Lamb

I picked up some lamb kabobs and lamb patties today at Whole Foods. I am trying to be brave and have seen the praises of lamb here recently.

I've never eaten lamb, except maybe in a meatball curry at our favorite Indian restaurant. Anyway, the lamb is good to go, but I need some happy stuff to fill the rest of my plate.

What would you eat with lamb?

Really anything nico. Kale goes well. So does cucumber tomato salad. Spinach wilted in oil with a splash of vinegar. Cauli rice. Or..if you are grilling the kabobs, grill zucchini and yellow squash. Roasted butternut squash. Help...I can't stop. :)

Lamb has a kind of heavy taste to it, or it can have, so lighter things like greens and cucumbers would be excellent. Sweet potato also, but I wouldn't go for broccoli or other really strong-tasting vegetables.

Grilled lamb chops, though pricey, are the best food just about ever ever. Olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano, simple and great.

Susan, I think you're the one who has been speaking the praises of lamb. I'll probably be thanking you later.

Ooh, and I just learned of some fun treehouses and ziplines in OR. I think they are on your side of the state. Maybe our paths will cross one day after all.

Scout, I'll have to try doing my own chops next, but we'll start with these pre-seasoned buddies. I am so terrible with new meats, although I have higher hopes for the lamb than I did for yesterday's wild boar. :o

Oh and yes...we are a very outdoorsey state. :)

I worked on the other side of the state...near Redmond. I lived outdoors as an Outward Bound guide. I never made it to Portland, but have always wanted to.

OK, lamb is on the grill with some tomatos and zucchini. Have a little cucumber in some ACV with mint. Now, hubby and I have realized that we have never made burgers in this house and have no metal spatula. Oops. Add one of those to the ongoing hunt for a good fish spatula.

Looks like it will be a nice meal. Thanks, everyone!

Wow! I think I'll be headed back to Whole Foods tomorrow and watching for the nearby farm to start selling lamb. Wow!

No cheating and letting the butcher do it next time. Scout, I'll be testing your recipe. Oh, but I do have the lamb patties cooked for tomorrow morning. Nom!

Lamb is the best! If you can get Icelandic, it's the winner in my book.

Here are a few of my favorite ways to make them:

Rib chops (the best cut, but also the most $$): Chop up some fresh rosemary and garlic. Put in a large bowl w/a T of olive oil and salt. Rub the marinade on the chops. Let sit for a little bit (if longer than 10-15 min I stick them in the fridge). You can either cook them in a pan (4-5 min per side), or sear and then finish in the oven. Grilled is great too.

Rib chops w/ spice rub: A lot of cumin, then pinches of: coriander, smoked paprika, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne and a decent amount of salt. Mix together. Coat the chops on both sides with the spices - cook in the pan same as above. If you don't like spicy you can take out the cayenne and white pepper. I love spicy, so I often add more. this spice rub is also REALLY good with chicken wings.

Shoulder chops with either of the flavorings above - in the broiler for abpout 4 min each side (depends on thickness)

I use ground lamb or chunks of leg for stews, chilis, burgers, etc.

Lamb shanks are best for braising. I've never done it, but I bet you could make a bone broth with the bones.

What would you eat with lamb?

I love roast leg of lamb with roast veggies.

I also have a great recipe for a french-style lamb casserole which I make with cut-up forequarter chops or diced lamb (whichever I can get cheapest). I can share the recipe if you are interested.

I also have a great recipe for a french-style lamb casserole which I make with cut-up forequarter chops or diced lamb (whichever I can get cheapest). I can share the recipe if you are interested.

I would love it! Tomorrow we are going to the farm that raises happy lambs, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and a few other things.

I would love it! Tomorrow we are going to the farm that raises happy lambs, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and a few other things.

That sounds fantastic!

OK, I hope the recipe below makes sense and is compliant. I have chopped and cobbled it a bit from it's original form - a photograph of a recipe from a library book. I would credit the original recipe if I could remember who/what book it came from. Can email you a copy if you message me your email address.

Lamb Navarin

2kg diced lamb (shoulder/leg/chops)

3TB compliant flour

3TB olive oil

1 litre veg stock

2 cloves garlic crushed and peeled

2 onions, quartered

2 x tins tomatoes

1tbs tomato puree/paste

2 bay leaves

2 sprigs marjoram

½ tsp sweet paprika

salt and pepper

2 medium carrots, diced

1 medium swede, diced

1 medium parsnip, diced

Brown meat in batches in about half the olive oil.

Gently fry onion in remaining oil. Add garlic in the last minute or two then add the flour. Stir till it starts to thicken and then add tomato paste and then add the stock

Add the meat back in, then bring to a simmer and add remaining ingredients

Simmer for at least 1 hour, 30 minutes until lamb is tender.

I usually use forequarter chops or sometimes the supermarket has 'lamb offcuts' which are mostly good pieces of meat but irregular sized. If I use 4/4 chops I make sure I get the ones with one main bone in like these and not the very bony ones like these. They're much easier to cut up.

The original recipe used wine and I sometimes put in a glug of balsamic towards the end of the cooking time. I often throw mushrooms in as well, and the original called for small turnips which you could add too.

The visit to the farm was incredible! We got to see all of the animals and find out exactly where our food comes from. They have farm cats, turkeys, ducks, chickens (everywhere), several generations of ewes and a new young ram. There was a young girl playing with rolly pollies while her dad planted veggies and there is a young orchard.

The sheep are happy. Mother ewes and their daughters and grandmothers tend to bed together. The ram's tail is not docked and future lambs will not have theirs docked. Each one has a name and gets a hugs and a kiss before going to processing. They are protected from neighboring coyotes by two great pyrennees.

Lamb is $8 a pound without a CSA share and it is absolutely worth supporting this family operation and their happy flock! We brought back ground lamb, a leg of lamb and a shoulder roast. I'm so excited to eat it all and drive back down to buy more. We started with some ground lamb for breakfast and it was totally worth it.

Thanks to each of you for your input!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived