Dizzy and lethargic

Hi there. I am on Day 24 of what I hope to be at least a 60 day program. This is my first time doing this and I feel amazing. Except for one thing. I am SO lethargic! I'm also having dizzy spells at the gym. I'm really trying to get healthy AND lose weight AND break my negative emotional connection with sugar and carbs so I've been abstaining from all fruit and starchy veggies so far. However, my body just does not seem to be reacting well. I realized that this would probably happen for a week or two, however it's been over 3 weeks now and it's just not going away. Can anyone give me some advice on how I could maybe reintroduce some of these things to my diet without spiraling out of control on a sugar/carb rollercoaster? I am 36 years old and have a lifetime of emotional eating behind me. And that's where I want it to stay. I just don't want to ruin any progress I've made. Thanks in advance!

Carbs are not bad, and eating carbs is part of a Whole30. Especially if you are active and working out, you need starchy vegetables to fuel your body. Eating meals that keep you full and energized and decreasing the amount you snack will do more to retrain emotional eating than will depriving yourself of all carbs, in my opinion.

Krista, eat more starchy veg, especially if you're working out, they'll really help with the energy.

Nana, it could be not eating enough or dehydration as you suggest.

Krista and Nana, if you keep a food log and let us see what you are eating it would make it a lot easier to troubleshoot. good luck both of you.

Kirsteen, I don't keep a food log, but I can give you a description of a typical day for me.

Breakfast (post workout - my husband and I go to the gym at 530AM)

3 eggs

avocado

sweet peppers

sauteed zucchini (or other veg)

Lunch:

Some sort of soup/chili (I make a huge pot of something on Sunday and this is what my husband and I eat for our lunches for the week. Makes it very simple).

Dinner:

Protein (fish, beef, pork, chicken)

Usually a salad and other vegetable (sauteed, roasted or steamed)

Snack: (if I have any)

Bell pepper strips

Pickles

Chicken jerky

Like I said, I haven't been eating any fruit or starchy carbs, but I think I'm going to have to add some to at least one of my meals per day. This low energy thing is just killing me. Do you have a recommendation on which meal I should add them to? Or does it matter? I am significantly overweight and have been my whole life. I've read that starchy carbs aren't recommended for people who have obesity issues and are trying to lose weight, which is why I've been avoiding them. I'm just trying really hard to establish new eating patterns for myself so this is truly a lifestyle shift and not just something I'm doing for a quick fix. Any advice you have is very much appreciated!

Parsnips and plantains and fried sweet potatoes, celery root mash and roast rutabagas, beets in abundance and squash that's been steeeamed, these are a few of my faaavorite thiiiiings! ;)

Cute. Just watched The Sound of Music this weekend or that may have went over my head.

If you are worried about sugar/carb cravings from eating fruit or starchy veggies, be sure to only eat them as part of a full meal that includes both fat and protein. This way, your body's response to them will be tempered but you'll still get the benefit for having consumed them.

Also, if you workout first thing before breakfast, I would probably add those starchy carbs to the last meal of the day the night before so that you are stocked up by the time the workout comes around.

Lastly, maybe try eating something before the workout? A hard boiled egg might do the trick. I could never do a regular workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning!

If you stick to the template and add your starchy veggies or fruits to a well balanced meal I think you will be less likely to trigger a carb dragon.

Edited to add: yeah, do what she said ;) ^

And this is an amazing song. It's like I can hear Julie Andrews now :)

Cute. Just watched The Sound of Music this weekend or that may have went over my head.

;) I was inspired. I'm also kind of ridiculous haha! It is the truth though, and if it helps to keep some options in mind, mission accomplished!

Oh, and I almost fogot that I consume about 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil a day as well. I've been putting it in my tea :)

Other idea, cut out one-two tablespoons of coconut oil in favor of starchy veg. You do need good fat to lose weigh; however, you also really do need the starchy veg to keep the energy levels up too.

Yep you definitely need some starchy carbs, lots of good advice in the posts above. As a, long time ago, former Atkid and then Cadette, I do know where you're coming from, for years I had demonized carbs but they are not the enemy. I'm not advising sitting down and chowing down bowl after bowl of high carb fruit - far from it. Just add some starchy veg to your meals. My personal favourites are sweet potatoes, plantains and parsnips but that's for their taste, just play about and see which ones you like best.

I'm not an athlete so I'll leave others to advise which meal is best, personally I'd play around with it, be your own experiment and see what works best for you. :ph34r: you might even have them at more than one meal ;) If you do end up cutting down your fat just make sure you don't go below the template, that really is the minimum. As you say this is a lifestyle shift not just a quick fix so concetrate on nourishing your body, giving it what it needs and trust it to get on with it's job of being the best it can be. good luck.

Thanks everyone so much! I've added some sweet potato into my evening meal (took GLC1968's advice) and I already feel tons better. I was able to get through my workout this morning without wanting to die and I didn't get the afternoon yawns yesterday. So, I definitely plan on continuing some starchy carbs in at least one of my meals per day. I'm still going to abstain from fruit (it just triggers bad things for me) but I realize that I can't deprive myself of something my body truly needs. I really appreciate everyone's input. I think I'm entering tiger blood territory now!

Archived