Sashimi

LadyKT

So what is a good condiment to go with sashimi (riceless, of course)? soy sauce is out, spicy mayo is out, and eel sauce is definitely out...

ideas?

Also is seaweed salad okay or no because of the sesame seed oil/seeds?

seaweed salad is very unlikely to be compliant-most places, even the fanciest ones, buy great tubs of the stuff. It's filled with sugar and soy. SO yeah. Sashimi (no soy sauce or rice) is fine. Those iceberg lettuce/carrot salads might be ok, but probably not the dressing. I've had luck asking for plain vegetables (avocado, cucumber, etc.). Since they have those for the rolls, they might be willing to give you some to go with your fish.

I'm going out for sushi soon, so this was really helpful, thanks. I never thought of asking for an avocado salad. Sadly coconut aminos aren't easy to find in the UK, but I may order some online. You can take your own booze to our local sushi place, so why not your own condiments!

Sashimi is one of my favorites, what about wasabi & pickled ginger. Not sure if either is complaint in most restaurants, anyone know?

Pickled ginger definitely not (sugar), I don't know about wasabi, but I would assume it is not ok. The neon green paste coming from a tube is bound to have off-plan ingredients like soy or potato starch. If it is just fresh ground horseradish (paler, more irregular texture) you are good to go.

Pickled ginger definitely not (sugar), I don't know about wasabi, but I would assume it is not ok. The neon green paste coming from a tube is bound to have off-plan ingredients like soy or potato starch. If it is just fresh ground horseradish (paler, more irregular texture) you are good to go.

Good thoughts, thank you for the reply

Just general sushi bar info..... Unless they are getting slammed, mid rush on a Saturday night.... The chefs at the sushi bar are usually very friendly and talkative..... I sit right at the bar and strike up conversation.... Tell them about my restrictions and they just start handing the bottles over the counter for me to read ingredients.... One place I go to had a special that night...stuffed spicy grilled jalapeños with scallop and they were complient.... We had three orders yum!!!!

Never hurts to ask

Archived