Constantly thirsty

I am on day 19 of my first Whole30, and the only real major difference I have noticed so far--I will probably have to keep this up for a few more weeks past 30, I'd say--is that I have gone from never, EVER being thirsty before (seriously, the only way I would remember to drink water outside of a workout is by setting a timer on my cell or by keeping a bottle in front of me during meals) to now being thirsty constantly.

Is this normal or should I be concerned that something else is going on?

I think to an extent it is normal. I can't go anywhere without a water bottle. I read somewhere that most Americans have dulled their sense of thirst to the point they do not recognize it and frequently mistake it for hunger. So, as we learn to listen to our bodies and feed it in a way it was meant to be nourished, that recognition naturally comes back. I wonder how many compulsive snackers are actually thirsty, not hungry, but have simply lost the ability to interpret the signals correctly.

I felt the exact same way. I NEVER was thirsty before, and when I started this journey it was like I simply COULD NOT DRINK ENOUGH. it's better now, but I still drink a lot of water and there are times when I just want more more more. maybe it was the fact that I only drank coke zero and coffee before? I wouldn't be concerned about it. if you were having increased levels of thirst, constantly hungry and needing to eat every hour, and peeing like never before you could possibly think of something like diabetes (type 1) but I think it's just your body adjusting.

• 4 months later...

I was constantly getting extremely thirsty in the beginning of the Paleo and it got really crazy by the second week to the point 15 minute car ride without water was getting painful. My throat even had a burning sensation.

I had to drink all day long.

Then it settled down but after 6 weeks, it's back again!

I have never had this must thirst. :blink:  

I've found that when I cut back the starches and any forms of sugar for a time (like when I took the whole30 to the next level and added the 21 day sugar detox), any little sugar (1/2 a cup of berries for example) would make me ridiculously thirsty for the day. Are you getting a little fruit every day? At least for me, that makes the difference so that I can have the berries and not the crazy thirst.

Your probably eating way more protein than you used to...it's takes much more water for your system to digest protein than carbs

Plus since you've cut ou most if not all processed foods, your sodium intake is probably way down and your potassium intake is way up ( which is good) so your not holding onto an extra gallon or so due to fluid retention.... Ero your thirsty...

"Drink, drink, raise your glass,raise your glass high". ( ok, without googling, who can tell me what song that's from?)

Bowie!!  :wub:

But of course, I googled it.

But I had you for a minute there, didn't I?

Internet can be so deceiving...

I'm on Day 21 of my first Whole 30 -drinking SO MUCH MORE water than before -and I used to think I drank tons of it already.

Loving it.

Archived