Tried to make mayo. Made salad cream instead!

Samphire

Not sure if everyone is familiar with Heinz salad cream. But that's what I ended up with on my first mayo attempt. It's not bad, just not what I wanted. Too thin and vinegary to be as good as mayo, but as it turns out quite nice mixed into cauliflower rice.

Next time I will use lemon juice instead of ACV.

My food processor is broken and I don't have a stick blender although I am thinking about getting one. I used an electric whisk to make mine. I do have a baby food puree maker and a reasonably high speed blender I could try. Not sure which bit of kit to use for my next attempt.

Not sure if it was my technique (I was sure to pour the oil in very slowly), or if it was because I got interrupted with a phone call half way through. I tried to keep it going by hand but possibly the interruption didn't help.

Anyway onwards and upwards!

I've only made mine with an ordinary whisk, but have had good results with the recipe from nomnompaleo, both with and without the dijon mustard. (I usually use two egg yolks when I end up with small eggs). It takes less than five minutes, so I haven't bothered trying any other methods.

I use a blender for mine, and I use a variation on the recipe in Well Fed--1 whole egg, 1 yolk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dry mustard. 1 T each lemon juice and apple cider vinegar (kinda make it taste like my old mayo I used to buy), and 1 1/4 cup extra light mayo. toss everything, including the 1/4 cup oil in the blender and then slowly slowly drizzle in the remaining oil. Soooo thick and yummy! I make it about twice a week, depending on what I am cooking.

I use a Breville Immersion blender. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BSB510XL-Control-Immersion-Blender/dp/B004RF7QJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365023013&sr=8-1&keywords=breville+immersion+blender

You don't have to spend that much. I had a cheaper one that stopped working..I had fail after fail. I actually had it for a few years, but rarely used it. So, I got a wild hair and decided to buy the Breville. I love it.

Below is the recipe and method I use. However, I use one whole egg, extra light tasting olive oil, one TBS of acid, no sugar, compliant stone ground mustard and 1/2 tsp cayenne (I like spicy). His method is great and I use it every time. :)

Oh Sharon what a bummer. I have never had a fail with mine. I did with my old one but I'll never know if it was operator error or if it just wore out. I never have used the whisk. Just the grinder blades.

I'll try the grinder blade next time. I should have came here and asked which attachment to use.

Sharon, take a quick look at the youtube video above. My blade looks like his...not sure its called a grinder blade. Picture one you would use to puree some soup. That one. :)

I made salad cream too....twice :( It looks like a fool proof recipe, so I dont know why it goes wrong. In the first attempt, I put the oil with the rest of the ingredients, like the video above, on my 2nd attempt I added the oil slowly, and I wasted the whole bottle of oil. But I wont give up, I will try again, will use whisk attachment next time to see if that makes any difference.

Success !! I tried again and it worked ! the only difference is that I used 1 whole egg rather than the yolk only. I used the inmersion blender attachment, cos the whisk was a bit of all over the place :) I'm sure next time I can add all the ingredients in one go and it will come out beautiful again ! as long as I use full egg. And it tastes delish !

What types of oils do you use for your mayo? I used olive oil, and though it turned out theright consistency, it tastes very olivy(which is not bad in some cases, but in others, it just doesn't taste right).

you need to use the LIGHT olive oil, not extra virgin.

Ooh Cristina,

You use a whole egg? That's really interesting because the recipe said "put the egg in the bowl" and didn't specify just the yolk, but I used just the yoke as I thought that's what you're meant to do. it was quite a small yoke too so that might not have helped.

Mmmmmmm. So is it 2 egg yokes or 1 whole egg? Different recipes have different recommendations.

My need to experiment more.

Can you make this in a 'ninja' type blender? Because that's what I have.

Yep! I make mine in the Ninja and it works perfectly. I had a mayo fail the first time I tried to make it, and just ended up using it for dressing. I think the trick (which I learned from Melissa joulwan) is to let your egg and the 1/4 c of oil come to room temp together in the blender. Then add you acid (I use 1/2 a lemon) nd mustard. Then I pour 1 cup of light oo into a glass measure and stream it thru the top of the Ninja. I find that at the 1:30 (minute) mark its the perfect consistency.

I have made mayo twice in the blender and the consistency was awesone... the first batch eith EVOO was beautiful but was bitter and in my opinion inedible! instructions I used said to mix 1/4 of the oil with the egg, lemon juice and seasoning for a few seconds... Then add the rest of the oil at a trickle...when thick add a tablespoon of hot water... Really good spreadable and creamy consistency!!! Kicked best foods a$$!

Archived