Eating too much?

kmRN609

Hi everyone,

I started doing my first whole30 4 days ago, after having to restart when I realized one of my food choices was noncompliant. I've given up the scale (very hard for me!), and I'm starting to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry, but this is a big change for me. Im currently at a perfectly healthy weight for my height, but I'm looking to lose fat and get more definition. Here is my menu today:

8 am: 2 scrambled eggs and kale in olive oil, and half avocado

9am: 20 minutes elliptical intervals, 5 minutes row machine, and 20 minutes of lifting

930 am: 3 scrambled eggs in coconut oil, half sweet potato, half avocado

3pm: 1.5 chicken thigh, half avocado, small sweet potato

630pm: 3.5 ground beef mini meat loaves, 1/4 avocado, small sweet potato.

As you can see, I love avocados and sweet potatoes, and I'm pretty sureI'm eating way too many, but the combo is amazing! I always feel satiated, and rarely over stuffed.

Thanks!!

Hi and welcome :) You've come to the right place to ask all kinds of questions regarding your W30!

From what I can see, you've got the basics down--remember, at every meal we want to be attaining a palm's worth of protein, two thumbs of healthy fat and 2 cups of veggies (is a nice round number to go on) :)

My main critique is that it seems to me you might get bored pretty easily if you aren't switching up your meal plan--I love eggs too, but instead of eating 5 of them scrambled in a day, I'd suggest making up some egg muffins, or a frittata, or sunny side up, or....the combinations are endless.

Also, you seem to be pretty heavy on the avocados and the sweet potatos--both of which are okay, but do watch your serving sizes. In the above listed meal plan, you're consuming close to 2 whole avocados and 2.5 sweet potatoes in a day--remember; two thumbs of healthy fat at each meal does not equate to 1/2 an avocado (unless you have big thumbs haha); and you would do better to eat more leafy greens than starchy veg. There are so many delicious recipes out there for veggies, by all means, give something new a try :)

For me, I love yams too; however, I limit myself to 1/4 cup of starchy vegetables per day knowing that they can easily become a food without brakes for me. My $0.02.

Let us know how things go for you :)

Thanks! I agree, I definitely need to add some Different veggies and cut down on the sweet potatoes. They are so good! Does the fat in my meat (for instance 85/15 grassfed beef) count as a fat serving? That's where I'm getting a little tripped up.

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, the fat in your meat counts towards your fat servings.

Your food log looks a lot like mine did during my first whole30. As already mentioned, I would look to add more leafy greens, and cut back a bit on the avocado and sweet potato.

Have you checked out the recipe sharing section on the forums yet? Tons of deeeelish veggie variations :)

Have fun with your W30--this is a great time to discover new and delicious recipes while resetting your tastebuds and kick starting a new, healthy, sustainable lifestyle!

Sometimes I only eat the fat from the meat, but sometimes I add fat like olives, coconut, or avocado. I also eat a lot of starchy vegetables because they are easier for me to digest than fibrous ones. I only do hot yoga for excercising but I have noticed a gradual fat loss and more definition. I think when you are eating whole foods overeating is less likely. I ate a lot more the first month because I was probably nutrient deprived. Now I eat less.

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling great, though my diet was pretty clean before. I will definitely try to change things up a bit this week so I don't get bored. I'm so glad there are so many helpful people here:)

Not getting bored is so key to a successful W30. Luckily, there are infinite combinations and possibilities for delicious and W30 friendly meals :)

We're here to help each other, and these forums rock! Let us know if there is anything we can help you out with as this goes on for you!

• Moderators

I would recommend limiting avocados to 1 per day and sweet potatoes to 1 per day. If your sweet potatoes were small, you might eat 2. Variety is not just a question of boredom. Your body gets different nutrients from different foods. You actually benefit from eating a variety of foods. The benefits are subtle, but real. And really, eating one avocado and sweet potato per day is a lot.

Oh yeah, regarding eating too much. If you follow the meal template, you will be fine - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I would recommend limiting avocados to 1 per day and sweet potatoes to 1 per day. And really, eating one avocado and sweet potato per day is a lot.

Oh yeah, regarding eating too much. If you follow the meal template, you will be fine - http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

The book states half to one avocado as a serving of fat per person per meal. I'm sure that is dependent on the size of the avocado. But still, less than 2 avocados in a day does not seem like a legitimate concern, maybe just a matter of personal opinion.

Yes the fat in your meat counts towards your fat servings.

