Michelle's Whole30 Log

michelle888

I started yesterday, June 25. I weighed myself, then hid the scale out of sight. Tough to do, but necessary if I want to fully commit to the process.

Day 1 Food Log

7:15 am

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with turkey deli meat (applegate farms) and asparagus. Also had a handful of grapes. Tried black coffee, but hated it, so made green tea instead.

10 am I'm so hungry, but lunch isn't for two more hours...

noon

Meal 2: mixed greens with balsamic & olive oil. Chicken sauteed with ginger, lime, jalapeno & cilantro. Stir-fried veggies (broccoli, snow peas, carrots, green beans). Larabar.

4:30 pm

Snack: 4 olives, 2 slices of turkey, couple pickles

5:45pm

Meal 3: Roasted chicken, sweet potato hash with bacon, green beans sauteed in coconut oil.

8 pm handful of almonds

Went to bed at nine, since I was feeling pretty tired. I cut out gluten about 3 weeks ago, but I was still consuming a lot of sugar, dairy & legumes. It is also hard giving up the nightly glass (or 2) of wine. But, the upside is that instead of purchasing wine, we can spend the money on grass fed beef instead!

• Moderators

I love... can use money from wine to buy grass fed beef!

If you are hungry just 2.5 hours after breakfast, you should probably eat more at breakfast, may 3 or 4 eggs. You did not mention cooking fats, but you might want to include more with your egg scrambling. I make my morning eggs with about a tablespoon of ghee.

It took me more than 1 year, but I now mostly eat just 3 meals per day. Big enough meals that I rarely feel the need to snack. When I saw how our hormones respond to meals and how important the rhythm of our hormones are to living well in It Starts With Food, I got motivated to get to three meals per day.

Day 2, June 26: Oh boy did I have a headache. I was very tired all day. But I kept reading this post: http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/ (probably 6 or 8 times yesterday) to remind myself this is normal and I can get through it.

Breakfast (7 am): leftover roasted chicken and asparagus sauteed in coconut oil, sliced tomato.

Lunch (noon): Leftover roasted chicken, broccoli, roasted sweet potato, a few almonds and some grapes

Dinner: taco salad! Ground buffalo, sauteed with onion. Salad it tons of veggies. Homemade cilantro ranch dressing (inspired by Well Fed's ranch dressing recipe)

Snack: Larabar

The hunger wasn't as bad as it was the day before. I think the added fat at breakfast helped. It was also awesome to see my almost 2 year old daughter dive into a plate of buffalo meat & chopped veggies with my ranch dip and eat every last bite. :)

Day 3, June 27. Slight headache all day, but definitely better than day 2. Moodiness is setting in though. I'm definitely more easily irritated than normal. The slightest thing sent me reeling. Managed not to send a snarky email to my boss though - good sense triumphed over sugar withdrawals. :) I am also feeling a bit sluggish. Exercises that were easy are a bit harder and take more effort.

Breakfast: 630 am 2 eggs scrambled with ham & peppers. Forgot to add some oil to the pan, since I was in a hurry to get out the door.

Snack 9 am (post workout): Larabar.

Lunch: Leftover buffalo taco salad. A few olives. Apple. Almonds.

Dinner: Pork chili served with broccoli sauteed in coconut oil. A few apple slices with a bit of almond butter.

Hunger wasn't as much of an issue. I think I am getting the protein and fat levels worked out in my head.

Day 4, June 28: Very tired today and still a bit irritable. Definitely was missing my wine tonight. I've started having food dreams as well. Mostly about a good sourdough bread dipped in a creamy soup.

Breakfast: Salad with tons of veggies, green olives, sliced turkey and oil & balsamic

Lunch: Leftover chili and broccoli. Apple.

Snack: 2 olives

Dinner: Sausage sauteed with asparagus, broccoli, peppers & zucchini. Roasted sweet potato.

I'm very excited to be halfway through the first week. I know I can do this.

Day 5, June 29:

Breakfast:8 am Salad with turkey & olives, balsamic & olive oil

Lunch: 145 pm Leftover sausage & veggies. Apples with almond butter

Dinner: 530 pm Chicken & veggies with cilantro, jalapeno & ginger. Sweet potato hash. Couple olives.

Feeling better today. Not quite as lethargic. Hunger wasn't an issue, even though I ate lunch later than usual.

Day 6, June 30 Kinda forgot to eat today. We were busy running errands and doing our usual Saturday thing. Didn't really think about what to eat while we were out and about. I'm not ready to venture into a restaurant yet, as I'm not sure how to handle the unknown ingredients. Besides, my husband is a professional chef. I give him quality ingredients, he makes a masterpiece!

