Vegetable waste that isn't

We live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow us to compost, so I am starting to contemplate my waste. It seems to me that I could use some of the stems, bones, ribs and such that I currently throw away.

Anyone here have any brilliant ideas to share? I'm guessing some could go into broth, but I don't currently eat much soup.

We're (nearly) forced to keep our food waste in a seperate bin so that the city can come and take it away for composting as rubbish collection is only every other week.

I've only recently realized that a lot of people only use the broccoli florets and throw out the entire stalk.

I've only recently realized that a lot of people only use the broccoli florets and throw out the entire stalk.

I can't believe that people throw these away! The first time I heard of this was on this forum. Eat your broccoli stalks, everyone! (Or send them to me so I can eat them!)

Nico, you can save them all for broths/stocks. I have a separate bag in my freezer for veggies, beef, poultry and seafood (lobster shells, anyone?!)

There are some veggies that aren't good for broth making, I think broccoli's one of them, so read up on that a little. Otherwise, compost on the sly. ;)

Nico, you can save them all for broths/stocks. I have a separate bag in my freezer for veggies, beef, poultry and seafood (lobster shells, anyone?!)

There are some veggies that aren't good for broth making, I think broccoli's one of them, so read up on that a little. Otherwise, compost on the sly. ;)

Renée, I currently keep my absolute poultry waste in my freezer! I can't wait to have more room for food. Our trashcan has to live inside of our garage and I was recently cited for putting it out the night before collection. Nevermind that it tucks into a space behind my husband's truck and he often leaves after trash collection. Anyway, if they notice the trash being out, I think they'll see compost. And, because my trash lives inside, my poultry packages live in the freezer. I did contact a small farm nearby to see if they compost.

As for those veggies in your freezer...what do you save?

They won't allow you to compost????? I'm not even going to start on that.

I don't know how interested you are in composting, but you could vermicompost in your garage or even inside... here's a few links:

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/ss/setupawormbin.htm

http://www.mass.gov/dep/recycle/reduce/vermi.htm

http://www.nyworms.com/vermicomposting.htm

I don't know if you have a dog, but ours love collard green stems, any part of broccoli, etc.

Thanks, Emily! I will keep those links for our next home. My husband would never go for composting in the house. Our garage has two spaces. One fits my subaru and one fits his toyota. The fit is very tight with room to walk in between and a few gardening supplies, the trash, and recycling on the side. Thank goodness recycling is included in the HOA fees, though. In our hometown, recycling doesn't even exist, except aluminum cans and some scrap metal.

I do have two pups. We check the ASPCA website for safety and they get to eat a lot of our veggies including, carrots, celery, zuchinni, kale stems, asparagus, sweet potato, and some fruit when we have it. I'll add collards to the list. Makes me think I can give them some of the rainbow chard stems I saved last night. They really love the Whole30!

I can't imagine burying scraps. We live in an arid climate with a ton of wildlife, including racoons and rabid skunks. I am not a fan of feeding wildlife and we don't have the moisture rich ground full of creepy crawlies to process our food.

We also have a carefully landscaped space, where, in addition to not composting and keeping our trash indoors, we are required to have grass and keep it healthy.

Our next home will have a backyard, at minimum, and composting will be easier.

Archived