Really? I am not reading the meal plan template to mean we should be reducing the added fat (from ghee, coconut oil, avocado, etc.) based on fat content of our proteins.

I think if you're eating a fattier piece of meat you'd naturally not want to add too much more fat. But I don't think we are intended to estimate the amount of fat in said meat and subtract from the added fat recs from the overall meal. Maybe you are not even suggesting this. It just sounds too calorie-county for W30.

II agree with Moluv that some meals are fattier and some less but that it seems to balance out over the course of a few days. When I eat a few fattier meals I find I want to eat lighter/less fat-laden (without between meal hunger) for the next couple meals.

ETA: Just looked at the Fat part of ISWF and found this, which, to me, reads like you should not be factoring in fat content of your meat against added fat recs.“If you're smaller, less active, or still struggling with metabolic derangement, then stick with the quantities at the lower end of our spectrum, but do not cut your fat intake below the low end of our range, even if you're trying to lose weight.â€

• 2 weeks later...

The book states half to one avocado as a serving of fat per person per meal. I'm sure that is dependent on the size of the avocado. But still, less than 2 avocados in a day does not seem like a legitimate concern, maybe just a matter of personal opinion.

I'm firmly in this camp, unless the fat intake (because avos are yummy) is keeping you from eating large enough meals.

hmm so whats the verdict? sticking to 1/2-1 avocado per meal or per day? lol

I think this is one of those YMMV things. 1/2-1 avocado per meal would be too much for me, sadly, but some people have metabolisms or activity levels that would support that.

I think this is one of those YMMV things. 1/2-1 avocado per meal would be too much for me, sadly, but some people have metabolisms or activity levels that would support that.

It depends on what you're eating with it. Let's not forget that cooking fats count. So if you're eating roast chicken and steamed broccoli 3x/day, then 1/2-1 avocado per meal makes sense. Most folks need more variety than that, though...so it's more likely that you'll be using a cooking fat in your other two meals, thus not needing the avo

Hello everyone,

I am currently on my 2nd W30, day 7 today. I feel as though I am eating WAY too much food for my size throughout the day. I am currently in the process of switching my work schedule from working nights to evenings which is a hard transition for sleep and food. My problem of eating too much, too often actually hits more on my days off from work. I am also eating too much fruit, I have a huge sugar dragon that wasn't addressed properly during my first W30 and really has been just as tough this time around. Here is a look at my meal plan today:

Breakfast 9am: 2 strips (US Wellness meats) Bacon with 1 small sweet potato, medium coffee plain

12pm: 2 (larger than my palm) chicken thighs with a few pieces of baby zucchini

2pm: few pieces (but probably a servings worth) of dried apples and then probably an additional serving (if not more) worth of misc. fruit (making a fruit salad for a work party)

4pm: 2 large turkey burgers (made from scratch with ground turkey onions and mushrooms) and a large portion of broccoli florets

(I am working an overnight tonight, so I will be eating again at some point from now until 8am tomorrow)

After breakfast I started to feel a bit shaky and foggy (I think part of that may be from the coffee) which made me need to eat again at 12 and 2. I rarely ever have the feeling of being satisfied, I've always had a large appetite and portion control has ALWAYS been an issue. Also, I have limited food choices due to an autoimmune disease I have and therefore gave up all eggs, nightshades, peppers, some spices etc. I have been eating "paleo" since October 2012 and have since lost 26lbs since April of 2012. I have 10 pounds to lose to achieve my goal weight and I have hit a brick wall, which I am assuming is from my large portions and intake of too much fruit. I need advice with getting my portions under control and getting rid of the sugar from fruits!! Thanks!

• Moderators

Hello everyone,

I am currently on my 2nd W30, day 7 today. I feel as though I am eating WAY too much food for my size throughout the day. I am currently in the process of switching my work schedule from working nights to evenings which is a hard transition for sleep and food. My problem of eating too much, too often actually hits more on my days off from work. I am also eating too much fruit, I have a huge sugar dragon that wasn't addressed properly during my first W30 and really has been just as tough this time around. Here is a look at my meal plan today:

Breakfast 9am: 2 strips (US Wellness meats) Bacon with 1 small sweet potato, medium coffee plain

12pm: 2 (larger than my palm) chicken thighs with a few pieces of baby zucchini

2pm: few pieces (but probably a servings worth) of dried apples and then probably an additional serving (if not more) worth of misc. fruit (making a fruit salad for a work party)

4pm: 2 large turkey burgers (made from scratch with ground turkey onions and mushrooms) and a large portion of broccoli florets

