Whole30 round #2. Family affair - post surgery Dad and stubborn Mom along for the ride.

Nadia B

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome welcome, join the party. Yes, we made the pylori test and it showed nothing (phew).

Thanks for stating something obvious. I just can't admit that coffee has to go. I don't need the energy kick, I need the taste to start my morning. I've tried teas (which I love), cocoa, dandelion root etc. It doesn't work. I want something that tastes like coffee - bitter, strong and hot. I think my brain just doesn't like the idea of giving up so many things over past months, it's silly.

BE1D8DD3-0B77-478E-8059-DDD04727FD7B-2253-0000029D39DC720F_zps8572bddb.jpg

I also love reading your logs. I think there is something to the idea of pushing things too far in terms of giving everything up. I read something about this recently but can't put my finger on it.

I needed to give up coffee bc I was drinking too much of it and was so anxious I could barely empty my dishwasher without worrying I should be doing something else instead. I went to our local herbalist and she recommended I use Yerba mate to wean myself. Just something to think about. (My friend said it smells like tobacco, which is does, but like pipe tobacco and something smoky in a way that's pleasant and nostalgic for me.)

When I got down to the last tablespoon I started to panic but I've segued to herbal tea. I might try going back to one cup of coffee a day because I love it so much. But I am afraid it will quickly get out of hand again.

I can so relate to your situation with your parents. Ugh. My mother has so many ailments, including pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. And she just lives on bakery food! My father has full blown diabetes and came to my apartment last week and in 12 hrs ate only a corn muffin from Dunkin Donuts because he forgot his soup and sandwich and wouldn't eat any of my food. They are smart people, otherwise. It's so hard to see them continue to make themselves sicker.

I also love reading your logs.

I think there is something to the idea of pushing things too far in terms of giving everything up. I read something about this recently but can't put my finger on it.

I went to our local herbalist and she recommended I use Yerba mate to wean myself. Just something to think about. (My friend said it smells like tobacco, which is does, but like pipe tobacco and something smoky in a way that's pleasant and nostalgic for me.)

I can so relate to your situation with your parents. They are smart people, otherwise. It's so hard to see them continue to make themselves sicker.

Hi there, glad you enjoy my long ramblings!

Nope, Yerba didn't work either. Tobacco smell totally grosses me out now. I am a former smoker, that's the irony. I had 0 troubles cutting down to one cup. I am struggling with this morning one so badly.

I also think that I am afraid that quitting coffee will bring more confusion to my social life. I don't drink at the bars/clubs/events or eat junk in the morning after the party with the crowd and I don't smoke. I feel damn good about it. But getting cozy with a cup of coffee at the coffee shop is a different story. Reading a book, getting together with a friend or a going for a date (without explaining why you eat or don't eat smth) etc etc etc. Ordering tea at the coffee shop feels plain wrong. I hope to give it another try when it will get really warm, maybe I won't crave iced americano this much.

Parents thing is going better than I thought. Unfortunately it took an extreme thing to happen to Dad. Renne posted here a while ago about it. So true. Hope your parents will listen to you someday. If not - you tried and should feel good about the effort.

Day 13 update. Random thoughts.

Second round is so easy. Haven't had a compliant binge in a long time. I can stop before it gets ugly (still not perfect, but hey I have opened packs of dried apples, plantain chips and dried mango for a month). My need for little something after meal is still there, but I can control it. Cravings are almost gone. Sometimes my brain plays games, but it's rather amusing than concerning.

Super weak at the rehearsal, barely finished. However I am glad to be back to dancing.I have started to notice this famous "body recomposition" (took a while I know), but it works in a bit of weird way. Maybe it was the light at the changing room. My collarbones stick out and my hipbones stick out a bit. Ehmm dear body, stop. Let's focus on tights, deal? Good part - my arms are getting nice definition. Not sure if it's ballet, increased weights I use while wo, whole 30 or altogether.

Went to the bulk store to pick up some stuff for cooking. Got stuck reading labels. Thank God I googled one ingredient that is claimed to be a safe preservative. First wikilink said it's a toxic gas. Right.

Went home and found a pack of liver that had to be cooked asap. Fried couple pieces for dinner and had it with smoked red cabbage. Made oriental liver meatballs. I just threw everything that was saying Moroccan to me into the chopped liver. Ended up adding apricots, pumpkin seeds, barberries (so happy I found them here), preserved lemons (first try of the batch) and Ras El Hanut. Turned out super cool. I got carried away with tasting while mixing a bit :ph34r:

I have been going to bed very late. I have to fix it. Positive side - my sleep is getting better, slowly but surely.

