Rufina Fish Sauce

CraftyCarnivore

I am on a quest for fish sauce that I don't have to order, since I can't source Red Boat locally. I found a Filipino brand, Rufina.

Ingredients: fish extract (assorted blends of scads, herrings, sardines, mackerels, silversides, slip mouths), water and salt, less than 1/10 of 1% benzoate of soda added as preservative. Product of The Philippines.

Is this allowed? If so, Caputo's has it, Chicago people!

• Moderators

Benzoate of soda is not prohibited during a Whole30, but it is not a good choice. I used Hokan Fish sauce from my local grocery before I started ordering Red Boat from Amazon.com. It was just fish, water, and salt.

The problem with benzoate of soda according to Wikipedia:

In combination with ascorbic acid (vitamin C, E300), sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate form benzene, a known carcinogen. However, in most beverages that contain both, the benzene levels are below those considered dangerous for consumption.[10] Heat, light and shelf life can affect the rate at which benzene is formed.

And

Research published in 2007 for the UK's Food Standards Agency (FSA) suggests that certain artificial colors, when paired with sodium benzoate (E211) may be linked to hyperactive behaviour. The results were inconsistent regarding sodium benzoate, so the FSA recommended further study.[11][12][13]

Archived