Overnight Potty Training Woes Since Starting Whole30

Emma

We are on Day Five and so far, it's been really smooth sailing (kinda) for myself and my 2.5 and 3.5 year old. My youngest one has been acting particularly two-ish in a very loud way, but I think that's just her version of "the hangover" I read about on the timeline.

My concern is my older one. In February he began doing underwear full time and had a month of accident free nights, but since starting this, we are having multiple accidents every night.

His first one is within an hour and a half of falling asleep. Sometimes I'm able to wake him up and put him on the potty before he pees, but sometimes (like last night), I'm too late. He then has another accident later in the night. He's so sound asleep that he doesn't stand a chance of waking himself up.

He's transitioning out of afternoon naps and I know that might be an issue, but he's been transitioning for a while and it hasn't had this current impact.

I plan to try to have our third meal a bit earlier and encourage more liquids earlier in the day instead of later in the day, but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed changes in their kids overnight patterns. And if so, did you do anything different? Or how long did it take? My little guy was feeling very proud of his new skills and earnestly trying so hard.

I feel your pain We are on day 2 nd so far no accidents. You didn't say what time his last drink is, we always stop drinking an hour before bed and ensure she has about 3 wees before settling down.

Also, [someone please correct me if needed], won't his little body be working overtime trying to detox which will lead to more wee as it gets rid of toxins?

I feel your pain We are on day 2 nd so far no accidents. You didn't say what time his last drink is, we always stop drinking an hour before bed and ensure she has about 3 wees before settling down.

Also, [someone please correct me if needed], won't his little body be working overtime trying to detox which will lead to more wee as it gets rid of toxins?

The first night he got up four times to use the potty which made sense to me because we were all flushing things out, but after this last night I started to wonder. It does make sense that he's sleeping differently right now and his body is working harder. He does tend to have overnight accidents when he's sick so maybe it is that he's working overtime. Tonight we're planning on having all our dinner and liquids done much earlier and I'll work on that angle over the next week, though that wasn't an issue all last month. I want him to be successful because he's such a good kid, but it's hard for me to tell him the reason why the accidents are happening when I don't really know myself. The "working overtime to get rid of toxins" theory makes sense and also means things will be more successful in a week or two.

Here's a thought - if what he's eating (and drinking) has a higher water content than before (for example, if he's moving from goldfish crackers to carrot sticks), that factors in to his overall water consumption for the day. It will likely take a little while for his body to adjust to the new amount of water coming in and regulate how much needs to go out ;) Factor in the stress of a change like this (and we all know what stress does to little kids' bathroom habits), and I think you'll find the culprit. Be patient, and I think it will resolve soon.

Here's a thought - if what he's eating (and drinking) has a higher water content than before (for example, if he's moving from goldfish crackers to carrot sticks), that factors in to his overall water consumption for the day. It will likely take a little while for his body to adjust to the new amount of water coming in and regulate how much needs to go out ;) Factor in the stress of a change like this (and we all know what stress does to little kids' bathroom habits), and I think you'll find the culprit. Be patient, and I think it will resolve soon.

I didn't even think of the water content difference and that definitely must be playing a part. I'm up for being patient and waking up twice in the night to help him get up, but I'm certainly hopeful that this is just a normal stage in the process. Patient I will be. (The kids are both following the regular timeline as far as grumpiness and tiredness. Makes me thankful we had no guests or stressful events going on in our lives this week!)

Don't some kids fluctuate with their potty training progression regardless of what they are eating?

Oh certainly that happens, but this has been excessive. It doesn't help that he's now sleeping more soundly :) . We are having early dinners and last drinks three hours before bed and he's still having multiple accidents throughout the night. I, however, am also getting up to go to the restroom so I think it's just part of the change in liquids and the process our bodies are going through. Mainly curious if others experienced similar things and curious how long it will last. I'm hoping only another week or so.

In my own personal experience, I was up two to three times a night to potty the first couple of weeks. Add to that, I started sleeping like a rock. Sounds like that's what's going on with him. It's fantastic that he can go all night without accidents at 3.5. I used to sit my little ones on the potty when I went to bed. Usually a few hours after them. Half the time they never even woke up. Just took care of their business. I would give it a little more time.

Same thing happened to me...I've always had to get up once at night, occasionally twice. During the first 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember for sure) of my W30 I was getting up 3 times, every single night. And I wasn't eating that much more veg or drinking more than I was before, just eliminating a lot of grains/sugar/diet foods.

Same thing happened to me...I've always had to get up once at night, occasionally twice. During the first 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember for sure) of my W30 I was getting up 3 times, every single night. And I wasn't eating that much more veg or drinking more than I was before, just eliminating a lot of grains/sugar/diet foods.

Nice to know - thank you!

Archived