Confused...

redrighthand

Okay, so I understand the notion of not "paleo-fying" desserts in order to help tame the sugar dragon and control cravings. However, I read in the forums about someone needing to "restart" because they ate fruit after dinner. I don't get that. Assuming you don't go overboard, I fail to see what the problem is with ending your meal with some berries or a sliced banana in coconut milk. Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing? (if anything) Thanks!

Because "desserts" of any kind do not fit the meal template. The template is a HUGE part of the program and searching for and having something sweet after a meal does not change your relationship with food. The fact you are questioning it, tells me you may have a bit of a sugar dragon. True?

I understand the "sugar dragon" is a big issue for many, it's just not one for me, as I didn't consume that much sugar before I started my Whole30. I simply fail to see the difference between eating plantains sauteed in ghee as a side dish with my dinner vs. having a fresh banana after. Not to mention ending my meal with grilled steak and asparagus leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's more about the pallet cleanse than anything else. I eat 3 meals a day, I don't snack, I read every label, and I don't "cheat"... So again I ask, why can't a fresh banana be part of my meal and why does it matter if I eat it during or immediately following?

You are a grownup and I don't think any W30 police will come after you. If you choose to change the rules, then you do. I am not here to argue that. Just know it is outside of W30 parameters but you seem okay with that.

I have to ask why you are doing a W30. Better yet, I ask you to adk yourself that.

If you have zero problem with sugar or desserts, then carry on.

I'm only just doing my first Whole30, so I could be mistaken, but...

I think there's a big difference between having a piece of fruit as a snack and having it with your meal.

And a banana directly after your meal counts as with your meal for me.

It Starts with Food even lists a meal plan for a fancy dinner party that includes a "dessert"

I'm only just doing my first Whole30, so I could be mistaken, but...

I think there's a big difference between having a piece of fruit as a snack and having it with your meal.

And a banana directly after your meal counts as with your meal for me.

It Starts with Food even lists a meal plan for a fancy dinner party that includes a "dessert"

A fancy dinner party is occasional. It is not an every night thing. I think I said fruit with a meal is acceptible.

Okay, so I understand the notion of not "paleo-fying" desserts in order to help tame the sugar dragon and control cravings. However, I read in the forums about someone needing to "restart" because they ate fruit after dinner. I don't get that. Assuming you don't go overboard, I fail to see what the problem is with ending your meal with some berries or a sliced banana in coconut milk. Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing? (if anything) Thanks!

Hi Redrighthand, hopefully a moderator will chime in soon and clarify this all for you. However, eating fruit at the end of your meal DOES NOT require a restart. I don't actually think eating fruit in between meals requires a restart either although it certainly isn't recommended. Whether you continue to eat fruit after a meal though will largely depend on whether your sugar dragon is kicking in (in which case it is better not to eat it) or whether it is just a nice thing to include in your meal.

Michelle

I read in the forums about someone needing to "restart" because they ate fruit after dinner. I don't get that. Assuming you don't go overboard, I fail to see what the problem is with ending your meal with some berries or a sliced banana in coconut milk.

Hi, without knowing the context, it's hard to comment on that. I've known people decide themselves to start over because they feel they're relying too heavily on fruit and they want to cut that out. I've never, ever known a moderator say this requires a restart because, frankly, I don't believe it does.

The reason eating fruit as a snack between meals is highly discouraged is because your body doesn't really distinguish sugar in fruit from sugar in candy so, on it's own it's not a great idea and, obviously we want people to get the best possible reults from their W30. However, I still wouldn't say restart, I'd just say try to make better choices.

The meal template says fruit occasionally with a meal is ok. The reason fruit is limited is that W30 stresses vegetables more and if you're eating a lot of fruit, chances are, you're pushing veg off the plate. W30 is also designed to really change our relationship with food. for 30 days, everything we eat is healthy food designed to nourish our bodies.

