Mushroom recipes?

moggle

I'd like to eat more mushrooms, only problem is I'm still fairly new to eating them (hated them for years) and I don't like their flavour on their own (fried in oil or roasted etc).

I do like them in sauces (in stews, curries etc) and looking for suggestions of flavourings I could add or ways of serving them on their own or in combination with other veg.

Thanks in advance!

How about sausage stuffed mushrooms.

Everyday Paleo has a FANTASTIC Portabella Stuffed Mushrooms recipe. I also think that Practical Paleo has a stuffed mushrooms recipe as well.

As of late I have been taking 10-12 regular size mushrooms, slicing them, and then frying them up in some ghee at breakfast. They are really good in ghee.

Tricia

www.expatpaleo.com

Mushrooms are good with parctically any and everything imho :)

Slice 'em up, add to a scramble with a hearty handful of spinach and sliced red onion. Mmmmm.

Or, add them to a hot pan with coconut oil, lots of minced fresh garlic, half of a large yellow onion and salt and pepper, sautee to your liking, serve on top of a steak/chicken breast/pork chop....

mmmmm, now I want mushrooms :)

I am IN LOVE with this collard green & mushroom stir fry: http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2013/03/collard-greens-stir-fry-recipe.html

In order for it to be whole30 compliant, I would use ghee as the cooking fat, leave out the cornstarch (optional ingredient and unnecessary in my opinion), and substitute coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. I believe the sesame oil drizzle at the end is ok, since it not heated? Anyway, this is a really delicious recipe (I'd add some sautéed chicken breast, as well)!! I make it at least once a week :)

MelliebuStacey nailed it. Hands down best combination ever - mushrooms, onions and garlic in oil. I love ghee.

You can also use a portobello cap (grilled or oven baked) as a burger bun. Perfect for packing a snack/meal to go. Nomnom has several recipes of roasted mushroom caps/whole mushrooms as well.

Try nomnom's asian meatballs with shiitake too. Shiitake are my favorite. So much flavor. They make kitchen sink stir-fry sing. Try this Thai Basic Chicken with them.

You can make pate and use it as topper for eggs and burgers/sliders. I've tried walnut/mushrooms spread several times, it's pretty good.

And of course, soup! Tons of recipes out there. E.g - this one. Skip yeast and it is absolutely fine without arrowroot (which is still allowed as thickener). Make sure to add some protein to your lunch plate :)

if you have access to Enoki mushrooms (long skinny white asian mushroom sold in pack w/ the root), typically available in asian markets, they're fantastic in burgers. (i just experimented successfully this weekend.) i used about 1.5# of 88% lean ground beef, 1 pack of enokis chopped to 1/2" lengths, steak seasoning, and mixed it all up. (taste test a morsel by nuking it for 15+ seconds to know if it's enough seasoning). cook thru, and serve. it's delish. the mushrooms totally keep the patty moist and not too dense. (to use the mushrooms, chop off the bottom 2-3" of root/stem, all top is usable. compost the bottom)

taste test a morsel by nuking it for 15+ seconds to know if it's enough seasoning

That burger sounds quite tasty, and also despite being a frequent microwave user, I'd never thought of doing this to test burger/meatball seasoning! Thanks for the tip.

I used to hate mushrooms too, but now I love them. I find that their flavor works really well if they're cooked with onions. Also, cooking them in balsamic vinegar is AMAZING. :)

I gotta try this. I LOVE balsamic. And I just found a decent one at the supermarket that's the right balance of affordable and syrupy rather than vinegary.

Would you add anything else? Onion/garlic/herbs?

Oh oh enoki, how could I forget. Good call! They make phenomenal fritters. Did I say phenomenal?

Beat eggs, add chopped onions, shredded carrots and cut enoki (i like mine to be around 3/4 inch long) + Salt pepper spices. Scoop and fry on both sides.

They look like this.

7E7D8693-CC55-42FE-A614-F06C9E05E463-250-0000001D412276DA_zpse4de2ebf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All of those things sound good to add! :)

Thanks again for the balsamic suggestion. I tried it a few days ago, just oil (can't remember now if I used clarified butter or olive oil) and good quality balsamic, plus salt of course. Lush and reheated nicely for breakfast too.

Can't see a topic on mushrooms and not pipe in! Here is my recipe for magical mushrooms:

Mince 1-2 cloves garlic. Heat up olive oil in a pan, add garlic and cook on med-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add a bunch of sliced mushrooms (I like brown crimini mushrooms, but any will do). Cook on high for five minutes, adding extra olive oil as needed. Stirring consistently. At this point, you can put in some herbs if you like (I use herbs de provence or fine herbs often). Then, add some chicken stock/bone broth (probably about 1/2 - 1 cup). Then I let the stock cook off for a few minutes. Once the pan gets drier the olive oil will be left and the mushrooms get brown/toastier around the edges, I make sure to stir it more. You can serve it now, but I like to add more stock and then reduce it some more. When the stock gets thick and saucy-like I add a few tablespoons of ghee if I have it around, then serve once it melts. Add salt and fresh pepper to taste.

Seriously, these mushrooms are amazing. Post Whole 30 you can add wine with the stock, or butter instead of ghee, but during the whole30 these are pretty yummy. If you don't have stock/broth around use water. You can use any oil instead of olive oil, but feel free to use more if necessary. I make this up and add it to grilled meat as a topping. Bon Appetit!

Tanya, I love herbes+wine combo for post Wh too. Best!

For whole30 folks, skip the wine and try this http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/thyme-lemon-garlic-mushrooms-recipe/

I'd like just to make a small comment, that cooking on high with olive oil might not be the best idea as it is not the most stable fat (oxidation etc). Ghee works wonders for this way of cooking.

For breakfast I do spinach & mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil, then add about a palms worth of ground sirloin (usually I already have some on hand browned). Once the mushrooms are tender and combined with the spinach and sirloin I push all ingredients to one side of the pan and add two eggs in all the oil and juices. I cook them over easy. Once done I put all the goodies on a plate, eggs on top, pop the yolks mix it all up and go to town. I usually have a small side of honey dew with this. It's amazing!

Nadia, what a great recipe! I will try that one. Timanimal, that sounds great to make with the emergency protein I keep on hand.

I also found a simple chicken and mushroom recipe that I make at least once a week: http://www.paleolifestylemagazine.com/chicken-and-mushrooms-simple-paleo-recipe/

This one is a favorite with my kids. To make it even yummier I brine the chicken breasts for 2 hours before cooking, as described in Well Fed.

Archived