White rice and sushi

Jami

I am day 28 and loving the Whole 30. However I love sushi rolls which involves white rice. I am wondering how bad it would be to have the rice once in a while? I know I can order without but it would be a nice treat to have as a reward. And then right back on Whole 30!!!!

Not W30 at all; also remember that the vinegar used in the rice is sugared. As an "off road" thing, it's not the worst.

Sashimi (the raw fish) without the soy sauce is compliant if that's any good for you?

I think this is a case of "individual results may vary". As part of your reintroduction, you could certainly try some white rice and see if it affects you. Then, you can decide if sushi continues to be a worthy offroad choice for you.

I was unaffected by the rice, but still bring coconut aminos with me to avoid the soy sauce.

If you're on day 28--wait the two days before you go ahead and re-introduce rice! Sushi rice is prepared with non-compliant vinegar, as well as the rice itself being off plan. You've come so far--don't blow it now!

If you're going to be in a sushi restaurant today, my reccomendation is to order some delicious varieties of sashimi--ahi tuna and salmon are my favorite, and bring along some coconut aminos to use in place of soya sauce. If you're polite and willing to ask the server, they will likely bring you some avocado slices and other raw veggies to tide you over.

Post w-30, definitely attempt re-introduction of white rice, and by all means go offroading with good sushi here and there--I love it too, but in moderation!

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)

Melliebustacy,

Oh don't worry I am now day 29 and I am not planning on sushi just yet. I just love the stuff but I am enjoying the benefits of whole 30 I am not in such a big hurry to go sushi it. I didn't know about the vinegar and sugar prep with rice. Good to know. I will definitely take my coconut aminos with me. and actually I don't miss the rice all that much.

I love sushi, too, but it can be a minefield. The sugar in the wine, the corn flour in many commercial wasabi, the chemicals and sugar in the pickled ginger, the soy sauce. All that, and I still I look forward to trying some again.

In response to what Maryann said, it's actually surprisingly easy to make your own sushi--the trickiest bit is finding a good source of sushi-grade fish in your area if that's what you want to use, or at least that was my experience. You still have the rice/vinegar issue of course, but you can control everything else that goes in. I also get a wasabi powder and pickled baby ginger from a local Asian market and both of those are pretty good in ingredients (only reason I can't have the pickled ginger right now is the sugar), so just look around for some.

If you want some sushi-making tips when you're ready to try it again, let me know--or just look it up, there are tons of recipes, tutorials, etc. online. A lot of them 'require' special rolling mats, etc., but I never bothered with them and my rolls still came out.

Archived