Marrow bones

I have heard so much about marrow bones that I went out in search of them yesterday. I had never seen any and have never seen any served. I got some from the freezer by the butcher at Whole Foods.

The guy at the checkout asked me what kind of dogs I have. The moment was reminiscent of the lady at the fish counter asking if I was pregnant and the lady at Target asking how old our child was when we bought baby food last week. No baby on board, but we do have dogs.

So, now I am wondering if I bought the wrong bones. Is there any way to tell?

Now that I have them, how do I prepare them? I read a little about roasting and making bone broth. I was sort of interesting in eating them the way I have seen in photos.

I have no idea why people always think that marrow bones are for dogs. They're not really cheap.

Anyway, both roasting and making bone broth are good ideas. If you go with the broth don't forget to eat the marrow itself. Through a whole onion in there for flavor and added benefits, too.

If budget is not an issue go for the ones sourced from grass fed or finished beef. It Starts With Food has references to marrow bones recipes as well.

I have heard so much about marrow bones that I went out in search of them yesterday. I had never seen any and have never seen any served. I got some from the freezer by the butcher at Whole Foods.

The guy at the checkout asked me what kind of dogs I have. The moment was reminiscent of the lady at the fish counter asking if I was pregnant and the lady at Target asking how old our child was when we bought baby food last week. No baby on board, but we do have dogs.

So, now I am wondering if I bought the wrong bones. Is there any way to tell?

Now that I have them, how do I prepare them? I read a little about roasting and making bone broth. I was sort of interesting in eating them the way I have seen in photos.

I buy from WF's from the freezer beside the butcher, so you bought the right bones. Sometimes they have chicken backs and wings so I will snap them up for stock.

Looks like this is the winner. The bones are soaking in salt water right now and I think that answers my questions about buying more or less bloody.

I'll also refer back to the book for future marrow experiences. Local farms are not currently selling bones and the pastures are still freezing and dry. Whole Foods is the best bet for now, but I'm thinking chest freezer this summer. :)

• Moderators

I don't think soaking the bones in water without salt would draw out traces of blood in the bones. It might help a little, but I am concerned you would get some blood. That might be okay, but it would probably affect the taste. Some people enjoy blood as an ingredient - blood sausage - but I don't have any experience with it.

Many people come to a Whole30 afraid of salt. Most people can add as much salt as they want while doing a Whole30. When you eliminate processed foods, you eliminate a huge amount of salt from your diet. It is rare to use too much salt in Whole30 style/Paleo style cooking. I cook with lots of salt and my blood pressure is great.

Archived