Trouble with starchy carbs? (Apologies for long post)

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm on day 10 of my first Whole30. In case it's relevant, I cut out grains and legumes almost a week in advance of starting, as well as cutting way back on dairy and sugar at that time, and processed foods were close to non-existent in my diet, anyhow.

The first few days with no grains produced a lot of the hangover symptoms people talk about on this forum, but since then I've been feeling quite good, albeit tired sometimes.

My problem is that I think I need more starchy carbs to help with energy and to prevent diarrhea in the morning on the days when I have eggs and bacon for breakfast (most days!). I seem to be having an issue with sweet potatoes, although I'm not quite sure that's what it is, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any wisdom for me.

First of all, since cutting out sugar, sweet potatoes taste almost nauseatingly sweet to me, even when prepared in a very savory fashion (e.g., roasted with s&p and thyme). Secondly, I've had some of those same rumbly tummy feelings after eating them that eating grains and/or sugars can produce.

So, I guess my first request is to see what people think about this potential issue with sweet potatoes, and my second is for suggestions for other starchy carbs to add to my repertoire. I roasted some beets last night to have today, but they're not exactly breakfast fare (at least not a bacon and egg breakfast).

Apart from the occasional diarrhea and being tired sometimes (contributing factors: some long hours working and 3-year-olds who sometimes call for me in the middle of the night), I think I'm doing quite well with my Whole30. I've lost weight, I generally feel energetic and positive, and I haven't really been craving any non-compliant foods (other than jonesing for the occasional glass of wine, but resisting!). The cakes and candy at my mother-in-law's for Easter held no appeal at all. Hooray!

Thank you for your time!

Alyson

Renee,

Hmm. I'll have to give that some thought. It's a possibility. A lot of those listed foods are non-compliant, so I haven't been eating them anyhow. If I think I have a FODMAP problem, does that generally mean I have to avoid those foods altogether, or are there tricks for keeping them in your diet but eating them in combination with other things or anything like that?

Thanks!

So, I looked at the list of foods to which Renee referred, and sweet potatoes are listed as ok. So, now I'm confused as to why my reaction to sweet potatoes prompted a theory of FODMAP intolerance. Any guidance? Thank you!

Hi! sorry, I pulled that list from an old post of Chris Kresser's and quickly scanned. We've sort of been conditioned to feel like sweet potatoes are god's gift to us (even in mainstream nutrition), but they DO get lumped in with folks suffering from digestive stuff. I believe it's because of the heavy load of fructose that they've got in 'em.

If you don't have an issue with the other stuff on the avoid list, it's probably not a FODMAP issue, but it was just the first thing I thought of.

Renee,

No apologies necessary. Definitely worth thinking about. I'd never even heard of FODMAPs. I guess for now I just avoid sweet potatoes and try some of the items Tom suggested. I had a saute of chicken, kale, onions and carrots for lunch, and I feel fine. I wonder if my local Whole Foods carries yucca? I'm going to check it out!

Thanks!

Alyson

I hadn't seen your post before, but I noticed that bacon and eggs is the meal that seems to cause your trouble. Have you noticed trouble with other fats. You could be sensitve to animal fats. I know I do best with coconut oil and also do OK with avocado. I don't have a gallbladder and have similar symptoms as yours after a breakfast high in animal fats.

I hope you are feeling better!

Hey, thanks for checking in, Nico.

Things are much better now, thanks. Most mornings, I have some acorn squash with breakfast. Not sure if that's the trick, or if I was just still adjusting to the foods I've been eating (more veg than pre-W30, yeah!).

Archived