Why has my blood pressure gone up?

My wife and I recently completed the whole 30 and we both feel better in many ways. She feels much better, which is why we started. Our goal is to continue eating clean as much as possible. However, we have noticed that our blood pressure has gone up. Mine in particular since i have never had high blood pressure. My normal was always 120 over 80 max and now it is 140 over 80. Please give us some advice concerning this issue. Maybe some foods to eat or to quite eating. We eat alot of spinach and mushrooms.

Thanks, Barry and Edie Barker

Barry, 140/80 is not high. If that 80 turns into a 90, it's worth thinking about it. What are your wife's numbers? Renee is our resident expert on what numbers mean and why they may have changed. Are these numbers from the Dr office or do you take your BP at home?

If yours is normally 120/80 and it has gone up, it is a good idea to figure out why...

slw is correct that "white coat syndrome" makes many people's BP go up at the doc's office. Did you drink a lot of coffee before your appointment? Could you have been dehydrated?

Just an FYI- dehydration doesn't raise your BP, it causes lower blood pressure and a faster heart rate. That is why diuretics are used as BP meds, taking away the extra water in your body decreases the pressure in your body.

Barry- What did your doctor say? Usually one higher reading isn't an indicator that you have increased your overall BP, but it is something to watch at home with more readings, because you may in fact be creeping up. Your numbers weren't really that much higher, though. You will see the bigger picture if you track it daily for a month. If you want to get really fancy like my doctor did, you can then insert it into a graph that shows what percentage of the time you go out of range. :)

Certainly having an accurate cuff helps. It may be time to invest in a newer automatic one? But honestly, it is very easy to learn how to take a manual reading, which are more accurate. You could probably learn by YouTube videos how to do it and what you are listening for.

Hope it works out for you.

I know it must be hard to complete a program like this where so many people talk about decreasing their BP and meds. Give it some time. There really isn't anything in whole, fresh foods that can cause in increase in overall BP. Really the only things that you could be ingesting that could raise your BP are an *increase* in your salt intake, coffee, and alcohol. Really only if you are at a place where you are sensitive to that. I'm sure your doctor would agree.

Thanks for the insight, maybe its the salt. but honestly, we no longer eat crackers, chips, processed foods, and cheese, how could I be eating more salt. We have cut way back on alcohol, our goal is weekends only. Coffee is a biggie for me in the morning, usually 5 cups, maybe 6.

My doctor did not seem worried about the higher reading at this time. Fortunately, I do not get nervous in front of white coats.

We have the correct cuff for my arm size, but this Walgreens units readings are to inconsistant. I will check into a better unit.

Archived