Ever slip up...ever?!

I messed up today! Had family over, are my seperate dinner (which was yummy and delicious) cake didn't look appealing but I gave in and ate a dairy free "so delicious" brand coconut ice cream bar with wheat and sugar. Agh! It indeed sparked my sweet tooth!

Do you all ever mess up? Seems everyone is so dedicated, which is good, but it's hard!

Also, I am wondering about the fruit, many say limit it as much as poss. If we do that, isn't this an Atkins plan then? No carbs, at all?

I do feel great, one week in I'm guessing I'm down 5 lbs. :-)))

First, many people slip up. You are just admitting it. A wheat slip up does call for a restart. Sorry - I know that doesn't make you feel better, but you deserve to give yourself 30 really clean days.

Now, you can get PLENTY of carbohydrates in your veggies. This is NOT the Atkins plan, it is not a carb elimination. It is, however, eliminating many unhealthy carbs that cause systemic inflammation.

You can have fruit, up to 1-2 pieces per day. Many people eliminate it as it is just feeding their sugar dragon. That afternoon urge hits and they are eating an apple laced with almond butter. That is just feeding a craving.

Get back to feeling good and start your next meal back on plan!

Yeah, it totally happens, even with the pros. Don't feel bad!

In regards to fruit, it's just that a lot of people can use fruit to prop up their sugar habits. We want you to eat carbs, but we'd rather you grab a starchy veggie, like a sweet potato, or carrots, or squash, before you grab fruit. The carb load is similar, so it is NOT Atkins, but veggies are WAY better for you from a nutrient perspective

I didn't slip up during my W30, partly because I had great support (BF along for the ride, nothing non-compliant in easy reach) and partly because I had no social plans/opportunities for that month (I think those are the hardest). But I have made many food choices since that I regret, and I do consider that messing up. It's a daily struggle for some of us to stick to what we know is healthy, and stay away from the yummy "comfort" foods that are anything but comfortable. I think (**hope**) it gets easier with time. I doubt if anyone here is perfect. Just peruse the forums a bit more and you should see evidence. ^_^

I messed up today! Had family over, are my seperate dinner (which was yummy and delicious) cake didn't look appealing but I gave in and ate a dairy free "so delicious" brand coconut ice cream bar with wheat and sugar. Agh! It indeed sparked my sweet tooth!

Do you all ever mess up? Seems everyone is so dedicated, which is good, but it's hard!

Also, I am wondering about the fruit, many say limit it as much as poss. If we do that, isn't this an Atkins plan then? No carbs, at all?

I do feel great, one week in I'm guessing I'm down 5 lbs. :-)))

Your not alone.....it's only Day 3 for me and I "slipped up" and had way too many walnuts and then some dark chocolate.

Just start over on your whole30. I'll be right there with you when I start again tomorrow.

I haven't slipped up once during my W30, but I could have, so easily. A couple of times my hand even reached out for something before I realised what I was doing. Every time I almost slipped, I just thought about how I'd feel after. I knew I'd kick myself for un-doing all my work so far and I knew once I'd taken a bite of whatever it was, I could never take that bite back. It would have been done. I decided early on that no bite of delicious food would be worth the disappointment I'd feel. Remembering that made it easier and easier. At day 3 or 4 I found myself thinking "oh it would only be 3 or 4 days waste". By day 17 or 28 or 46 there was a lot more at risk and I became more and more determined. (I'm on a Whole52 and finish tomorrow!!)

I've been doing this for a while now (my first Whole30 was in June last year, followed rapidly by my second, followed by a bunch of attempts that have lasted 15-20 days and then been derailed -- oh hai yes I haven't logged lately, there is a reason).

I found it easier actually to be hardcore my first couple of times while I was figuring out what my sensitivities were. Now that I know that nothing tastes as good as grain-free feels, and that I should basically avoid all but the most minimal added sugar to keep my joints from getting achy, I find I actually "slip up" more easily, because I can't get too worked up about eating some pinto beans or having a glass of wine as I know they're not going to bother me that much as long as I avoid the biggies. That turns out to be a dangerous way of thinking though because it easily becomes "MOAR WINE".

Michelle - I think it is so fantastic you can be so honest with yourself, and coming on here actually shows how dedicated and serious you are about your process! don't beat yourself up, keep going, and if possible add days on to the back.

I took very seriously the advice in ISWF that said it's only 30 days. just 30 days. and also the advice to not even think of a slip as an option. I needed to hold on to that many many times. I am on day 98 of a whole100 - the first of any type of whole_ for me. I really feel, for me, this is life and death. I am such a severe sugar addict I felt as though I was heading for type 2 diabetes and obesity among other physical ailments if I didn't make some serious changes. it helps that I work in an ER and see on a daily basis what this looks like...the diabetics with amputations, dialysis, etc.

I feel a huge part of this process is learning to be honest with ourselves and our food choices (you always have a choice) and I believe that's exactly what you are doing!

I'm on day 20 and have not been seriously tempted to slip up. Ok there have been moments where I have momentarily wanted something but it wasn't strong and it has passed.

But in my favour: I've eaten a restricted diet for a long time. I cut out wheat years ago. I cut down on dairy before and cut it out completely 6 weeks before starting my whole 30 so I have the practise of not eating "normal food". In the journey up to whole30 I had many, many slip ups and 'oh what the hell moments', so it's not like I haven't been there in the past.

Also, I have really bad eczema (which is much improved since I cut out milk), so I have a very powerful reason for doing this. I'm fed up to the back teeth of being ill and determined to see this through.

Good luck, I have to say I find it much easier not to have too much non compliant food in the house. It's hard if you live with others like I do that are not whole 30, but it isn't unreasonable to ask them to keep their treats out of your sight for 30 days so you are not tempted.

Archived