Whole30 round #2. Family affair - post surgery Dad and stubborn Mom along for the ride.

Nadia B

Missmary I need you!

I'm here. :) What would you like from me? Please note, my dehydrating so far is limited to: zuchinni, red bell pepper, peas, banana slices, mango slices, sprouted almonds, turkey jerkey...all of them were easy to make, so far I've only eaten a little of the jerky. Saving the rest for backpacking.

I can't wait to see what you do with yours! Maybe some Liver snacks? :)

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe some Liver snacks? :)

Remember, she doesn't have a dog. ;)

Nadia I am so impressed with how your parents are catching on! If I could just feed some of the naysayers in my life, I think it would make such a difference!

Nadia, how stressful is the parent thing for you? Stress is a big appetite and digestion suppressant.

Interesting question. It's not easy for sure, but I was preparing for worse. I don't feel usual stress symptoms. Digestion is wacky, but that's nothing new. Plus my hunger is usually shifting to the "eating more" mode when I'm stressed or not getting enough of sleep.

I'm here. :) What would you like from me? Please note, my dehydrating so far is limited to: zuchinni, red bell pepper, peas, banana slices, mango slices, sprouted almonds, turkey jerkey...all of them were easy to make, so far I've only eaten a little of the jerky. Saving the rest for backpacking.

I can't wait to see what you do with yours! Maybe some Liver snacks? :)

Hello :) There so many recipes out there, I am lost, but I trust your experience (I go and bug D too). Peas, like whole thing in the pod? Turkey jerkey - the recipe from the thread or? I am very interested to try dehydrating meat to keep at my desk or eating post wo. Sardines are not always appreciated in the changing room :) I was thinking of chicken hearts...paleo popcorn?

Remember, she doesn't have a dog. ;)

Nadia I am so impressed with how your parents are catching on! If I could just feed some of the naysayers in my life, I think it would make such a difference!

I can send some for Paco over to MN :) I know, right? That's the challenge - to make transition from "eat what is being cooked for you while being entertained" to a conscious effort long term. One step at a time.

Day 6.

What happened:

- No sleep.

- Breakfast for Mom/Dad was spinach omelette, carrots, avocado. Coffee and mint tea. Dad ate the whole thing, hooray. He hates avocado. How is that even possible. Packed lunch for Mom and forced her to take it. She is so stubborn it brakes my heart.

- Breakfast for me was spinach, beef tongue and raw cauliflower. Coffee. Meh breakfast. Me not like.

- I cooked again and again and again and I will never leave this kitchen. Is that what it is when you have a family? :huh:

- Reminded Dad that it's his "broth time" and found him eating it with the spoon. I had a cup of it too.

D27B0DAD-7125-40F5-8AC7-9244C9C5954F-11433-00000F2CADD8E6A2_zps724b1b0c.jpg

- Dad had some digestive improvements and is absolutely happy. He loved the idea of keeping as I call it "paper log" and diligently writes everything down.

- Dad started to drink water. As I learned, he would never drink a single cup of water a day. Three cups of tea tops. :wacko: We went for a walk (yaaaaay) and got him a nice pitcher, so he can see what is his water mission. He says that he doesn't drink because he will never eat then, he is too full after one glass. I think my Dad was Kate Moss in his previous life.

- We both had big lunch of 1/2 bowl of soup and some roasted asparagus. We both shared a salad made from 1 can of salmon, celery, cucumber, olives and avocado (Dad didn't notice :ph34r:). We both were super stuffed. Good lunch.

07E7FA7C-0E66-4181-8344-132573D1AA9A-11433-00000F2CAFDBFDDE_zpsa6296792.jpg

- I had a coffee later, because these sleepless nights are getting me. With 1/2 oz of almonds. No idea why, really.

- Took a field trip for the label reading master-class. Found Dad throwing away cans of food later. Hallelujah. He passed the test when I heard "Look, they have sugar in our salt!". Mom is still a piece of work.

