Calcium for healing bones

Jami

I am on day 28 of Whole 30 and it has transformed my life and my husbands. We are going to continue after 30 days eating just like during the whole 30. My question is this....I am having a foot surgery which will involve my bones needing to heal after the surgery. I am currently taking the Magnesium at night and I take Vit D every am. What is the best Calcium supplement or I was thinking of taking a MV that has Calcium in it. I will continue to eat really well after but I want to get healed up quickly and get back to life and dancing!!! Can you let me know your thoughts.

What are you having done?

Feet take a long time to heal, no matter what. I had a cheilectomy on my left foot in Oct 2011, and I am far from 100%. Same with other folks I know who have had this procedure.

I don't think you want to take too much calcium as it might result in extra bone deposits, and make matters worse.

What does your ortho/pod say?

Bone broth!

I had a torn ligament repair and toe reconstruction 4 weeks ago, and I can tell you my bone broth has been a lifesaver! Do I have proof? No. Was the bone broth a delicious source of calcium? Yes. :)

In addition, kale and sardines are my other favorite calcium sources.

What types of bones do you use for your broth??? My butcher has bones for sale. I buy my grass fed beef there.

Do you have a fave recipe you like?

I like beef bone broth made in the crock pot. I wish I could find the original link to the recipe, but I stopped needing the recipe a while ago!

3 pounds bones - marrow work best

4 quarts water

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

4 garlic cloves

1/2 tea salt

Put it all in the crockpot and set to high. Once it starts simmering, switch to low. Let it cook for 12-24 hours. Remove out all the solid waste (I use my colander).

Enjoy!

As for your foot surgery, when they give you pain medications, the very best thing is to avoid grains! My surgeon told me this, and I said "yeah, yeah, I am mostly paleo" and then my friend came to take care of me and we made homemade pizza with dough I had made and frozen. BIG mistake. You can avoid the nausea associated with the pain medication by actually sticking with whole30 eating!

Good luck with your surgery. I can tell you from mine that it was no fun, but it will get better!

Thanks for posting your bone broth recipe, kb! I have had an ongoing mental block against it, not sure why. You may have given me the nudge I need.

Jami, I probably need to go back and get my toe fused as well, because I still have to baby it way too much after 1.5 years. I'm told fusing requires a longer initial healing process than the cheilectomy (ie 4-6 months rather than 3-4 months), but once it's healed there will be NO.MORE.PAIN, because the joint won't move. Actually sounding good to me these days!

Keep us posted on your recovery! The surgery scheduler called on Friday and left a message, so I might be following right in your footsteps (pun intended).

PS, your arms are awesome!!

KB thank you for the bone broth recipe. sound easy with crock pot. I will make some up before my surgery and freeze it. Also on the tip about grains and pain meds. I am planning on staying whole 30 during recovery.

dukunbayi: you need to have your foot surgery soon so we can go thru together. :))) so you had the other bunion surgery 1.5 yrs ago? I was trying to decide on the chevron procedure which sounds like what you had vs the joint fusion surgery. I opted to go with the longer recovery so I only have to do this once and it addresses the root of the problem. but I have to say the Chevron procedure sounds way less daunting and I almost went for it.

I had foot surgery requiring the addition of three screws to hold a joint together while I was paleo and I had the follow up surgery to remove the screws while Whole30. (this was last summer)

You've already gotten great advice about the calcium, but there is one more thing you might have to think about.

I assume (like me) that they will have you under general anesthesia. If so, when in the recovery area, they will make you eat something before they let you leave and their choices are pretty bad (jello, crackers, applesauce, etc). I brought some coconut flakes and a pouch of organic veggie-only baby food with me. My recovery nurse was also paleo and she was impressed with my forethought!

dukunbayi: you need to have your foot surgery soon so we can go thru together. :))) so you had the other bunion surgery 1.5 yrs ago? I was trying to decide on the chevron procedure which sounds like what you had vs the joint fusion surgery. I opted to go with the longer recovery so I only have to do this once and it addresses the root of the problem. but I have to say the Chevron procedure sounds way less daunting and I almost went for it.

I actually had what's called a cheilectomy for hallux rigidus, basically bone spurs and arthritis in my left great toe. My right toe, fortunately, is fine. What I had is similar to a bunionectomy (without the bunion), and the scar is in the same place. I had bone spurs cleaned up, the joint widened, and a tissue graft placed. But I am still in chronic pain, so the next step is a fusion, and that's where I'm at. But 4 months in a boot and a 6 month recovery time?.... I am dragging my feet (literally).

When is your surgery scheduled?

Great idea on the recovery snack, GLC. I find those coconut flakes at some local stores like Barrons and Jimbos. They're good!

Archived