Day 14.

Good morning! Woke up only once last night! Happy dance!

Took fermented cod liver oil for the first time. I've been reading a lot about GP brand, you know all this hype about it. I've been sitting on the fence with it, however I heard a lot about it helping with KP. Whoever has it knows that you will take anything that can possibly help. Whole30 has improved my skin dramatically, but I still have some of it. It has been flaring up recently. Then I figured out they won't ship to Canada. I found it in a store near the office when I went to pick up magnesium. I will report back in a week or so.

Breakfast: yummy stir fry with shiitake, kale, rutabaga and chicken. A bit of avo. Coffee. Damned pain is here. Coffee. Must. Go.

3422C003-ACA2-4C32-A03D-3BA09248D778-4914-000006AB62114982_zps8aa89393.jpg

Packed lunch: Zoodles and scallops/asparagus baked in creamy tomato/coconut milk sauce. Scallops are there, trust me!

40D757F3-4148-43F0-B23E-8D3779E38F06-4914-000006AB5FA466E4_zpsa4553098.jpg

Free evening and i will try to catch rush tickets to some show. Dinner TBD. Dad is going to the doctor to take some stitches off. Nervous. I am off the bc pill and 7 days late. Nervous nervous!

Btw, I have a piece of wall painted with chalkboard paint. I need new quote to go there. You bright people, do you have great food quotes? Maybe other ideas? I am sick of looking at pinterest. My favorite is "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch".

E99B8885-FB5E-4368-8BEB-71C638A8145B-4914-000006AB66D85658_zps07bfab90.jpg

Day 14. Update.

I had a hunger attack. I am scared as hell of these days, when my stomach constantly begs for food. I hope it's PMS. Anyways, I had quite a bit of snacking - two spoons of coconut butter around noon, because I was on the road at my lunch time and a whole can of sardines at 5pm. While I was cooking dinner I sneaked cold broccoli and one meatball from the fridge. Then I had the tastiest dinner in a while - rabe with garlic (I left the stems, as the greens are super tender), lemons and crispy bacon + nomnom's fireball meatballs. I think I've said it before, but they are soooo good.

334A5FE8-BF3D-4EEB-AAE4-B9367E2C52DF-482-000000D30B3CE157_zpse0010c2f.jpg

As I said, it was a "bottomless stomach" day, when you can't settle and constantly think of something more to eat. I left house and went to pick up kombucha for Dad. Then I had a decaf. Then I cheated. Ingredientwise I didn't cheat, I had a piece of cocoa butter, but you know. It's 100%, no sugar and it's actually quite sour. It is used for cooking purposes. I felt that it was the only thing that will end my need to stuff myself with other snacky food. I felt guilty, but I am glad that I saved myself from binge.

Went to the

show after. It was so warm outside we walked until midnight.

CB268EEC-DF7E-4233-83FD-9604D9FA01D7-482-000000C570E02285_zpsad662a20.jpg

Day 15. Halfway and il colazione italiano.

Went to bed late, slept good but woke up at 6 AM. No period and upset stomach. My tummy wasn't a fan of yesterday's breakfast at all. It's kale and mushrooms, what's your problem, man? Anyways, I am a cheerful idiot as usual.

It was time to try the mystery parcel! Ok, now you see that the answer was easy. So pretty.

A4308655-022C-4DCB-B5D8-064C2136A2D9-482-000000C56B18B8F4_zps850cfef3.jpg

As I had tons of time, I cooked a nice colazione italiano: green beans with olives/sundried t/artichoke hearts/pinoli + cured meat + prosciutto. Mamma mia, che buono!

D8079A90-9C99-4AB2-BD14-EC75EC02B570-482-000000C56F70CCF3_zps477484e4.jpg

Grazing hungry monster is still here. I feel it and scared of eating out of control. I put on the tightest jeans I have (I had to exhale and lay down to put them on before, but they fit now, still quite tight yay) like they can help. Scallops and spinach for lunch. Giant salad and grilled seafood from the market for dinner. Or vice versa. Theater after work with my friend.

Happy Friday!

P.S. Dad's not feeling well, his digestion is not getting better. I don't know how to help :( He started taking enzymes, magnesium and more sweet potatoes/berries/squashes. He drinks a lot of water/8 oz kombucha/bone broth every day.

Breakfast: yummy stir fry with shiitake, kale, rutabaga and chicken. A bit of avo. Coffee. Damned pain is here. Coffee. Must. Go.

Oh my gosh, first of all, that breakfast looks scrumptious! I have been making the same sweet potato hash for a very long time now. Maybe I need to change it up!

