HELP! Other Breakfast Ideas - non-eggs

Hi - I am on day 2 of Whole30. I made a Fritta so I have it each morning, but I am an occasional egg eater so it is already hard on day two to have eggs. I added some nitrate free bacon as a side to make it more interesting. I am also not that excited about the meat etc for breakfast. I have for the past few weeks before I started this having smoothies with fresh fruit, protien powder, spinach etc. but I know that is not allowed so need some ideas please

Can I have coconut milk and berries as a breakfast? With a side of bacon?

As I understand it, meal one is the same as the other two: a palm-sized portion of animal food, vegetables, and a thumb-sized portion of fat. Therefore, your coconut milk, berry and bacon breakfast wouldn't cut it in the protein department.

It's funny, I'm on the autoimmune protocol and I would find it so much easier if I could have eggs! I am eating leftover meat cooked with veggies for breakfast. I've gotten used to it.

If I could eat eggs, I would make egg muffins! Chopped bacon, scallions, and eggs mixed together and baked in a well-greased muffin tin.

The other thing I am finding useful is cooking spinach in coconut milk; it cooks smooth and creamy like a porridge. I eat that with my meat, chicken, or fish in the morning.

Good luck to you!

Pea

It really helps to get out of the mindset that your first meal must be "breakfast food" The template is king. Choose a protein you like and have a palm-size portion. Fill the rest of your plate with whatever veggies appeal to you. I have thin-sliced London broil and cold veggies (raw bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, steamed broccoli, roasted sweet potato, etc.) pretty much every day.

I came from a "cereal EVERY day" background to having to change that for W30. At first I found I often needed some egg-free days but also don't fancy a steak for breakfast so I cook up some ground beef in ghee with chopped peppers, mushrooms, onion and throw in some tomato and spinach at the end. Although I warmed to eggs and found after a week or so even on my egg-free days I was cooking one to put on top of the meat mix! My trick to getting used to eating eggs every day was to have a bucket load of vegies at the same time. In between 2-3 cups of vegies, the few eggs almost went unnoticed. My little mantra (and it may or may not be helpful) was that I have basically had my way on the food decisions for 28 years and that 30 days of bending to something I may not like as much was a small price for feeling a lot better. And wouldn't you know....I finish my Whole52 next week and I think I'm going to keep having eggs for breakie.

I can't quite bring myself to eat meat in the a.m., but I do mix things up a bit (I have eggs 9 our of 10 days) by eating fish for breakfast - leftover salmon filets, skinless/boneless sardines in olive oil, tuna. I have avocado and salad veggies with the fish. Yum. :)

I am an occasional egg eater so it is already hard on day two to have eggs.

I think a lot of people go through the egg boredom stage.

I took it in steps. I started with (and still often include) chicken breast, pork and smoked salmon. Pan-fried chicken breast with avocado/tomato/pineapple salsa was nice. I've developed a basic pork meatball mix and made up several variations.

Then a couple of weeks ago I had a big ole steak for breakfast just because I could :-D

Someone advised me to vary my egg preparation as well. So I've tried the muffins, the omelette and scrambled too.

Soon your brain will see it as just 'meal 1' and you'll be happy to eat anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't started the whole30 yet, but yesterday I had some spinach and romaine topped with a bit of cut up leftover steak and salmon. Delicious.

Sweet potato hashbrowns is another idea.

I also find homemade compliant chili holds me over well with all the protein.

I posted about this elsewhere but this topic seems more relevant...I have a real aversion to eggs (as in, the smell, taste, texture etc makes my stomach turn) and in general have a VERY sensitive stomach in the morning (bad smells or meat smells tend to make me dry retch for 10 mins or so...wish me luck if I'm pregnant one day!). I am REALLY struggling for breakfast ideas as my first two days have been somewhat of an ordeal...I've taken half an hour to choke down some bacon with veg and an avocado. I don't know what to do - I want to stick to the Whole30 but hate the idea of feeling like I'm going to vomit every morning from the breakfast I'm eating. Ideas/help please!

• 5 Minute Soup: I always have chicken or beef stock in the fridge. Bring one cup to a boil, slice carrot, shallots, and mushrooms and add it to the boiling stock, then add leftover shredded meat or (I try to keep this in the fridge for breakfast) small pieces of marinated beef. The soup is light enough that you can have it even now that the weather is warming up.

• B-L-T salad with sliced strawberries, sliced boiled eggs, and (now that I can have it again) cottage cheese. Good with or without lettuce.This is my favorite salad in the summer and it takes less than 5 minutes to make. Honestly I think salads are for rabbits, but this is chunky and satisfying enough that even I will eat it and love it (without lettuce).

