Almond Butter

Is anyone else seemingly addicted to nut butters? For me, it's almond butter. Specifically, Trader Joe's creamy unsalted brand. I don't over-do it too much each day, but it takes a lot of willpower to go a day without it. Sometimes I purposely do not buy it for a week to give myself a break from it, but its just so rich and creamy...and Whole30 approved!

Anyone else?

I think you will find a lot of people here that identify nut butters as food without brakes. One way I have avoided the issue is to make my own. You don't feel good plowing through a jar when you know how much the organic nuts going into it cost!

It may be a food you are using to replace sugar or treats; that reason alone makes it one to avoid.

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah. Almond butter is sinfully good...so I no longer allow myself to buy it. If I could find some single serving packets I might do that once in awhile, but a whole jar? Never again.

Nut butter is a no no for me sadly on the Whole 30, as it's something I've binged on in the past. I'd love to have some almond butter but if I have a jar in the house...!

I just have a piece of fruit. It's been oranges this week. I also have sweet elements in my meals sometimes. But, generally, I'm trying to get away from the 'dessert' mindset. A nice cup of your favourite hot drink is always good.

The idea of dessert is one of the habits that W30 is trying to correct..... Nut butters and fruit are fine within the confines of a template meal.... "Chicken salad with 1/4 Granny Smith apple, homemade mayo and 1 tsp of crunchy nut butter on top off a big bed of greens"....

Once you start just munching on nuts-fruit, you are succumbing to old habits, not retraining your brain, or letting your hormones reset so you won't crave all kinds of food at all hours..... Dessert is a learned habit, your probably not truly hungry, if you were sardines and steamed broccoli would sound good late at night....

Even a plain bowl of strawberries is and should be a no no.... Just eat them with your meal as long as you don't push veggies off your plate...

What are some Whole30 approved "desserts" that you eat? Specifically, prior to bed.

If you find yourself hungry before bed, you may not be eating enough at your meals. Hunger, as described in ISWF, is asking yourself if you are hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli. If that doesn't sound good, it is likely a craving and not hunger.

I do find that if I am hungry prior to bedtime, it also just might mean that my body is telling me that if I keep staying up, I need more fuel to do so. In that case, it is time to go to bed!

If you find yourself hungry before bed, you may not be eating enough at your meals. Hunger, as described in ISWF, is asking yourself if you are hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli. If that doesn't sound good, it is likely a craving and not hunger.

I do find that if I am hungry prior to bedtime, it also just might mean that my body is telling me that if I keep staying up, I need more fuel to do so. In that case, it is time to go to bed!

I totally relate to what you are saying about needing to just go to sleep!

The idea of dessert is one of the habits that W30 is trying to correct..... Nut butters and fruit are fine within the confines of a template meal.... "Chicken salad with 1/4 Granny Smith apple, homemade mayo and 1 tsp of crunchy nut butter on top off a big bed of greens"....

Once you start just munching on nuts-fruit, you are succumbing to old habits, not retraining your brain, or letting your hormones reset so you won't crave all kinds of food at all hours..... Dessert is a learned habit, your probably not truly hungry, if you were sardines and steamed broccoli would sound good late at night....

Even a plain bowl of strawberries is and should be a no no.... Just eat them with your meal as long as you don't push veggies off your plate...

This was such extremely helpful advice! I am a huge desert eater and mid morning/mid afternoon snacker and on Whole30 I could justify it because they were healthy fruit/raw nut choices. However, I am NOT hungry, but it's pure habit and emotional connection, and I love hearing more about Whole30's advice around why no snacks and desserts.

I am on week 2 of my first Whole30 and I've been blogging about these emotional changes and shifts at: www.breakingthrubarriers.wordpress.com and I look forward to talking about this and not having daily snacks appear in my menu lists.

Thanks so very much!

Kate

all of this was so helpful. I have been looking for a nut butter/almond butter to snack on and after reading this I know its a no no. I love almond butter and used it before in replace of peanut butter when I first went paleo. I would eat the entire jar in one or two days. I now know it was more of a habit and a craving. I will not be purchasing nut butters for this whole30! Thanks!

all of this was so helpful. I have been looking for a nut butter/almond butter to snack on and after reading this I know its a no no. I love almond butter and used it before in replace of peanut butter when I first went paleo. I would eat the entire jar in one or two days. I now know it was more of a habit and a craving. I will not be purchasing nut butters for this whole30! Thanks!

A hard but necessary decision!

I don't eat nut butter except coconut mostly because I'm a peanut butter lover and don't need to transfer that food without breaks! BUT, I do make this delicious recipe (and after making it eat the entire batch within 2 days because it's so frickin good) but I use cashew butter, I'm just not a fan of almond for some reason

http://www.barefoodcooking.com/vegetables/almond-butter-cabbage/

I don't eat nut butter except coconut mostly because I'm a peanut butter lover and don't need to transfer that food without breaks! BUT, I do make this delicious recipe (and after making it eat the entire batch within 2 days because it's so frickin good) but I use cashew butter, I'm just not a fan of almond for some reason

http://www.barefoodcooking.com/vegetables/almond-butter-cabbage/

Omg..can't wait to try this. I have kept nuts and their butters out of my life for at least 4 W30s. I think I am ready to give it a go. I agree on the almond butter..never liked almonds. Mac butter is what I am thinking.

I buy individual 100% organic 1.19 oz packets of raw almond butter by Artisana. I found them at a local healthy foods market. I carry them with me as a just in case when I need some protein before/during a workout. I know that I should have a proper pre-workout meal, however, if in a bind, this is better than nothing. I'm going to be traveling a bit while on the Whole30 and plan to have some on hand. I like that the packets are measured out so I can't eat a whole jar.

I don't care for almond butter at all, actually. Hazelnut butter, however - WOWZA. Cashew butter is pretty good, too. Tried walnut butter the other day - it's alright, but not sweet at all, I think it'd actually be a good salad dressing component rather than something to have with fruit or some other sweet meal.

Archived