It's so good that you don't have h pylori! Yay! I wonder if you have a hiatal hernia? It's so common. Anyways, I have one and I went to a guy that is a chiro/kinesiologist. He did a crazy thing with my stomach with a little machine and his hands and I have to tell you, it worked! I had coffee for the first time today and had no burning! Not sure if you have access to anything like that, but it's just a thought. I have gone to regular doctors and I was happy because they treated my bacterial infection (h pylori) but I still had burning. They just said to take antacids, which I just don't want to do. So, then I just got desperate and went to this guy. Totally not trying to fix your problem and be nosy, but I just feel your pain and am a fellow coffee lover.

Oh my gosh, first of all, that breakfast looks scrumptious! I have been making the same sweet potato hash for a very long time now. Maybe I need to change it up!

It's so good that you don't have h pylori! Yay! I wonder if you have a hiatal hernia? It's so common. Anyways, I have one and I went to a guy that is a chiro/kinesiologist. He did a crazy thing with my stomach with a little machine and his hands and I have to tell you, it worked! I had coffee for the first time today and had no burning! Not sure if you have access to anything like that, but it's just a thought. I have gone to regular doctors and I was happy because they treated my bacterial infection (h pylori) but I still had burning. They just said to take antacids, which I just don't want to do. So, then I just got desperate and went to this guy. Totally not trying to fix your problem and be nosy, but I just feel your pain and am a fellow coffee lover.

That's my kitchen sink breakfast: dense veggie + greens + shiitake (they make this dish amazing) + any protein is a winner combo. Another good one is carrots + brown mushrooms + collard/spinach. I usually just bake a giant tray of veggies like rutabaga, pumpkin, butternut, acorn, carrots and turnips. As they are cooked, all it takes is to cut/tear up, sautee and pour smth coconut aminos/vinergar/oil/nothing over. That's it :)

Not nosy at all, thanks for your input. Googled the hernia, I don't think so. Pain is always on the right side. I am 90% positive it's a low acid. What kind of machine? Details?

Cooffee of coffeeeee :wub:

Okay, this video shows close to what I had done to me. The muscle testing is a bit woo woo, but it worked, so I'm not slamming it. He muscle tested my organs. He said there was the hernia and that my stomach was inflamed and my gall bladder and liver were not working well. So, I'm on some homeopathics and he also did that machine in this video:

It does feel funny, but really good after. For the first time in months, I had zero burning and bloating after dinner. Oh, he also said that my rib cage is not expanding all the way, so did some things for that. He also did some chiropractic adjustments with a machine. I am lucky because it's covered under my insurance since it's just considered chiropractic. I was referred by a friend that said he went to one when he was young and got rid of a milk allergy in 2 months. I'm still skeptical but willing to keep trying.

You made your own cured meat?? Amazing!

I feed my grazing monster healthy stuff like you did. It's all good!

Yep, it's so easy! I think it has to cure a bit more, maybe another week. Hardest part is to wait and cut it thinly (think slices feel wrong).

I fed it his favorite lunch - grilled mahi mahi and a giant salad, let's see if the monster shuts up.

BFDE1CA7-C312-4F95-9A2A-7918EAC91C72-985-000000F6607A5983_zpsaf0f335c.jpg

Oh man, eating non stop urge won't go. I drank bottle of kombucha, ate my dinner by 5-30 pm (planned for 7), carrot and a box of strawberries. I feel like I will want to eat again. Holy moly what to dooooo. :wacko: I can't get rid of these "eating too much" or "eating off template" or "eating at not a proper time". I feel deeply guilty. I hate this feeling, I shouldn't be worried at all, but my old dieting freak kicks in. I can go and eat an avocado before the theater. Or just say - it's enough, lady. I am afraid of what will happen when I get home late. Little panic over here. Ok, leaving office now.

Ok, got it under control yesterday. It was very tough. Phew. However, it made me think a lot about the emotions I had. I have to focus more on getting rid of feeling guilty whenever I eat more or "wrong" time. I am human, not a clockwork whatever, dammit. By the end of the play temperature has dropped from 68 to 24. I actualy ran home. Since there are a lot of traffic lights I consider it a HIIT workout :D

4BDF16BD-1CA7-4A6A-B2E5-A3677DF0A661-381-000000C88958E6F2_zps59e8563c.jpg

Day 16.

Good sleep, but woke up puffy. Awesome breakfast - bacon brussel sprouts hash, chicken liver pate (cow knife is awesome, right?) and rutabaga slices to spread pate on. It's not huge as it looks, the plate is tiny, ok?