- Inadvertently got Dad on paleocrack - macadamia. I heard "Look, those are allowed, I remember! What are those? They look awesome" while we were at the herbs/spices/bulk stuff place. I said - nuts are really not the food for both of us at the moment. "Can we try? Pleeeease?". Is that what it is when you have kids? :o

- I was too tired to do a workout to make it up for missing the rehearsal. However, my brains needed air, so I went for an hour walk.

- Showed Dad how to clarify butter while dinner was simmering on the stove. I wasn't too hungry, but I made my favorite lamb tagine. I will eat it no matter what. I actually found myself eating it straight from the skillet while I was arranging plates. Because lamb is the best thing ever. I think it might be addictive. Served dinner with caulirice. Cauliflower will never be the same for them.

CD034EB7-DF9E-4C3A-944F-0DA77090D809-11433-00000F2CAB82AD3E_zps891a6013.jpg

- Loaded my first zucchinni chips tray to test the dehydrator. It's been 12 hours, but they are still not crispy. Hmm.

Busy day, side pain throughout the whole day - so annoying and no good BM. However, I am happy that my efforts are paying off somewhat.

Now guess what we made with Dad?

76ED3A9C-CAC3-4897-9124-AE5007D4D26D-11433-00000F2CA7D96E82_zps81698d99.jpg

- I cooked again and again and again and I will never leave this kitchen. Is that what it is when you have a family?

- Inadvertently got Dad on paleocrack - macadamia. I heard "Look, those are allowed, I remember! What are those? They look awesome" while we were at the herbs/spices/bulk stuff place. I said - nuts are really not the food for both of us at the moment. "Can we try? Pleeeease?". Is that what it is when you have kids? :o

Yes, that's pretty much what it's like. We call it Groundhog day chores - the cooking, dishes and laundry never end. And the whining happens a lot, too. :P

Sounds like your dad is really coming around, and that you're having some great conversations and enjoying spending time together. Yay! Sorry that your mom is still not boarding the train...maybe she is a little envious of the bond you and dad have? Her problem to fix, not yours, but sometimes it helps to consider these things.

Do you marinate your own carrots, or buy them? They sound good!

I am afriad this period with your aprents will put you off having kids for life - tied to the kitchen with whining in your ears - yep that's it! ;)

Yes, that's pretty much what it's like. We call it Groundhog day chores - the cooking, dishes and laundry never end. And the whining happens a lot, too. :P

Exactly so, but then I look at my cousins and think I can handle it. This week will definitely boost my respect for people who manage to blog/shop/go out/work out/read and cook/clean/listen to whining.

Sounds like your dad is really coming around, and that you're having some great conversations and enjoying spending time together. Yay! Sorry that your mom is still not boarding the train...maybe she is a little envious of the bond you and dad have? Her problem to fix, not yours, but sometimes it helps to consider these things.

Do you marinate your own carrots, or buy them? They sound good!

Oh the mother/daughter relationship is a complicated one! There's a lot of history there I'm sure. Give her time, hopefully she will start to feel some changes and her curiosity will get the best of her. You just might add some life to her years yet!

Surprisingly he is making so much progress. I am very happy about it. I think he likes that he has all the attention in the world and wants to be "good" to get the cookie sweet potato. Let's see how they do on their own. It's easier to do it together, so I really hope Mom will join the party. Maybe she is upset that there are two cooks in the family now :) Thanks for kind words, Amy and Krista!

I make my own spicy marinated carrots.

Day 7. Freedom + whole family goes whole.

1. Cooked breakfast for Mom after 4 hours of sleep. Mine is on the left, hers on the right. Eggs, why why our love is not mutual. Coffee.

