Gassy issues

Well its day 5 today. Still going strong. Day 1, 2 and part of 3 involved a bad headache. But that's gone now. I know Lara bars are a boarder line food, but I'm nursing and having that in my purse while I'm out to prevent me from going to McDonalds or Wendy's has helped. But I limit myself to ONLY one per day as needed. Helps that they are a bit pricey, the cheapskate in me won't let me over do it.

I'm noticing one thing. I'm so darn gassy! I never had issues before the W30, and starting day 2 I've been super gassy.

This may or may not help you, but the following things are technically "Paleo" and w30-approved but always make me gassy:

-liver (I know! All the vitamins I'm missing out on :( )

-FODMAPs (see here if you don't know what those are), especially fructose/fruit

-almonds

...have you been eating a lot more of any of those things since switching?

Weird. Well, there are a bunch of different sets of intolerances that can give people gas problems (and it ALWAYS seems to come back to those pesky gut flora...). Have you suddenly started eating a lot of coconut?

Chris Kresser has a really useful 'troubleshooting' post for non-intolerance issues here.

It's totally normal to have stomach issues, especially gas, while your system adjusts to the new food sources (and quantities of those) you're taking in. If your body is used to pasta and cinnamon rolls, and you suddenly give it broccoli and spinach, it's going to have to up it's game a bit. ;) Things should settle down soon.

I was really gassy my first 10 days, it was horrible! Fortunately it has now sorted itself out. I did order some kombucha but it had calmed down before it arrived.

It surprised me as I had severely cut down on gluten for 3 years, and had cut out dairy 6 weeks before so I didn't think it would be too much of a change, but it must have been!

Just wanted to mention about dates, I know lots of people do eat them on here but even before whole 30 I have never been able to eat them without suffering horrible digestive problems. Even 1 date is enough to have my stomach cramping for four or five hours. It seems I don't digest the sugars well so you migh twang to check to see it it is the Larabars.

Thanks for all the info! Things seem to slowly getting better. I haven't been eating a huge amount of coconut or dates. Just the tiny bit in the Lara bar. If things don't get better in the next week I'll reevaluate what I'm eating that could cause this. For now I'll just hope its my tummy adjusting.

Archived