Fruit isn't a bad food but if we feel we need to have it at the end of every meal, I'd question why. Yes, I've had plantains fried with eggs for breakfast, I've had banana sliced into a curry, I've even heard of people adding blueberries to scrambled eggs, but that doesn't personally appeal to me. I've even occasionally had a handful of berries at the end of a meal. Personally I don't see a problem with any of that.

However, feeliing you need that sweet taste or palate cleanse at the end of a meal suggests a slightly different relationship with it. If you really want a palate cleanse, nothing beats a cup of mint tea or cleaning your teeth. A lot of W30 is about breaking habits and constantly ending a meal with fruit is not really breaking the dessert habit. The reason it's mentioned in the book is because we're not all hermits. Melissa and Dallas realise we may be entertaing during our W30 and that's an acceptable occasional meal plan but not really designed for every day.

As Susan said, there's no W30 police :) so it's entirely up to you what you choose to do, we just want you to get the best possible results. good luck

I have been eating one or two servings of fruit each day and I feel no need to restart; YMMV. I always have some with my breakfast and then with either lunch or dinner most days. Depends on how much food I have on my plate. But I don't consider it a palate cleanser; if my breath is funky after a meal, I brush my teeth!

What Kirsteen said. All the way. Unless she dipped that fruit in chocolate and frosted flakes, I can't imagine it was a moderator who told her to restart.

the fruit issue can get a little whacked out (IMO) and discouraging for people. like kirsteen said, fruit is real, good food. i totally relate to/understand the idea of not feeding a sugar craving with fruit as it does nothing to help you break that cycle. however, fresh fruit at any time is better than eating a sleeve of oreo cookies. baby steps.

during my first whole30, i made myself sick with stress over whether or not to eat a banana...A FREAKING BANANA. i'll never go through that again; the stress was far worse on my body (and mind) than any piece of fruit could ever have been.

this article resonated with me...maybe it will for you as well!

best,

jen

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/carrot-train-to-crazytown/

My $.02 on this one: I stressed about eating fruits during the beginning of my Whole30 when I was eating fruits. I realized that I was eating them as a snack mostly just out of habit and tacking them onto the end of a meal so I could feel like I was still being compliant by making it a part of my meal. I'm on day 26 and I have completely stayed away from fruits this week and I think I have been the better for it. I still know that they are not bad for me and that I shouldn't feel bad about eating them but I function better without fruit. I think its possible that sometimes the psychological effects are deeper than we think. :)

My $.02 on this one: I stressed about eating fruits during the beginning of my Whole30 when I was eating fruits. I realized that I was eating them as a snack mostly just out of habit and tacking them onto the end of a meal so I could feel like I was still being compliant by making it a part of my meal. I'm on day 26 and I have completely stayed away from fruits this week and I think I have been the better for it. I still know that they are not bad for me and that I shouldn't feel bad about eating them but I function better without fruit. I think its possible that sometimes the psychological effects are deeper than we think.

This exactly. I stayed away from fruit not because it's a "bad" thing but because it fed my sugar dragon. I still rarely eat it but when I do, the dragon stays sleeping. I honestly don't know what would happen if I ate it twice a day but I really have no desire to test it. If I want a piece I will have one. I just know that the balance of foods that I eat now really, really work for me. :)

I think it's a lot easier to really see how you rely on sugar (even if you don't believe you do) if you completely take it out. That, IME, includes fruit.

OP: Maybe you think of it as a "palate cleanser" but it still sounds like a reliance and a habit. And part of this whole self-experimentation is about discovering the ways in which we have been using food not as fuel but for the dopamine hit.

I read this elsewhere but I think it's so true: if you feel like you can't go without something then that should be the first thing you cut.

I think a lot of ppl come into this seeing Do and Do Not lists of foods but that is really only one piece of it. It's not like an Atkins or Dukan Diet (capital D) where you have your lists of foods and go forth. The idea is not only to avoid food but to change the ways in which you feed yourself.

Archived