I caved day 8

Kotie

Well what an Easter weekend. I thought my resolve was 100% and that I was never going to cave. But I did..... on so many levels. The slippery slope began with weighing myself. The Whole 30 program says not to weigh yourself for the 30 days. On Sunday day 7 of my program I weighed myself, I figured that with 28 days of not eating sugar or processed foods and then being on this program for 7 days I would have lost weight..... I had not, I was excatly the same. Now you have to understand that my binges are legendary. I am able to consume a tub of ice cream in a day followed by all manner of sugary treats (and this is not an occassional treat - I am able to do this at least twice a week). After nearly 4 weeks of being sugar free and 1 week of clean eating, I was so sure the weight would fall off me. I really got low and felt that all this elimination and giving up stuff was just a waste of time. By Monday I was really depressed by it all, and I succumbed. I had ice cream, 1/2 a tub...... did I feel sick after so many weeks of not eating sugar - surprisingly no I felt quite fine.

Am I proud of my behaviour? No, its not sustainable nor healthy to eat in this way.

So I am now back on day 1. I have learnt a few hard lessons.

1. Don't weigh yourself - it is not worth it, especially if the results derail you.

2. Prepare your meals well in advance (I have spent this long weekend preparing food for the next week).

3. Make sure you have enough food to keep you satsified so you are not tempted to eat something you should not.

4. Eat a good helping of vegetables with each meal.

5. Write down your goals very clearly and carfeully for the next 30 days and look at them every day.

I feel a little wiser and little humbled by my momentary lapse. I will do better in round 2.

Kotie, high fives. I think your post is wonderful. Ok so you caved, so you're human like the rest of us :) but you have learnt so much and you have such a clear plan for how you're going to move forward - it's fantastic :wub: . So be proud of yourself that you had 7 clean days and with a plan like that - you can do it. good luck and keep us posted how you get on.

You have already become strong enough to turn "I am able to consume a tub of ice cream in a day followed by all manner of sugary treats (and this is not an occassional treat - I am able to do this at least twice a week)" into "I had ice cream, 1/2 a tub".

That's a massive improvement.

Now saddle up and get back on that horse :)

Good for you for having the courage to post about failing. Some other people might just drop off the face of the earth if they don't succeed. Also, thanks for the tips. I'm on Day 4 and couldn't resist weighing myself today. I've lost weight, which I expected because I can tell a clear difference in myself already (I was retaining a lot of water at the start). But I know this will slow down or stop so I told myself I should not weigh myself for at least a week from now. Thanks for the great reminder why. Good luck with round 2!

Hi I did it again!!! I am so sad with myself. Yesterday, I had ice cream on my mind the whole day, and then I went off to Milky Lane and had not 1 but 2 Sundae's - my whole body craved sugar - it was such a physical craving, like when you stop smoking (I stopped a few years ago, and the intense desire for another hit is sometimes overwhelming). I feel ashamed, I just want to cry. I managed 28 days sugar free before I started the Whole 30 and now the sugar dragon has its claws in me - I never realised you could be so addicted to sugar, as I am now learning is most definetly the case. So I am taking one step at a time, I am trying not to think about 30 days, but about getting through this one day. I have joined Overeaters Anonymous (ok so I am no longer anonymous :). My next step is find myself a sponsor to help me through the next month (day by day).

Kotie, take a deep breath and remind yourself you're still taking steps to become a healthier you. You're still doing things that are positive and that eventually you will overcome all these obstacles and you will get there. You haven't given up, you're still moving forward so be proud of that.

You've identified that you've got a massive sugar addiction - a tip I was given years ago was that if you were really craving something sweet, have a mouthful of something really sour instead, a pickle if you can find compliant ones or even a teaspoonful of vinegar in a little water. This can sometimes really help get rid of the craving.

Another tip I was taught to help specific cravings is this. First identify something that really, really disgusts you, it might be slime, dog poop, someone's vomit, the very worst thing you can think off. Then, whenever you crave say an ice cream, picture it in your mind but picture it covered in the thing that disgusts you. Imagine how it now smells and how you'd feel if you were told to pick it up and eat it. i know it's gross but believe me it works.

So good for you for continuing to move forward, one day at a time is all any of us can do. Good luck and ditch the scale :P

Kotin, get back and try again....and get rid of the scale! I am very addicted to the scale but managed to stay off for 2 weeks. I went to doctor was weighed and saw my weight, no loss. I was 2 weeks in and everyone had been saying "wow you look great and are losing alot!" I was shocked, it through my whole 30 mindset off, but I didn't go off because I was determined to make it to day 30. Although I have been weighing myself off and on since then...yes bad girl...I am thinking differently because I know that the inches are coming off and my clothes are falling down! ;)

YOU can do this, think of a different reason why you are doing this....get off sugar...have a better attitude towards food....something other then weight. My goal was not weight so although it would of been nice, I gotta remember I am doing this for my digestive system and seeing what I shouldnt be eating.

Good for you to post your failures to get help from this wonderful forum of people....Be the little train saying...."I think I can, I think I can I think I can"....and then day 31 you will say, " I knew I could do it!"

Thank you all for your support, kind words of motivation and tips. I so appreciate that. I feel quite strong today, my scale is hidden away and ice cream is no where on my radar.......

One day at a time

Good for you for persisting! There are certain foods I just can't have in the house. Ice cream is one of them. Good dark chocolate is another. So I understand the irresistible part.

I, too, have to stay off the scale, it can derail me in a heartbeat.

Pea

I haven't tried this myself, but the other morning I was listening to one of the paleo-related podcasts (my kind of morning radio). They said that when you have a massive craving for sugar - eat a spoon of coconut oil. Plain oil (no you cant sub for coconut cream, I wish :D ). It has something to do with the way it is being absorbed/digested etc.

I know that the perfect way is to consciously work on getting these cravings under control - what is the real issue behind reaching for "bad choice", but if it takes a spoonful of oil to help.

Anyways, life goes on. You try, you fail and you try again. And that is how it should be. Cheer up and get back on track :)

I love the tips, coconut oil or vinegar for cravings. I will try each and let you know which give me better results :)

Actually I off to kitchen right now for some coconut oil - yum

Archived