TheBu Kombucha

KayJay

Would like to know if this is compliant. Was so excited to actually FIND Kombucha in our rural area that I bought it without looking at the label.

Contents: Pure raw Kombucha tea

Ingredients: Filtered water, Organic Black Tea, Organic cane sugar, Natural flavors, Kombucha culture

Total Carbs: 13g (3% DV), Sugars 3%

Since this is all new to me, I don't know what's a compliant amount of sugar in listed ingredients. Haven't drank any yet, so it'll go into the cupboard if it's not compliant and I'll just have to order some GT's!

that's a hard label to understand. normally the sugar is in parenthesis with the tea example:

ingredients: (black tea, kombucha culture, cane sugar), blueberries, lemon juice

you need the sugar to make the kombucha, but some companies add extra sugar after the fermentation process...how much sugar is in the nutrition facts?

Susan - did you buy a sciency tester?! Which one?

Robin I kind of want to. Hannah from KombuchaKamp explains what it should taste like at that ph, so I just wing it, but I would love to see it on a sciency tester. I don't like winging it. They do sell them at KK. I wonder if ph strips would work. I looked at them on Amazon but the reviews were very mixed and they all talked about urine testing..not Kombucha.

I'm the paranoid one. I had PH strips in the house and yes I use them in the kombucha. They're not totally accurate, it's a bit of guesswork but I like it down about 2ph. I also bought a hydrometer, it's really for making wine but you can use it to see how much sugar is left. It's all great fun :)

I just did a little research on KombuchaKamp. I missunderstood..the strips simply confirm the brew has started working. I thought it was testing for sugar. Now the hydrmeter...that's what I want. Must find one. :0)

Hmmm, my strips show a lower PH when it's done than when it starts. The hydrometer I got from Amazon but I do admit that's just me being paranoid :ph34r: Robin has already told me to stop overthinking it ;) It definitely does not taste sweet, in fact my son keeps complaining "What's that vinegary smell?"

Kirsteen, I too am an overthinker. I have been nutty about this booch stuff. I hate to add fuel to the fire but I am going to send Hannah an email and have her clarify. The last thing I want is to ingest a bunch of sugar because my taste buds are wonky.

Archived