Homemade Mayo Recipe?

Jenn B

First attempt at homemade mayo colossal disaster! I watched the video on the clothes make the girl site, and it looked so easy, thought I followed steps as per directions- nothing ever solidified and it was more of an oily mess. any ideas where the breakdown could have been (i poured the oil in slow! it took about 2.5 minutes). the concoction got hot (is was smoking), maybe my blender (vitamix 4500) is too powerful- and I need to use something less powerful. i am so disappointed and want to get it right!

I messed up the first time. You can actually start over! Use another egg yolk and then just start over with the same oil you just used. Reeeeeeal slow! Now I've made it a few times and have done great.

I used a Vitamix. MUST use variable speed level 3.

Yes I used my vitamix the first few times i made it but I found it really regrettable that the human tongue has not evolved to reach the bottom of a Vitamix jar :P all that lovely mayo going to waste :( Now I make it with a stick blender in the jar I'm going to keep it in so I don't waste any.

Also, I could not find anything but extra virgin olive oil- could that have made a difference? It looks slightly yellowish.

I am going to get my kids to help me (to blend while I pour super slow) and try again probably today- with all the advice (extra egg yolk). What is a stick blender? I plan to use hand held blender instead of vitamix, which has multiple speeds. My vitamix only has two speeds. Does the concoction heat up and smoke while blending???

The Well Fed recipe did not work for me so I now use another that I found - 2 eggs, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 cups light tasting olive oil. Slowly add oil while blending other ingredients. No need for everything to be at room temp. Then add whatever seasoning you want - mustard or mustard powder, salt, etc. You get two cups with this recipe and I have only tried it in the food processor.

my easy recipe is one room temp egg, 1 tbsp white vinegar, 1/2-1 tsp dry mustard (powder), 1 cup light olive oil. I use a vitamix, only on variable low speeds #1, then up to #6 (they have a video on their site also or its in their cookbook), then you can add what you want to it. Put the egg, vinegar, mustard powder and about 1/4 c. of the oil in the container. Turn it on, then increase the speed, and drizzle in the oil slowly, until the sound changes and the mayo has solidified, it only takes 30 seconds. It should not heat up or smoke while blending; it shouldn't even really get warm. Remember its a raw egg, so organic is best.... in our house, it doesn't last more than a week, (ranch dressing is best with homemade mayo) the book says you can keep it for two...

good luck!

Archived