Gelatin?

Karen

How about gelatin?

http://gelatininnovations.com/pages/joint_care.html

I drop water weight on this stuff like crazy, but I'm out (and bloated!) and wondering if I should get some more or wait until after my Whole30. I'd usually mix it with some juice as this kind doesn't firm up, but can find another way to sneak it in there. My bone broths haven't turned out so far, so I'm hoping this is an acceptable option!

Although this doesn't look explicitly not approved, I'd still avoid it. It says it comes from beef hide and it's gluten free, but i'd be concerned with other potential fillers. (vegetable sourced gelatins, etc)

How have you been making the bone broths? and what kind? I find chicken broth to be the hardest to mess up. Beef broths can taste "off" if you don't roast/season the bones well before tossing them in the crock. (I'm also probably biased because I don't _love_ beef broth, but...).

I've made both the beef and chicken bone broth. The beef was definitely the funkier of the two and I'm almost out of the chicken. I'm not one to drink it straight up, though, so I get it sporadically when I make soup or cook with a little bit at a time.

My former nutritionist recommended that brand and I know she's pretty picky about her sources so I'll dig around a bit more, see if I can find any additional info on fillers. I wouldn't have even thought about that, so thanks!

I always add fresh-squeezed lemon and lots of salt to my bone broth and then I can slurp it up.

I plan to experiment with cooking up some beef tendon, Chinese style. I always love it when it's present in my pho, and I've eaten big dishes of braised beef tendons before and they are delicious. That's pretty much pre-gelatin in its purest form but it's also kind of an acquired taste (or texture).

Can't do the egg, though the soup looks delish! Could play around with that. I have a huge container of beef broth ice cubes in my freezer just sitting there...

And I can't do lemon, either, to spice it up! Just can't get past a funky sharp taste. Maybe I just need to scrap this batch and start anew...

Where does one buy beef tendons?

• 2 years later...

Not sure what you mean by messing it up but if what you are aiming for is broth that sets up like jello (the holy grail of broth) then my trick is not to skimp on the chicken feet- and chicken broth has always been easier for us than beef.  I use great lakes pastured gelatin and am trying to figure out if it is whole30 complaint : )  best of luck with your journey

• Administrators

Not sure what you mean by messing it up but if what you are aiming for is broth that sets up like jello (the holy grail of broth) then my trick is not to skimp on the chicken feet- and chicken broth has always been easier for us than beef.  I use great lakes pastured gelatin and am trying to figure out if it is whole30 complaint : )  best of luck with your journey

Great Lakes gelatin products (both orange label and green label) are Whole30 approved.

Archived