Woke up at 7am & had 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk... first coffee I had in 6 days

Breakfast (11 am - eek) 3 eggs, 4 sausages. No veg!

Lunch (3 pm-ish): Turkey, olives and Larabar. Still no veg!

Dinner (530 pm and starving - obvious why): Fish tacos! Grilled Ono marinated in lemon, olive oil & 5 spice, topped with broccoli slaw (broccoli, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, julienne snow peas, red peppers, dressed with homemade jalapeno cilantro aioli). Used Napa cabbage for taco shell. Also had steamed broccoli on the side. Finally made up for some veg deficit today.

Topped day off with small square of super dark chocolate.

Day 7, July 1. Made it through the first week! Feeling good today. Fatigue gone. Walked around the zoo with the family then got in the pool for some laps and play time with my daughter.

Breakfast: eggs, bacon & leftover broccoli slaw.

Snack at zoo: Larabar

Lunch: We were out so we stopped at Chipotle. Salad with double carnitas, tons of tomato salsa, plus green salsa. Super yummy. Love that my husband also made them get new lettuce for me because there was cheese mixed in with what they had out. He isn't doing Whole30 (or even paleo) but he is supporting me all the way.

After swim snack: olives.

Dinner: Chicken stir fry with tons of veggies. Used coconut aminos, rice vinegar and chinese five spice, all cooked coconut oil. Also made cauliflower rice, with some yellow curry paste, garlic, onion, chopped cashews and coconut milk. (My husband and daughter are eating Whole30 compliant dinners though!)

Great day! Looking forward to next week!

Day 8, July 2:

Breakfast: salad with turkey and homemade ranch

Lunch: leftover stirfry, larabar

Dinner: carnitas tacos with napa cabbage shells & broccoli slaw tossed in cilantro jalapeno aioli.

Killer headache today. Feeling pretty down. Maybe because my knee is killing me (prior injury).

Day 9, July 3: Day started out pretty awesome. I did some "shopping" in my closet and not only did a smaller pair of pants fit, they were loose! I was pretty stressed out the rest of the day due to my knee pain. I had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon and was getting my MRI results. I just want to be done with the pain - without meds. Unfortunately, MRI wasn't conclusive and my options are exploratory surgery or 3 - 4 weeks on crutches. Not one to elect potentially unnecessary surgery, I'm going for the crutches. Good news is that swimming is okay and I need the reason to get myself back in the pool.

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk. Couldn't eat, had a nervous stomach.

Lunch: Made up for my skipped breakfast by eating my breakfast salad & my leftover carnitas tacos from last night. My co-workers are beginning to notice my different foods and ask questions. Also had an apple.

Dinner: Shrimp breaded with coconut flour & almond meal, fried in coconut oil. This seems like it should work, but it doesn't. Tastes good, but texture is off. Made cumin roasted carrots & had spinach salad. Dipped everything in jalapeno cilantro aioli.

Day 10, July 4. Ditched the crutches for the morning and took my daughter to the zoo with some friends. Paying for it with extra pain in my leg for the rest of the day.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, sweet potato hash with sausage. Cooked in coconut oil. Apple with almond butter

Snack: few grapes from my daughter's snack bag (at the zoo)

Lunch: Spinach salad with homemade ranch and leftover shredded pork

Dinner: We went to a friend's for a barbecue. Very proud of myself for not eating the chips & cheese dip (didn't even look good to me!), potato salad (white potatoes) or coleslaw (mostly because I was sure the dressing was made with jarred mayo). Ate plain burger patty dipped in mustard, sliced tomatoes and salad. Skipped the dressing (all had sugar in them) and had plain balsamic vinegar on the salad. Burger may have had non-compliant ingredients in it (Worcestershire sauce? Tasted like it) All in all, ate best I could given the circumstance.

Day 11, July 5. Half way point is just around the corner! I feel great. I have a ton of energy. But I'm stuck on crutches :(. Going to start a swimming workout this weekend to help use up some of this energy.

Breakfast: grapes. I'm blaming the crutches. Brought a great breakfast to work with me, then left it in the fridge because I couldn't figure out how to get it back to my desk on the crutches.

Lunch: Salad with turkey & homemade ranch. Leftover burger patty from the 4th.

Snack: Olives

Dinner: Chicken curry stirfry. Served over chopped napa cabbage.

Snack: Apple with almond butter.

Archived