Pumpkin/Sweet Potato Souffle? SWYPO?

Christina Cowell

I was looking under another post about a couple who were having trouble palating meat and veg and saw the idea of makiing a pumpkin souffle. I have the same trouble and so I haven't been eating enough of either meat or veg. The idea of pumpkin souffle actually looked good so I gave it a try...

I have now made three variations (all have the ingredients blended and cooked at 425 for 40-50 min):

1) Pumpkin souffle - 1 16oz can pumpkin puree, 1/2 16oz can coconut milk, 2 eggs, 1T Allspice, 1T Cinnamon

2) Pumkin & Sweet Potato Souffle - 1 16oz can pumpkin puree, 2 cooked sweet potatoes, 1 16oz can coconut milk, 4 eggs, 2T Allspice, 2T Cinnamon

3)Sweet Potato Souffle - 4 cooked sweet potatoes, 1 16oz can coconut milk, 4 eggs, 2 T Allspice, 2T Cinnamon

This reminds me of a pumpkin pie and I love it! I eat the whole thing in one day (over 2-3 meals) usually with some meat. Because I'm having problems getting enough protein and veg I feel like this is helping me get in the stuff I need...BUT... My concern is that maybe it's SWYPO? I could eat a whole souffle in one sitting as a "dessert" because it does give me a bit of the sweetness that I'm craving. Although that does keep me from prowling the house for chocolate and on the straight and narrow path! I've been feeling like anything I actually really like the taste of is something I shouldn't be having (which means I really hate eating these days!)!

Glad you asked this...

I have half a tin of pumpkin puree in the fridge and have been trying to decide what I could make with it.

I was thinking of something similar but hadn't quite conceptualised it yet.

• Moderators

Anything that reminds you of pumpkin pie is probably a bad idea. You are supporting your sugar dragon and I worry that you are getting calories, but not well-rounded nutrition by making this a big part of what you eat.

I don't understand not wanting to eat eat meat or veggies. That makes me think you need to experience meat and veggies cooked differently.

Any ideas Tom???

I usually steam or sautee my veg or eat things like tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc raw.

Meat I usually just bake or sometimes sautee. There is some compliant "lunch meat" and shrimp that I eat cold.

I don't have a ton of time to make meals and a lot of recipes I see don't look appetizing to me. :unsure:

Roasting vegetables is my favorite. Almost any veg is good roasted: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus, carrots, sweet potatoes.... Find a great seasoning blend, or even just salt and pepper. Google for recipes. Late yesterday afternoon, I put in a whole sweet potato, 6 whole beets (which I later seasoned with balsamic vinegar and oil), and a cut up sweet potato seasoned with a spice blend. I'll eat them on my lunch salads all week. It only takes an hour start to finish (including chopping!) and you're good to go for days.

Glad you asked this...

I have half a tin of pumpkin puree in the fridge and have been trying to decide what I could make with it.

I was thinking of something similar but hadn't quite conceptualised it yet.

Where'd you get your pumpkin puree?? I haven't been able to find it in the UK yet!

You can buy it at Waitrose, I needed help finding it though. It was quite reasonably priced as well, at least compared with other American foods.

And back to your breakfast question, have you tried soups?

Frankly I think it'd be pretty hard to follow this way of eating if you don't like meat and veggies. (What do you normally subsist on?) Your sugar cravings will pass if you stop eating sweet stuff.

I agree that maybe it's a matter of preparation. Some of the paleo recipes don't look appetizing to me either--but maybe I've just looked at too many this week! Have you you checked out Nom Nom Paleo? She has really beautiful photographs and lots of very appetizing food. She also is a mom to two young kids and works a night shift--so she has a lot of time saving ideas.

I was looking under another post about a couple who were having trouble palating meat and veg and saw the idea of makiing a pumpkin souffle. I have the same trouble and so I haven't been eating enough of either meat or veg. The idea of pumpkin souffle actually looked good so I gave it a try...

