Day 8 and Frustrated

Good morning all! I'm doing my first Whole30 after reading ISWF. I have been Paleo/Primal for about a year now, so many of the tenants of the W30 were things I already stuck by, but I had some specific goals I wanted to accomplish and thought the W30 might help me do those. First and foremost, I wanted to pinpoint if any food reactions were causing my acne and/or seasonal allergies (both have gotten MUCH better with Paleo, but not gone completely). As I read through ISWF, I also realized I had a very unhealthy relationship with sugar and desserts, and that my Paleo desserts were just fueling it. My sugar addicition had never changed or gone away, I just was fooled into thinking it was okay because now it was "healthy." So beating the sugar dragon became a major motivator as well. Finally, I wanted to get rid of the last little bit of problem fat that was probably sticking around due to my 80/20 menatlity.

Last week was a tough week, I went through sugar withdrawal in a serious way... still am. Last week was full of grumpy moods, pounding headaches, and sheer exhuastion. I was constantly starving, even 5 minutes after eating a large meal. Then this weekend, something changed and the thought of food made me nauseous. I was on the road Saturday and tried so hard to "be good" and pack my W30 meals ahead of time for the trip. Then when it came time to eat them, I just wanted to throw up looking at it. The thought of eating one more bite of meat had me almost in tears. If I hadn't had a friend with me who knew I was on the W30, and who was driving and therefore refused to take me through any of the drivethroughs I requested, I would have blown it.

Today I noticed my pants are a little looser, but my face is breaking out something awful! And I've got a stuffed up head... allergies in full swing! I know it's not "carb flu" because I wasn't eating any more carbs than this for the last year. What is up that the two things I was testing are getting worse? I'm struggling to make it through the cravings this right now, and this isn't helping my to want to stay strong. I didn't expect magic from the get go, but I also didn't expect things to get worse!

This whole thing is frustrating for me as it's bringing out the food obsessive side of me, and I don't like it, I beat that a year ago when I went Primal and relaxed. Not to mention, I can also only eat a very small list of things right now without my stomach turning. Is this normal? Please tell me this gets better!

Thanks in advance!

Everything you are describing sounds like me during my first whole30. It was around day 11 I felt "normal" again, and by day 18 I felt AMAZING.

I am not sure what you are eating, but make sure you are getting enough fat. I swear that cures all :).

Thanks kb! That's certainly good to know. My meal are all about the same right bc, like I said, a lot of things turn my stomach. The only way I could convince myself to stay on the W30 healthfully, mentally and physically, was to agree with myself to only make meals I really enjoyed this week. No forcing myself to eat something other than the small list that sounds good right now. My meals are usually 4-6 oz of ground beef (usually in the form of chili since its one of the few things I can stomach these last couple days) or chicken breast made a la ISWF recipes, a serving of some veggies cooked in olive oil, and half an avocado. For as hungry as I was in the beginning, I can't even hardly eat all of that now! I eat that 3 times a day and no snacks. I'm not doing fruit since I'm trying to beat the sugar, but I did allow myself to have a handful of berries last night to offset some of the misery. I'm 5'6" and about 135 when I started this. I'm somewhat active but not CrossFit active. More like I just move around a lot... go on evening walks and work at a standing desk. Do I think I still need more fat? I'm not fat phobic since I've had a year to embrace fat, but I also don't want to overdo it. I appreciate the help!!

Do I recognize your profile picture form Marks Daily Apple?

It is really helpful to have a log! Also- follow the meal template whether you are hungry or not… resetting your body takes time and consistency. Your appetite will come back J

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Yup, you sure do!! :) I'm trying hard to stick to the meal template, and I am, to the letter, as far as preparation goes. Sometimes it's the eating I can't manage. Hopeful it'll get better soon!

Archived