57CBC82D-140A-4EF9-8CC0-9CB46B09A919-11849-00000FCB32F0A161_zps02b13a5b.jpg

2. Cooked breakfast for Dad (same stuff but 2 poached eggs). Then auntie came for a visit a breakfast. Made more coffee for us. She had "sample" plate of everything I was making recently. I got her the copy of the ISWF a while ago, she would call and ask questions from time to time or share her concerns about red meat (it is going to kill us all of course). She said that her husband and she are doing WH30. It was a bomb. I mean her husband is from another cultural background and eats tons of rice with everything. I will not get too excited for now. All I can hope for is that she stops buying so much processed crap for kids.

3. Dad demanded that I share some fish sauce with them and gave me the bottle to pour it into. This is a bottle from vodka. Now you can tell we are Russians, right? Kidding, my parents are drinking maybe once a month some whiskey. I think last time I had a glass of wine was in August on my birthday.

1192C636-B801-44A8-B4E3-5AA9080CBEFD-11849-00000FCE9FE11841_zps2512bb4e.jpg

4. Mom came home for lunch and we had a lovely family thing. They both went for seconds. We were super stuffed. Goodtimes. I made - oven braised red cabbage + jicama/carrots/celery root + green chicken + homemade mayo. Mayo was a superstar. Lucky skinny people found out about homemade mayo. Dear Lord :) Dad cut a huge bowl of pineapple. I had 2 pieces and became high right away. Didn't eat more and didn't want more. Fantastic.

3D45C797-7332-43D1-A2DF-4E8AB3CDE7BC-11849-00000FCB33925E48_zpsb8ea9965.jpg954912AF-CDD6-44B6-9FB9-85BF136D888B-11849-00000FCB34DAD60F_zps02ab1070.jpg311C0188-0ACF-40E0-AA2A-960DE00348EF-11849-00000FCB3671FEFB_zpsc98e38c3.jpg

5. I am released for couple days to go home. Dad is going to write everything down and send me by email every day. Let's see how they do. I will attend ballet class and sleeeeeep. Oh my, I am so happy. No dinner for me but two handfuls of macadamia. Shhhh :ph34r:

6. Look what happened to our project with Dad. It's not a tongue. More guesses?

A153000C-BB90-4363-B4BD-E48C39209A0B-11849-00000FCB3084CBF3_zpsc8cd2339.jpg

You are taunting us with this project!

I love that the whole family is getting into this w30 with you! What a wonderful influence. I have been trying to convince my sister; she lives in North Carolina so I can't come cook for her. When I told her that I had sauteed bok choy with fried eggs for breakfast she just about died. The Fishermans' eggs sent her over the edge!

Loving your journey Nadia. And the Finlandia fish sauce made me giggle! :P

I read your whole new log last night before bed and then dreamed I was arguing with my parents about their eating- some of their justifications were ludicrous but I couldn't remember them (thankfully) when I woke up. I have given up on my parents a long time ago- my mom drinks diet soda on the daily and has a few migraines a month along with numerous other health problems. My dad has diverticulitis as has had a portion of his colon removed but for years continued to believe that a low fat high carb diet was the healthiest way to eat, as apparently he stopped his nutritional research phase in the eighties. Recently he had a bad flare up and his dr advise a grain free, nut and seed free diet but I still think he's doing it wrong. It's exhausting trying to convince them and no matter how I old I get they still treat me like the baby. I will not even eat meals at their house anymore and when my kids go o visit it is under strict rule that they only eat food I packed from my home. Seriously, one time I asked my mom to make sure my oldest didn't have any sugar while visiting- they took him out to eat and let him order pancakes. I was pretty upset that she couldn't just do one thing I asked and she replied "well there's no sugar in maple syrup" face palm. This is what I'm dealing with. I admire you for working so patiently with your parents and I can tell they love you and respect you a lot because they really seem to be trying.

You are taunting us with this project!

I love that the whole family is getting into this w30 with you! What a wonderful influence. I have been trying to convince my sister; she lives in North Carolina so I can't come cook for her. When I told her that I had sauteed bok choy with fried eggs for breakfast she just about died. The Fishermans' eggs sent her over the edge!