I have now made three variations (all have the ingredients blended and cooked at 425 for 40-50 min):

1) Pumpkin souffle - 1 16oz can pumpkin puree, 1/2 16oz can coconut milk, 2 eggs, 1T Allspice, 1T Cinnamon

2) Pumkin & Sweet Potato Souffle - 1 16oz can pumpkin puree, 2 cooked sweet potatoes, 1 16oz can coconut milk, 4 eggs, 2T Allspice, 2T Cinnamon

3)Sweet Potato Souffle - 4 cooked sweet potatoes, 1 16oz can coconut milk, 4 eggs, 2 T Allspice, 2T Cinnamon

This reminds me of a pumpkin pie and I love it! I eat the whole thing in one day (over 2-3 meals) usually with some meat. Because I'm having problems getting enough protein and veg I feel like this is helping me get in the stuff I need...BUT... My concern is that maybe it's SWYPO? I could eat a whole souffle in one sitting as a "dessert" because it does give me a bit of the sweetness that I'm craving. Although that does keep me from prowling the house for chocolate and on the straight and narrow path! I've been feeling like anything I actually really like the taste of is something I shouldn't be having (which means I really hate eating these days!)!

As usual, I both agree and disagree with Tom on this one :)

I agree that you need to concentrate on eating meat and vegetables at your meals. If you try to work around that part of the program, you're automatically guaranteeing yourself substandard results. The brilliance of this program comes from the food itself - the vitamins, minerals, fiber, micronutrients, protein. If you relegate yourself to only the nutrients from eggs and canned pumpkin (which is likely sparse by the time it gets to you), you're missing the whole fireworks show. You deserve the whole experience!

Now, if you were to have this occasionally, with another protein source and some other vegetables - I'd be okay with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with the recipe (there is no added fruit sweetener, for example), I think there's a problem with how you're using it.

Take Tom's suggestions to heart. Really focus on getting in three good meals of protein, veg and fat. Once you have that handled, then maybe revisit this as part of a complete meal.

ETA: The only place I disagree with Tom is the propriety of the recipe.

• Moderators

Any ideas Tom???

Some of the most amazing food I ever prepare is what I call skillet roasted meat and veggies. The approach requires a cast iron skillet with a cast iron lid and the formula is the same for every meal. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt fat of choice over high heat in skillet. Season meat on both sides with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper (or your choice of spices) Brown meat on each side 2 to 4 minutes. Dust veggies with salt, garlic powder, red chili powder (or your choice of spices). Arrange veggies around meat in hot skillet. Cover skillet and place in the 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove from oven, transfer to plates and enjoy! The juice from the meat gets all over the veggies and produces incredible tastes. Soon after I learned to make food like this, I ate something skillet roasted twice per day. There are dozens of skillet roasted recipes on my site at http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/. In the earliest ones, I suggest that you can make yourself seem to be a more skillful cook than you really are because the skillet roasting brings out such great flavor. My wife loves Brussels Sprouts with chicken thighs or Bratwurst sausage especially. I love skillet roasted carrots and chicken thighs. The possible combinations can keep you eating for a long time.

Tom, I am definitely making your skillet brussels sprouts and chicken--maybe I'll throw in some carrots, too. Looks delish. I'm always scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan in which I broil my chicken thighs. Mmm. I saw the recipe the other day and I have the ingredients in my fridge. Yay.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Sooo...just trying to get a firm yes or no on this. Tom & Robin - SWYPO or no? Thanks.

I'd say what Robin said -- if you have it occasionally as a vegetable along with protein and other vegetables, it's OK.

If you're using it as a dessert or because you're looking for a carby, sweet breakfast to replace pancakes or cereal or muffins, skip it.

One thing about whole30 is that while there are some very specific rules you must follow to do a whole30, there's also some gray areas where you have to think about your particular circumstances and apply the spirit of those rules as necessary. This means that while, say, chicken breaded in almond flour is compliant, if you previously ate Church's or kfc multiple times a week, you might want to skip the breaded chicken, just to break that habit.

Sooo...just trying to get a firm yes or no on this. Tom & Robin - SWYPO or no? Thanks.

Considering your earlier question in >this thread< I'd say that you're looking at ways to push the boundaries and get away with just eating compliant foods for 30 days rather than looking to change your relationship with food.

It'd be a no from me.

Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering your earlier question in >this thread< I'd say that you're looking at ways to push the boundaries and get away with just eating compliant foods for 30 days rather than looking to change your relationship with food.

It'd be a no from me.

Sorry.

