Day 17 . . . and it seems too easy!!n

SonyaT

Is that completely horrible? I have spent the last half hour reading so many posts about people getting stuck or getting off track and starting again and I have honestly spent the last few days thinking about how well this past couple of weeks has gone for me and that each day seems to get easier and more normal feeling than the last.

I started my Whole30 on March 18th after a healthy dose of drinking and eating heavily on St Paddy's day and it has honestly been pretty smooth sailing from the start. I expected a gigantic crash/detox flu sort of event since within the first week since I have experienced that in the past after cutting carbs out of my life. But I other than feeling a little sluggish the first week I have had no other issues. And let me tell you, I was in a HUGE processed/toxic/sugar-filled/unhealthy spiral before I started.

I have been overweight my entire life, have PCOS and KNOW that I have insulin resistance and yet here I was shoving all this processed crap down my throat!! It was completely out of control!! We had even gotten so bad that my husband had gotten in the habit of asking what was for desert after dinner. Seriously!!?!?!?! We've never been desert after dinner people, mostly because I know how bad those empty carbs are for me at night. But it had become a NIGHTLY event. Wow.

Then I stumbled across "It Starts With Food" and I knew this sounded like just the boost I needed. So far I haven't been wrong!! I have always considered myself a 'foodie' not only because I love to eat it ;) but also because I LOVE to cook. It is my creative outlet. And I am really good at it. Perhaps this is why I have found the beginning of my Whole30 to be so easy/natural feeling. I am really getting back to cooking and creating good, wholesome food. And I'm loving it!!

So I guess the point of this long, rambling post: I think I'm feeling guilty about how well this is going for me!! I think I am hoping for some reassurance that feeling this good while getting healthy and feeling good ABOUT getting healthy is ok. :unsure: Seems kind of silly, I know. But I have struggled with food for so long and its possible I am scared this is too good to be true!!!

Don't feel guilty - I felt it was pretty easy for me too! I had three random days where I was sorely tempted - mostly because of emotional stuff. But otherwise, it was pretty simple. Just stick to what's compliant, easy enough!

I think it helps if you have some kind of previous experience with preparing your own meals on a regular basis. You sort of have a leg up because you already know how to cook, and enjoy it. If you were someone who literally just opened a package for every meal before this, I could see it being a much bigger mountain.

I have to say other than having days of being completely an utterly exhausted, I haven't had carb-flu symptoms for any of my whole 30's. I've had mild versions of the kill all things days too. But pretty calm compared to some of the posters that I see here.

I have to say I felt the same as you Sonya when I read all the posts from people struggling. I kept wondering if I was actually doing it right because it seemed so easy. Sure there have been temptations (I work in a kitchen so am CONSTANLY surrounded by food I can't eat. I have to get the other chef to taste food to see that it's cooked and tastes OK because I flatly refused to eat it) but aside from that, I haven't found it difficult. I'm a few days away from finishing a Whole52 (was going to be a W45 but added an extra week after doubting the compliance of my balsamic vinegar) and it's pretty much been smooth sailing. I'm glad I came across your post because sometimes I felt a bit guilty reading about how so many people were doing it tough. Good job!

I went from total crap to Whole30 in 12 hours (decided on the spur of the moment). I felt great immediately and better each day. I've been eating this way ever since, with detours between actual Whole30s to test out if I REALLY needed that thing I was craving. (Turns out, I didn't.) I have always attributed my feeling better each day throughout my first Whole30 to the fact that I felt like absolute crap before. I could hardly feel worse. Ha!

Anyway, enjoy!

I think knowing how to cook (and being willing to cook) help tremendously.

Also, I tend to have some cravings creep back in around days 20-24... just a heads up.

Enjoy! Can't wait to read your thirty day wrap up!

Thank you so much for all of the feedback!! I know how lucky I am that I love to cook and your thoughts have made me realize that I may have an eye opener when I attempt to venture out in the real world. ;) We haven't eaten out since I started and honestly I think that task might prove daunting at some point but I will cross that bridge when I get there!

AmyS- That is kind of what I have been thinking all along too: I was feeling so HORRIBLE before I started that I had nowhere to go but up. I really think my body is thanking me. :)

Thanks again for all the support. I have struggled with food issues so much in the past that even talking openly about my eating habits creates huge anxiety for me but I really appreciate the community that exists here and I'm excited to be a part of it!

When I did my first whole30 in jan, I too found it easy. I did struggle the first week with headaches, which I was expecting having done "detoxes" in the past. From the second week on I felt great. Now my husband however, experienced major sideeffects from day 7-14 (tmi but spent a lot of time running back & forth to the toilet) which we attributed to introducing coconut oil. When I reduced/stopped cooking in that for awhile things improved, but he never experienced the increased energy everyone talks about, but he kept with it mainly because he saw how great I was doing.

I really do believe that knowing how to cook/adapt recipes makes a huge difference, as it is one less thing to be daunted by.

Archived