12D7DEE2-88ED-470C-B751-13FFCAF5F873-381-000000C886FD849C_zps05e01e0e.jpg

Planning my grocery shopping. Turns out I don't need (don't mix with want hehe) anything, because my greedy hamster instinct got me food to feed a little family for a week. Found a whole daikon. I don't even know how to cook it, how the hell it has ended up in my fridge?! Hope ppl will help me in the cooking section. My granny used to pickle them. I also have a nearly rotten plantain. I like them green, so they are not too much bananalike (slippery slope for me). Again, what to do? Tostadas I think...advice?

Going to the gym soon and hope the grey dude will be there.

I have signed up to volunteer at the golf charity tournament a while ago, first meeting is today...at the tapas bar. Text from coordinator - see you tomorrow, drinks and food on the house, yay! It's almost like a party! God help me. Not drinking is not a problem at all, but tapas. I know this place very well, no options for me there. I will be a girl with eating disorder for yet another crowd of people I don't know.

Anywho, all is good, life is good, weather is not, but it's sunny at least. Have a great weekend everyone!

how are you lady? I was wondering about you today.

I hope you had fun hormones with the grey dude. I wore grey workout top, pants and shoes in your honor. Hopefully some dude is talking about the "short grey girl with pigtails" right now.

Daikon is yummy in Bahn Mi Salad: julliene daikon and carrot (I don't blanch them), toss with cilantro, basil, roasted chicken thigh or cooked shrimp, dip of mayo/paleo sriracha/fish sauce. some avocado wouldn't hurt either.

Mustard smile from Derval and a grey outfit in my honor from you. What a day! I am sure they are, MM. Maybe not exactly same choice of words :D

Thanks for daikon ideas!I took a bite of raw daikon and mine is super bitter. I'll try to blanche it first. Famos BahMi salad. Good you reminded me.

Today's updates.

Workout was super sweaty. I am glad that I resisted temptation of putting some mascara on...khekhe you know. Anyways, the dude was there, he complimented my T-shirt (amazing spiderman duh) and totaly figured out that I stare at him from time to time. Anyways, we chatted after the class and he asked if I drink coffee. Ironic. He has my number now and I drink coffee.

Two fireball meatballs post. Got home and made kb inspired lunch. Ohhhhoho sooooo good. I had plantain tostadas (ate 2 more from the baking tray, elegant eh?) + chicken/kale + avocado/mango mush (can't call it salsa really, but had to use up all soft avos) + blackened tomatoes/peppers. It may look like I've confused fat serving size with protein but it was so damn good. Palm of fat hehe I wouldn't mind.

30AE56DF-3383-456E-87B6-09C2E9230F9D-725-0000011D83592067_zpsb81fabdd.jpg

I hope volunteer meeting will be ok. Something compliant for dinner, that's for sure. I think cauliflower rice and fish roe curry.

It was the right spiderman t-shirt or decent squats lol. I mean my staring couldn't be qualified as flirting (I wish Whole30 could fix this skill too) by any means. Note - he has not texted, but that's ok.

Ate dinner standing near the fridge - lettuce wrap with salsa/chicken/prosciutto. Meeting went well. There was so much food and drinks. You know what? I wholeheartedly didn't want those dips, breads or samosas. Before WH I would constantly repeat the mantra "you can't have it, get over it" in such a situation. I didn't struggle for a second this time. This is a true magic in my book. I had decaf as they didn't have good tea. It made my tummy growl, decaf is evil, no more.

Day 17.

Long sleep was so good. Breakfast was so good - cup of broth + rabe/lamb/pumpkin/sundried tomatoes/bacon strip. I love my random morning skillets more and more. I go by color rather than by type of food. Color blocking breakfast art.

231DD05C-16C7-49F6-8914-2327380EBB4F-1209-000002233CE8F531_zpsbc29a852.jpg

New ballet term starts today, first class with new teacher. SO GOOD.

Side note about Fermented Cod Liver Oil. My KP has significantly calmed down, which means I don't feel too bad about the price I payed for this supplement. I also use coconut oil as body lotion and love results (who needs Kiehls anymore?!). Curious to see what happens. I can't believe that I will cure this someday, but I am pretty darn close. Take that, stupid dermatologist (he said - accept it, it will never get better, it's genetics).

I should go and do stuff, but I am just procrastinating and reading logs. Whatever.

I didn't know you had KP too! No one seems to know anything at all about what causes. And the "it's genetics" line is so weak- it may be genetic but environment plays into how genes express themselves. I have some Green Pastures FCLO w/ high vitamin butter oil mixed in and if I had any clue that stuff would help my KP I wouldn't blow off taking it like I do now. Thanks for the tip!

Archived