Slow Cooker Spare Ribs

CraftyCarnivore

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or what, but I made grill-quality spare ribs in my slow cooker yesterday. They were ready and delicious by the time I got home from work. This is the method I used:

1. Line slow cooker (I use a 6 qt programmable Crock Pot) with aluminum foil.
  2. Season ribs. I used a full slab of spare ribs (I've done baby backs as well; I like how the spare ribs turned out better), and seasoned with Penzey's BBQ 3000 (W30 compliant & awesome)
  3. Stand ribs up on the ends of the bones, meat side facing out.
  4. Set it on low and forget it. I would probably do 8 hours if I wasn't at work all day, but these ended up actively cooking for 10:30, and then on warm for about another hour.

There's a ton of fat and cooking liquid at the bottom of the slow cooker that can probably be saved for later use. The fat drains out, but the ribs are still meaty and delish. DH dipped his in BBQ sauce; I dipped mine in spicy mustard.

post-18458-0-92500300-1365518517_thumb.j

I made beef short ribs today in the crock pot(after I browned them in a cast iron skillet). In the blender I dumped in a can of tomato sauce, garlic cloves, 4 dates, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.. blended til smooth, poured over the ribs..the smell has been teasing me all day!

Love your idea of using foil..wish I had seen this early this morning. LOL

I made beef short ribs today in the crock pot(after I browned them in a cast iron skillet). In the blender I dumped in a can of tomato sauce, garlic cloves, 4 dates, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.. blended til smooth, poured over the ribs..the smell has been teasing me all day!

Love your idea of using foil..wish I had seen this early this morning. LOL

Yes sharon I have done this type of recipe with short ribs. I am curious about the dry method with just a rub. Oh...I have recently bought something that you should put on your wish list. It is a slow cooker that you can brown things in first. I love it. Browns things beautifully and then you switch it to slow cooker.

Oooh, a browning slow cooker does sound awesome!! I can't believe what a workout my slow cooker has had since I started W30.

Tonight we had the Balsamic Short Ribs from Practical Paleo. They were delicious, only I made them with boneless short ribs (which I think was really just a cut-up piece of chuck). They were delicious, but I think I like the spareribs better.

Oooh, a browning slow cooker does sound awesome!! I can't believe what a workout my slow cooker has had since I started W30.

Tonight we had the Balsamic Short Ribs from Practical Paleo. They were delicious, only I made them with boneless short ribs (which I think was really just a cut-up piece of chuck). They were delicious, but I think I like the spareribs better.

Crafty, I love it. I especially love that I can have 2 slowcooker dishes going at the same time. :)

Kb, years of being a Personal Chef and a lifetime (multi generational even) of being a foodie has made me a kitchen gadget nut. :)

You were a personal chef? Are you looking for another gig? I'll hire you to cook me Whole30 meals!! ;)

Ribs are in the crockpot today! I'm kind of glad I'm at work so that I don't have to smell them all day.

You were a personal chef? Are you looking for another gig? I'll hire you to cook me Whole30 meals!!

Ribs are in the crockpot today! I'm kind of glad I'm at work so that I don't have to smell them all day.

Yes Catherine, when my daughter was school age, I wanted my own buisness so I could be flexible with my hours for her. It worked out really well. I had a wholesale dessert business first. I sold desserts to Cafe Allegro and Saltys. I grew tired of flour, sugar and butter and learned about the personal chef biz from the caterer who shared my licensed kitchen.

Going to New Seasons to pick up my ribs. Still not sure if I am going to do beef short ribs or pork spare ribs. Can't wait!!

Where did you a browning slow cooker? Must have...!!

LOL...I KNEW you'd be drooling. I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MSC-600-Central-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B008YEXC22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365702286&sr=8-3&keywords=slow+cooker+browning

You can get it from Tom's store on his site too. I sort of wish I had bought the 7 QT just because my other slow cooker is a 6 QT, but oh well...maybe a third slow cooker in my future? STOP IT SUSAN!!! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Not a dumb question at all!! The first post calls for spare ribs. I think pork spare ribs or babybacks would work. I wouldn't hesitate to measure your slow cooker so you can be sure the ribs won't be too tall but I am weird like that. :0)

Archived