• Heat some coconut oil in a pan, fry some shrimp, sliced onions, and sliced red peppers with salt, pepper, and some chili paste and basil. Then pour a little coconut milk over it to make a sauce. It's a 5 minute shrimp curry breakfast.

• Slice some apples and stir fry them in coconut oil (or ghee, if you don't like coconut oil). Two big apples and 4 or 5 large spoons of oil, per person. It's good warm or cold.

• Sweet potato tater tots fried in beef tallow with slices of sausage. If cubed potatoes take too long to cook, you could shred them in a cheese grater instead.

As an alternative, why not just eat more at lunch and dinner and stop eating breakfast?

So glad to have found this post. i looked at the eggs in my fridge this morning and shook my head. As a result, it's 11:30AM, and I haven't eaten breakfast yet.

I think I'll have to start eating "lunch" twice, and dinner once. No way am I going to eat eggs everyday.

Now, if I could have BACON... that would be a whole 'nother story! ;o)

I am still getting used to red meat for breakfast, but I have no problem with fish or poultry in the morning. I like baking chicken drumsticks (the smaller ones) and having these cold with a light salad. Or shredded chicken or tuna with diced apple, carrots, cucumber in lettuce wraps.

I will second the soup idea. I had it this am (leftover meat, leftover roasted veg, bone broth) and I really enjoyed it. It had a lightness to it, but yet it kept me so full I forgot about lunch till I became ravenous around 2pm.

• 1 year later...

I often make a chia pudding - a couple of spoons of chia seeds mixed in coconut milk and left overnight. I then sprinkle on some almonds and berries - I even made a sugar free "berry and rhubarb compote" which tastes surprisingly good with the sweetness of the coconut milk.

I have this with a couple of eggs or some sautéed vegies with prosciutto (I'm trying to not have eggs everyday) and I just find it makes the savoury a bit easier to deal with when I know I am having something sweet afterwards. Another sweet treat is a couple of medjool dates with a handful of almonds - also a good way to finish up your meal.

I am egg-free due to allergies. I've been making a puree of rutabaga and carrots and/or squash. Pour a little broth in a pot (like, an inch or less - just enough to "wet steam" the veggies. When it's boiling, throw in your chopped veg and simmer until you can pierce 'em easily with a fork. Blend with coconut oil, sea salt and cinnamon until suuuuuuper smooth. Eat hot or cold, topped with coconut milk! I've found that this is the most appealing way to get my vegetables in for Meal 1 because it's slightly sweet (but not so much that it feels like SWYPO), and I can usually manage to eat a bit of meat on the side as a compromise ;) 

A tip: I find that bland protein appeals to me more in the morning than something highly seasoned (i.e. chicken breast with Herbamare seasoning vs. sausage).

If you can make a big pot of soup on the weekend (Well Fed 2: Silky Gingered Zucchini soup is a favourite lately, I also like Nomnom Paleo's Carrot Cardamom)

Chicken breasts or thighs work + cubed sweet potatoes (I will usually do a batch of each on the weekend)

I love salmon cakes in the morning but they are a bit heavy - so I can understand if they might throw someone off.

I would maybe recommend chicken or fish in the morning.  Smoked Salmon is good (check your ingredients as a lot will contain sugar)

Play around with things a little.  Experiment. Find out what you do like.  It is very important that you do have a meal 1 because this will help reset hormones.  Who knows maybe you can work up to things. 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only person who likes fish for breakfast? White fish. Or sadines. Yes, really. Made in the Venetian way, so you fry them, set them aside. Fry up some onions, set them aside. Finely grate and lightly fry some carrot. Lightly toast some pinenuts or walnuts, and a sprinkling of sultanas. Add all this together with a sprinkling of vinegar and a generous glug of olive oil. Make a heap and it'll serve for a few days. Breakfast yum.  :)

Soon your brain will see it as just 'meal 1' and you'll be happy to eat anything.

Yes indeed! I hit the wall on eggs about 20 days in, but still didn't make the leap to seeing it as just 'meal 1' until about a week after my Whole30. 

After the 30 days, I went through a transitional period of eating nuts and berries for breakfast, or steak and eggs, then realized that I really wanted to get back to the Whole30 meal template because it gave me so much energy throughout the day. Today I had a chicken burger with sauteed zucchini and avocado and it was wonderful! I am finally free of the mindset of "breakfast foods" and it feels great. 

Archived