Yeah, just to clarify, I ask these questions for clarification bc this type of thing comes up a lot in the Facebook groups and it's confusing when moderators disagree. Like now. Again. Don't assume I'm trying to eat a bunch of SWYPO stuff just bc I ask something for a larger group. But thanks for your feedback.

It'd be a no from me.

Sorry.

Also, if you actually read that referenced thread, I explicitly say that I'm asking because someone else posted it in a group and we're looking for an official ruling. I wrote that AGAIN just to make sure it's clear to you.

Yeah, just to clarify, I ask these questions for clarification bc this type of thing comes up a lot in the Facebook groups and it's confusing when moderators disagree. Like now. Again. Don't assume I'm trying to eat a bunch of SWYPO stuff just bc I ask something for a larger group. But thanks for your feedback.

Also, if you actually read that referenced thread, I explicitly say that I'm asking because someone else posted it in a group and we're looking for an official ruling. I wrote that AGAIN just to make sure it's clear to you.

Yup. The vast majority of these type of questions come from FB groups where they are a law unto themselves. It doesn't really matter how you word it, or who you were asking for, my answer would still be the same. Consider also that my 'you/you're' might have been directed at your FB group, and not you specifically.

These type of 'souffle' recipes are a bit of a grey area so I think the best guideline to follow is to ask yourself if it meets the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein (that's roughly 3-4 eggs for most females), 1-3 cups of vegetables (with 3 being optimum), and a thumb sized piece of fat (or dollop of mayo, handful of olives, generous drizzle of oil etc), with fruit never pushing the veg off of your plate.

Look at your meal as a whole, and have a think about what you are trying to create with your ingredients...

If it's the fat/veg portion of your meal & you plan to eat some protein along side it, then fine.

If it's reminiscant of pumpkin pie, or some custardy, sweet, carby comforting breakfast dish as Shannon said then keep it until after your Whole30.

Yup. The vast majority of these type of questions come from FB groups where they are a law unto themselves. It doesn't really matter how you word it, or who you were asking for, my answer would still be the same. Consider also that my 'you/you're' might have been directed at your FB group, and not you specifically.

These type of 'souffle' recipes are a bit of a grey area so I think the best guideline to follow is to ask yourself if it meets the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein (that's roughly 3-4 eggs for most females), 1-3 cups of vegetables (with 3 being optimum), and a thumb sized piece of fat (or dollop of mayo, handful of olives, generous drizzle of oil etc), with fruit never pushing the veg off of your plate.

Look at your meal as a whole, and have a think about what you are trying to create with your ingredients...

If it's the fat/veg portion of your meal & you plan to eat some protein along side it, then fine.

If it's reminiscant of pumpkin pie, or some custardy, sweet, carby comforting breakfast dish as Shannon said then keep it until after your Whole30.

Thanks for the info. I get that you're trying to help but I think you're missing the meaning of what I'm saying. I'm not asking because I want to eat this. Frankly, every post I've made here has been to settle a debate in a Facebook group. Our group is not "a law unto itself." We follow the rules AND recommendations. We answer questions with links back to this forum, one of the website references or a quote from the book. That's why it's frustrating when moderators don't agree on an answer. We need a firm yes or no to settle disputes at times. I understand that "context matters" but honestly, that doesn't translate well with people who are new to the program. Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'm reading this as not SWYPO if you follow the meal template and include this with a meal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know I'm not a moderator, but this sure sounds like SWYPO food to me.  Sounds pretty darn close to my "normal" (not Whole30) recipe for crustless pumpkin pie!

If you're needing to provide guidance to a group, probably always better to give the tough love.  Don't let this souffle be a "gateway food" for any of your FB group members!

(But yes, moderator inconsistency is hard, but hey they're people, too and they're trying.  I've seen both a yes and a no on the glycerin in supplements. Not MY supplements, mind you - I never asked). :-)

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

yes, moderator inconsistency is hard, but hey they're people, too and they're trying.

Yes, sometimes we are inconsistent, and we do try to avoid that, but in cases like this it just plain is a grey area. Context matters so we can't give a universal yes or no. We need to ask questions and get context to offer advice. In a case where someone is asking on behalf of someone else it doesn't eliminate the need for context, it just removes it one more step. I would expect the op to go back to their group and point out the factors that make a difference here:

If it is included in a template meal with other dishes, yes.

If it is a stand-alone replacement for a sweet breakfast, no.

Archived