Panic! Day 13 and I notice--there's sugar in my salt!

faymao

The table salt I buy has an ingredients list. It contains sugar! It doesn't say how much.

Firstly, I am flabbergasted to say the least. Why is it on there? Is that normal? I checked other brands, and they have it, too.

Secondly, now what?

Iodized salt needs sugar or it would not be able to stay iodized (something about the chemistry :blink: dextrose stabilizes potassium iodine so it doesn't become free iodine?? something like that, what do I know?). Luckily, sea salt has natural iodine and other great minerals as well, and it doesn't need sugar to remain intact.

You haven't ruined your whole30. Just get some sea salt and move on using that. I really like the celtic kind, but himalayan is nice too.

Yep it's absolutely disgusting how they adulterate food. I mean who in their right mind would think there could be sugar in salt? i gather a small amount is added to help it flow freely. However as MissMary said, don't worry about, the amount you'll have consumed will be minimal. Just get some compliant stuff and move on. good luck

Hi, i have just learnt that sugar in salt is actually one of the rare cases where it is there for a reason. The chemical bonds aren't strong enough so they couldn't advertise this salt as "iodized" if they didn't include sugar to keep it that way.

So, as MissMary said, sea salt or himalayan salt is definitely the way to go. good luck

Hi, i have just learnt that sugar in salt is actually one of the rare cases where it is there for a reason. The chemical bonds aren't strong enough so they couldn't advertise this salt as "iodized" if they didn't include sugar to keep it that way.

So, as MissMary said, sea salt or himalayan salt is definitely the way to go. good luck

I find it odd that in ISWF M&D recommend alternating between iodized and sea salt yet make no mention to look out for dextrose in the iodized salt.

Moluv, I was thinking the same thing!

I even looked it up in ISWF, and there it is! They clearly state iodized is good.

I wonder if there's a way to ask them to clarify?

Maybe send an email directly- I think there is a contact on the website. Keep us posted if you do. Or maybe a moderator will chime in with an alternative source for iodized salt.

an alternative source for iodized salt.

Not a moderator, obvs. but the alternative is sea salt+sea veggies. Good quality sea salt has some iodine along with other minerals. I supplement with sea snax (one sheet daily). Dulse flakes are also a good option (they can be sprinkled on pretty much anything).

Not a moderator, obvs. but the alternative is sea salt+sea veggies. Good quality sea salt has some iodine along with other minerals. I supplement with sea snax (one sheet daily). Dulse flakes are also a good option (they can be sprinkled on pretty much anything).

I love sea veggies too but don't eat them as often as I should- thanks for the reminder.

But, if they recommend in the book iodized salt it seems they should address the issue of sugar in what seems like every brand. Just an odd oversight...

But, if they recommend in the book iodized salt it seems they should address the issue of sugar in what seems like every brand. Just an odd oversight...

I saw this as an oversight, too, and also found it odd that one of their recipes calls for vanilla extract and doesn't discuss the acohol v. using vanilla beans. I'd love to see clarification. Perhaps there is a second edition headed out way.

Archived