Grrr Lemon Juice

Mulata

Today (day 26) I have been taught a valuable lesson on label checking by my husband (he's on day 1). So far, (or so I thought) I have been meticulous about checking labels, food shopping now takes about three times as long as it used to, and I now have to go to different shops because certain things are only compliant in one store, and others elsewhere.

And today I find out that the lemon juice I've been using since day 1 - (it was in my fridge) has potassium metabisulphate. Why is lemon juice not just lemon juice? I am now very angry with the world. I'm chalking this up to a life lesson and not a fail as that's the only non compliant thing that has passed my lips but still. Just goes to show, nothing is safe. Why does everything have sugar or soy or sulphites!!!!!

Oh no! How frustrating! Sorry to hear it!

Not sure what the mods will have to say vis a vis this topic, but if your hubby is starting day 1 today, perhaps restart along with him?

Sugar and soy are cheap and make things taste good (to the affected typical North American palate)--that's why they're in everything. It's a sad truth; however, the government does maintain and exert a lot of control over its people through food. There are a few excellent documentaries regarding this--check out "Hungry for Change"!

Sulphites/sulfites are added as preservatives; however, they are unfortunately added gratuitously--there is no need for added preservatives in lemon juice!

Best of luck to you and hubby, let us know how it goes :)

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately can't restart as I had timed my whole 30 plus reintroduction schedule to end in time for an expensive afternoon tea in a swanky hotel that as booked about 6 months ago. Originally I hadn't even factored in reintro time so had to move it forward which meant I couldn't have any cake or wine on my birthday 😢. However I think I'll chalk the lemon juice issue up to experience and do a whole14 once I've gone for my day out.

I realized about a week ago that the coconut milk I used during my January Whole30 had potassium metabisulfate in it, too. I had about 1 can during the whole month - and I still had amazing results. I'd say chalk it up to a learning experience and move forward without it.

Consider it chalked. Loving the way I feel on this plan. Clear headed, sleeping better and I've dropped a jean size and not even finished yet. Have a whole 14 between the afternoon tea and my brothers wedding weekend (staying in a hotel for the whole weekend and want to drink champagne). After that though I'm considering a whole100. My eczema and allergies haven't quite cleared up on the 30 so thought extending might be the way to go.

Archived