Loving your journey Nadia. And the Finlandia fish sauce made me giggle! :P

This mystery parcel is now hanging in the fridge for a week :)

I have never thought about sardines as something edible until I went to Portugal. Those guys know what they are doing. We should open a Whole30 camp for sceptics :D

Loving your encouragement!

My dad has diverticulitis as has had a portion of his colon removed but for years continued to believe that a low fat high carb diet was the healthiest way to eat, as apparently he stopped his nutritional research phase in the eighties. Recently he had a bad flare up and his dr advise a grain free, nut and seed free diet but I still think he's doing it wrong. It's exhausting trying to convince them and no matter how I old I get they still treat me like the baby.

I admire you for working so patiently with your parents and I can tell they love you and respect you a lot because they really seem to be trying.

This is almost the case with my Dad except they told him to eat everything in damned moderation. I think this urgent surgery scared him a lot. After two days of forcing him to drink broth or water (he would never drink a single cup a day for real), eating right and on time we got some results. This made Dad believe that I actually know what I am doing. Mom is a different story. I've figured out why she finds it hard to help me. They do love me and I am grateful they are trying.

Your post is bitter and I am sorry you feel they way you feel. If making changes was easy we would live in a great world. It's so sad that sometimes it takes smth like a surgery to start evaluating lifestyle. At least you are taking great care of your own family. Hope you feel proud about this fact.

Day 8.

I am home. It's a mess here and no food as I didn't want to leave full fridge. However I finally got to sleep. 9 hours at 96% in my dark dark room. Heaven.

Breakfast: duck/pear sausage + mushrooms/chard + cherry tomatoes. Side burning. Sigh. Coffee (but no bl0at yayaya).

BC9DA548-9350-4046-AB94-73A4746BB8E8-789-0000011D08AEC8C8_zps64ed1977.jpg

Cleaned apartment and sorted closet shelves out (some of them).

Lunch: half of skipjack tuna with cumin + bok choy stems + bok choy leaves/rutabaga/avocado salad. Barely finished. Side pain and burning. Hate this thing. It makes me feel like I am always hungry but I am not.

B210F74B-49CC-45DA-88F3-FD507319D133-789-0000011D060CEF85_zps69eec987.jpg

Dinner: broccoli roasted in red palm oil (Susan, why again we are not supposed to cook with it?) + beef patties with olives, sundried tomatos and avocado. Dad called million times to report on broth/water/food intake. Good boy.

97F43D32-3DE7-4137-B30A-D27626C04DAB-1002-00000155222E782E_zps07cb2775.jpg

Going to Aretha Franklin concert in a bit, I am very excited.

Sharing a funny video that made me laugh today. It's pretty silly. How wild animals eat their food.

Is it blood sausage

Nope :)

Ha on you ms offal. Yes I have. Tripe is sweetbreads right? I had them in Providence, Rhode Island many moons ago. It was amazing but I was scared.

Alrigh, Susan, it's a challenge. I am buying tripe today. Seems fairly easy to cook. Ha!

I want some duck/pear sausage.

I wonder if your side pain is gall bladder related?

It has pumkin seeds in it too. Fantastic combo. I think that I will try to reproduce some sort of similar mix.

It's a mystery pain I have over a year now. Doctors say I am alright and give me acid supressing sht. I am looking for new doctor now. Oh well, at least it's free here. Can't imagine paying for all I've been through with docs here :) Not much better back home anyways.

My favorite medical story. I was at my lowest weight ever, like 115 lb. we are reviewing my blood work and doc says my cholesterol is very high. - "What are the possible causes?" - "Uhm extra weight" - "I don't think it's valid in my case" - "Junk food, soda, lack of exersice" -"Nope, doc, not the case". - "Well, I'd recommend to GOOGLE it". Right, because google has spent 10 years in med school too :D

Archived