More Autoimmune Questions

I've been doing AIP for a week now and I have another question. I tried coconut butter and it did not sit well. Felt very nauseated, tired, had to lie down, crampy, etc. I assume that means I should avoid it. But, now I'm noticing bloating, gassiness with other foods. If something makes me bloated/gassy does that mean I should avoid it? Today it was spaghetti squash. I ate it alone with coconut oil. I suppose it could be the coconut oil, but I've been eating that for awhile and hadn't noticed a difference. I had eaten a small amount of fermented saurkraut prior to the squash so I suppose it could've been that, but it was a little while earlier and the boating started right after the squash. Should I avoid any foods that cause GI distress? It didn't feel like I felt with the coconut butter, but still bothersome. Thanks!

Hi my basic rule of thumb is that I think something is upsetting me, i cut it out for several days and before i try it again i make sure that, firstly I'm feeling fine when I try it and secondly, all the other foods I eat with it are ones i know I'm ok with. Unfortunately, like you, I'm beginning to think coconut butter is not my friend :( so I'm going to give it a week before I try it again and then we'll see. good luck

I also have extremely temperamental digestion so this is just my own experience but I have had almost the same reaction to the coconut butter. I reacted to many other things afterwards and that seems to be the case with any reaction- so instead of thinking I can't eat whatever else after the INITIAL reaction, I just remove the food that gave me the first reaction, return to my known "safe foods" for a few meals, then try the other things again. In your example, remove the coconut butter and then once your tummy has calmed down try coconut oil and sauerkraut again. On AIP it's important to remove foods that you react to, but you have to be careful during an extended reaction or you start to think you are reacting to EVERYTHING and there won't be any food left.

That is how I am starting to feel. Like EVERYTHING is bothering me! Can someone explain to me why my gut seems way more sensative now (like I can't tolerate anything)? I was doing the Whole 30 AIP, and feel like it is super limited, but still so much seems to be making me bloated and sometimes gassy too. I actually started a variation of the GAPS diet today (mainly slow cooked meats, bone broth and a handful of veggies that are low FODMAP and low starch). I'm wondering if I could have SIBO. I am going to go to the Dr. this week. I've been trying to avoid MD's but feel like my family is going to freak if they find out all I can eat is broth and a little meat with a few veggies and I haven't gone to a doctor to make sure I'm not dying or something. It is just so hard to find a good Dr these days who thinks nutrition is important. I will say, my gut feels the best it has felt in a LONG time today, so I guess that is something.

I think it's a good idea to let a dr test you for other more serious problems but I would install a filter over your ears when it comes to their ideas about your diet. Gaps/w30 AIP is, IMHO, the best shot you have at long term healing- even if you are diagnosed with an autoimmune or digestive disorder medication alone cannot heal- at best you can manage symptoms. I feel my best when I eat grassfed beef and mashed root veggies. I get tired of that of course and start dabbling in other foods and keep reacting so I know I just need more time. Good luck to you!

Archived