Grassfed beef

kathleen

Any tips out there for cooking grassfed beef? I know to cook low and slow but how about some good marinades to soften up the meat. I'm only able to by frozen and usually stick with the gf ground beef for everyone to enjoy but have noticed there are some different cuts in the freezer now. How about a good crockpot recipe for a gf roast? Steak marinade?

• Moderators
  • 2 years later...

Use a smoker and smoke a brisket.  Cracked pepper and kosher salt will do for the outside rub.  Finish it off in the oven to make it nice and tender.

Fix a roast with vegetables, grill burgers and steaks.  Make GF beef kabobs with vegetables.   Use Tom Denham's marinade. GFBeef, it's for supper and it will fix your food boredom.

I've found there isn't much difference in the prep of grass-fed vs commercially farmed beef. Same rules apply: if it's fatty, cook it low and slow, if it's a tougher cut, marinate it first and cook it on high.

For a rump or chuck roast, I put it in the crock pot and cover with chicken stock and tomato sauce and cook on low for 8 hours or so. Remove, shred, season as desired (chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, ground black pepper, chipotle chilis and paprika is my favorite), stir in just a bit of the cooking liquid and serve. This makes delicious tacos.

For a sirloin tip or tri tip, I make a marinade from lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano and chipotle peppers (sub red pepper flakes), seal it in a gallon bag and marinate 8 hours or overnight. Then broil for 10-15 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes to prevent burning, let it rest for 15 minutes to seal in the juices, and slice against the grain.

We're lucky in Ireland to have only grass fed beef - well they're grassfed about 95% of the time, then fed on dried grass & supplements through the harshest part of winter. The content of the 'supplements' can vary immensely though which is why Kerrygold butter is so highly sought after - their beef is about as grain free as it gets.

The general rule of thumb is the cheaper the cut of meat the lower & slower it needs cooked.

I should add that 'cheaper' doesn't mean 'less flavoursome' - cuts like shin, brisket, stewing steak all make fantastic dishes in the slow cooker.

We're lucky in Ireland to have only grass fed beef - well they're grassfed about 95% of the time, then fed on dried grass & supplements through the harshest part of winter. The content of the 'supplements' can vary immensely though which is why Kerrygold butter is so highly sought after - their beef is about as grain free as it gets.

The general rule of thumb is the cheaper the cut of meat the lower & slower it needs cooked.

I should add that 'cheaper' doesn't mean 'less flavoursome' - cuts like shin, brisket, stewing steak all make fantastic dishes in the slow cooker.

I lurve me some KerryGold Butter.   :lol:  I could roll it into balls and plop in my coffee/tea all day long.  I don't  but I could.

I lurve me some KerryGold Butter.   :lol:  I could roll it into balls and plop in my coffee/tea all day long.  I don't  but I could.

Slices of the stuff on fresh crusty bread - it's like food heaven & hell all rolled into one.... I dont, but I did....  :D 

Slices of the stuff on fresh crusty bread - it's like food heaven & hell all rolled into one.... I dont, but I did....  :D 

Guinness and KerryGold must be the top 2 exports the world over.  Even in my lil burg, there's KerryGold Butter.  How can that be?!   The plant must be ginormous.  I pick it up at the store and look it over all of the time.  I put it back down but I give it an "Irish" kiss before I send it off to someone else.   :lol: 

There are some grassfed cuts that are overlooked (although, maybe because they aren't that easy to get).  Short ribs are awesome.  Well Fed has a really good short rib recipe.  Very flavorful, tender and you get a good dose of bone broth type sauce.

I also like to make soup out of oxtail.  It sounds gross but dang!  It makes awesome soup.  I used to give my oxtails away until I made soup.  Now I keep them for my family.

Beef heart....I grind it up and add a little to burger patties. 

If you can get a hangar steak, they are really good with a marinade. But they are hard to get. 

For skirt and flank steak, I marinade and then cook in my sous vide.  I haven't figured out how to make the grassfed version as tender as the corn fed, unless I use the sous vide.

And if you can afford it, grassfed filet is pretty much the best meat ever.  We call it 'happy meat' and hum while we eat it. It doesn't need marinade.  It's just awesome!

And if you can afford it, grassfed filet is pretty much the best meat ever.  We call it 'happy meat' and hum while we eat it. It doesn't need marinade.  It's just awesome!

Yep, if I'm feeling a little decadent I buy a butterflied fillet from the local farm shop & cook it rare with a large side of sauteed mushrooms & onions & some avocado.

Best. Meal. Ever.

Archived