Too many bananas?

Hi, my family is finishing day 3 of our first whole 30. We've got 4 and 5 year old kids and they're adjusting fairly well. Right now, we're not worrying about whether they eat mostly veggies vs. fruit because of all of this being new and we figure that we can tweak things later. However, so far our 5 yo has been asking for 4-5 bananas/ day. She's eating plenty of protein too and a bit of veggies. Any reason to try to curb this just yet? She was a big rice and yogurt eater before, so not getting those carbs is probably driving the banana thing. She only weighs about 37 lbs.

thanks!

• Moderators

I would never accept an adult eating 4-5 bananas per day. They are not good enough in comparison to all the veggies available. However, that volume of bananas is not harmful and if you can't get your child to eat other foods, they are okay in my opinion.

I let my kids have as much fruit and nuts as they wanted the first few weeks. They burned themselves out pretty quick and then did not even notice when we started following the meal template and cut them back to a small serving with meals only. Snacks now are protein/veg.

Can you get her to eat sweet potato also? I tried all these fancy sweet potato recipes until I discovered my daughter liked them completely plain - no spices or oils on them.

My daughter is obsessed with the "apples and bananas" song and feels she must eat an apple and banana together several times a day. So, I keep them in the house a few days a week, and don't have any available the rest of the week. She accepts that (after one temper tantrum, usually) and this way I am now getting her to rotate her fruit and other starchy carb sources. Doing something like that might help force variety.

My youngest son (3) is obsessed with bananas. Always has been. I try to limit to one or two per day and purposely run out at least once or twice per week. When we run out we have pears, cutie oranges, apples and red bell pepper available. He loves to have some sunbutter to dip in.

Can you get her to eat sweet potato also? I tried all these fancy sweet potato recipes until I discovered my daughter liked them completely plain - no spices or oils on them.

My daughter is obsessed with the "apples and bananas" song and feels she must eat an apple and banana together several times a day. So, I keep them in the house a few days a week, and don't have any available the rest of the week. She accepts that (after one temper tantrum, usually) and this way I am now getting her to rotate her fruit and other starchy carb sources. Doing something like that might help force variety.

\

Haha thanks to Raffi I'm 25 years old and this song still runs through my head every week when I buy my apples and bananas at the grocery store.

Archived