getting sick due to reintroducing foods. I can't stand stomach issues!

I've read that many people have serious gastrointestinal issues when they reintroduce dairy and gluten. I already know that dairy does not agree with me and I eliminated most dairy years ago, along with soy and sulfites for other health reasons. I'm really nervous about gluten. I don't plan on eating gluten on a regular basis but I also don't want to worry about gluten being in sauces and other things on the rare occasions when I eat out (usually just when traveling and definitely a bad time to have stomach issues). I'm so nervous about it that I'm thinking about keeping a little gluten in my diet just so I won't have celiac-like symptoms later. I do have a little gluten (bread) weekly at communion and I haven't hand any negative side effects from that. My church doesn't have a gluten free wafer.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'd love to hear from those who have had successful reintroductions of food because most of what I've read has been horror stories.

I have read that a lot of people have some stomach issues when reintroducing. I've also read comments stating that we can have a little bit of certain foods without having issues post-W30; it's when we eat them on a regular basis that it starts causing inflammation and other problems (I guess that's a bit different than stomach distress).

Personally, I have not had any stomach issues. I've reintroduced wheat, dairy, corn, and sugar. I do usually get diarrhea after any restaurant meal lately, even if it's not too far off-plan, but I've never had any stomach pains at all since I started eating Paleo on Jan 2nd.

• Moderators

The people who have issues during introductions talk about it a lot. The people who don't have issues say very little about their experience. I personally have no noticeable symptoms when I eat anything and I've been eating the Whole30 way for 3 years.

If you do have problems with gluten, you have the same problems whether you eat it regularly or not. The reason people notice symptoms after a Whole30 is that when you stop eating irritating foods for 30 days, part of the mucosa lining of your gut that got thick to protect you sloughs off. Then when you eat the irritating foods again, there is less protection and you actually notice the disturbance. If you keep eating something, the mucosa lining stays thick and you might not notice the problem. However, the food is still doing as much damage inside you as before, you just don't feel it as directly.

My husband and I just completed reintroductions for one reason. He has to travel frequently for work and knowing what to expect if he encounters a non-compliant ingredient is important to us. As it turns out, he did not have any noticeable reactions to any of the foods. We followed the guidelines in the book adding one food at a time for one day each.

That said, we both love Whole30 eating and I am happier and healthier this way. I did not know this would happen when I started, but I now know that I would give up every single non-compliant ingredient for my well-being. I would say good-bye to every treat in order to feel that good. A few of the days of reintro's went less well for me because the template doesn't have those foods and I feel as though those foods crowded my plate with fewer nutrients. I had flashbacks to 30 days prior when I was hungry all the time. I don't like that person and that person doesn't really like life.

Food is fuel. If it makes me sick, I don't need to eat it. Happily, it doesn't make me that sick, so I can have it occasionally when it is absolutely worth it and I will. I wish you the best as you decide if you want to continue and with your reintros when they happen.

Thankyou everyone for all the advice. I'm going to stick it out and hope for the best. I already know dairy is out but I still worry about gluten because that seems to be in so many things. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens in few weeks.

Hi LouLou,

Have you tried socializing or eating out yet? We tried it in our second or third week. I think it helped us to feel more confident and comfortable.

Nico

Hi Nico,

I haven't eaten out since starting the program but I rarely eat out. It's usually just when I'm traveling. I prefer to eat at home so I know how my food is prepared and where it coming from. I have been researching different restaurants near were I usually travel and I've been looking over their menus for different allergens to see what is safe. I agree with you though...I'm probably just worried about nothing. I'm sure it will be much easier after the first time. Maybe I'll head to my favorite restaurant in my area (the only one I eat at) for a test run. All the food there is made from scratch and they raise their own livestock and poultry, which is free range and organic. I'm sure I can find something there that fits the program.

Thanks for the great advice.

LouLou

Archived