(I am working an overnight tonight, so I will be eating again at some point from now until 8am tomorrow)

After breakfast I started to feel a bit shaky and foggy (I think part of that may be from the coffee) which made me need to eat again at 12 and 2. I rarely ever have the feeling of being satisfied, I've always had a large appetite and portion control has ALWAYS been an issue. Also, I have limited food choices due to an autoimmune disease I have and therefore gave up all eggs, nightshades, peppers, some spices etc. I have been eating "paleo" since October 2012 and have since lost 26lbs since April of 2012. I have 10 pounds to lose to achieve my goal weight and I have hit a brick wall, which I am assuming is from my large portions and intake of too much fruit. I need advice with getting my portions under control and getting rid of the sugar from fruits!! Thanks!

It looks to me like you could stand to increase fat and scale back the protein a bit. It doesn't look like you're getting any fat at all, and it's key to satiety, among other things.

If I ate fruit alone it would completely throw me off my game. Doing that is working directly against the goal of the Whole30, which is to become fat adapted. If you need a snack, use the template but reduce the size; meaning, include protein fat and some veg.

Congrats on all the amazing progress you've made. My guess is if you make these little tweaks, in other words, make the whole leap from your previous paleo diet to Whole9, you'll gain that edge you're seeking and ultimately reach your goals.

Thanks for the response, LadyM !!

Do you have any specific recommendations for fats? I usually eat 1 avocado a day but none are ripe today. Would a serving of walnuts be good or should I have more? I do use coconut oil to cook most of my food, and sometimes the leftover bacon fat. And I agree, I think I may have to give up fruit all together, because it's really messing up my blood sugar levels, even when I do eat it with a meal. Thanks again for your advice!

That is a TINY breakfast! There's hardly anything to bacon. Is this a normal-sized breakfast for you? Pump it up!! I realize you said you don't eat eggs, but you just have to get past the 'breakfast food' mentality and eat the same things you would eat for lunch or dinner. You'll get used to it after a week or two (unless certain things make you nauseous in the morning...which some people report). I eat dinner leftovers plus 2-3 cups of steamed vegetables with olive oil every day for breakfast. Your lunch in this example is pretty light on vegetables too.

You might need to just kick fruit to the curb for awhile, if you think it's causing you issues. That is my plan. I've been buying frozen fruit and over a few months I've gone from a small serving 2-3 times a week, to every night after dinner, to every day after lunch and dinner. I've also been dealing with very frequent junk food and sugar cravings over the last month. I'm not buying any more fruit and I'm going to try and starve that stupid sugar dragon for at least a few weeks/month. Maybe until I'm not wanting the fruit anymore? I dunno, we'll see how it goes!

Oh your post just came through as I was typing this. Caution...personally I would recommend against adding nuts to your diet if you have issues with portion control or are trying to lose weight. They are high in calories and SO very easy to overeat. Seems like what you mention for fats is pretty good, that wasn't evident in your original post. I eat olives once or twice a day in addition to olive oil on all my veggies...not an avocado fan.

• Moderators

Thanks for the response, LadyM !!

Do you have any specific recommendations for fats? I usually eat 1 avocado a day but none are ripe today. Would a serving of walnuts be good or should I have more? I do use coconut oil to cook most of my food, and sometimes the leftover bacon fat. And I agree, I think I may have to give up fruit all together, because it's really messing up my blood sugar levels, even when I do eat it with a meal. Thanks again for your advice!

You could try eating fattier grass-fed meats. They say meat from ruminants (cows, lamb, bison, etc,) is preferable over poultry and fish, and that would automatically up your fats. I agree with JJB that nuts aren't the best option if you're aiming for fat loss. Plus they're hard to digest. Olives, coconut, ghee, homemade mayo (I make mine eggless by using avocado as the base), olive oil are all good options. It helps to vary your fats to keep things interesting.

I recommend printing out the pdf of the Whole30 template and keeping it on your fridge or otherwise near where you prepare meals. It will help remind you how to best be successful until it becomes habit.

What Lady M and JJB said.

Bacon is yummy but not a great food. I think it's in ISWF where they say to think of it not as a protein but as a condiment.

And the fruit: I was eating very little of it at first but then I started adding some back and I think I was doing much better in the beginning. Once I added fruits (in my case I veered into dried fruit which is an even bigger sugar bomb) things got out of whack. I also let myself eat lunch too late a few days in a row and started getting dizzy when standing up.

Eat the most at breakfast and make sure to eat lunch within a reasonable time.

Archived