Torula Yeast

ADTSPO

This morning I was excited to discover a chicken sausage I have been eating for years meets the requirements to be on my Whole30. Yeah! I was checking out the manufacturers other products and found some of them to contain Tortula Yeast, and I wanted to find out if it is acceptable. From what I have read, manufacturers having been using it in place of MSG to help enhance flavors, so I am guessing it won't be acceptable but wanted some feedback.

Apparantly it's made from wood sugars as a byproduct of paper production. Here's what the Natural News website had to say about it

This latest one is called "torula yeast" and instead of being a yeast extract, this is just a specific type of yeast. Again, it has the same purpose in food -- to make otherwise boring foods taste sensational. Torula yeast is now found in many snack products, even many so-called natural snacks. I've seen it in chips and a number of fried snack foods. It seems like this ingredient is going to be increasingly popular in the years ahead because it looks so non-threatening to the consumer. It doesn't look like MSG, and it technically isn't yeast extract, but in my opinion, this ingredient is quite harmful.

I gave torula yeast my own test, because I'm quite sensitive to MSG and similar products; I can almost immediately feel the effects if I consume MSG. I ate some foods containing torula yeast and they created the same effect as MSG and yeast extract.

So it doesn't honestly sound like anything I'd want to be eating

It's obviously a personal thing but for me the criteria is that the bacteria in kombucha are beneficial to health. when I drink it, it's because of it's healthy properties. This yeast doesn't seem to have any health benefits going for it, it's designed purely to make boring foods taste sensational which is how manufacturers either get away with cheaper products or deliberately try to create 'brakes-off' food. Add to that, a lot of people appear to be having issues with it, the same as msg. So, if it isn't beneficial and could well be problematic, I personally, just wouldn't see any reason to introduce it.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! Really reading the labels and not just glancing at them makes you much more aware of what is in your food and then what you will be putting in your body.

"Made from wood sugars as a byproduct of paper production"

That ain't food y'all. That's profiting off of waste. Which is a fine thing to do in regards to making consumer GOODS, but not food. That's just not a safe food.

• 2 months later...

I just discovered that my Prather Ranch "Cowboy Style Beef Jerky," otherwise compliant and made with pasture-raised, dry-aged, local beef has this tortula yeast in it. Sounds like Robin is saying that it is OKAY... though others feel that it's not. I'm on Day 2 of my 4th W30 is this a yes or a no? Thanks!

Actually, it's torula yeast, not tortula. Upon further research, it appears to be either related to, or the same as, "nutritional yeast." This does not appear to be off-plan, according to other threads. Though I could see why this would be more of a "sometimes food" - like nuts and seeds.

Sassy- while that list is helpful, especially for those with sensitivity to MSG, we don't consider it a scientific enough source to base your Whole30 around. If you'd rather avoid, that's totally cool, but unless something SAYS it contains MSG we don't expect you to read into it.

Ok, got it.  Thanks!  I try to avoid all because it gives me headaches.  I couldn't figure out why a food with yeast extract or whey protein gave me a headache like msg did until I stumbled across an article.  I pretty much stripped all those chemicals from my diet so that was good!  My whole30 might not have had any grass fed meat but my sauces, etc were supah clean!  LOL!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Trying to find compliant beef stock or boullion at Mariano's/Roundy's. Most compliant item is Pacific-brand beef broth. In addition to yeast extract (which I know is a wild card), it has 'torula yeast,' a fungus made using wood, and that has a meaty-umami flavor. What's the rule-a on torula (yuk yuk)?

• Administrators

Hi @the czechsperience - I've merged your question with a thread on this topic which is already available on the forum. The easiest way to search our forum is using Google. :) 

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, The Czechsperience said:

Thank you! I searched "torula" (several times) on the mobile site first, because I know we're supposed to do that first :) but I got zero results. Don't know why. 

I think it's because people have been calling it tortula. ;)  I'm actually going to edit the title of this thread so that it is spelled correctly and thus will come up in a search. :) 

On 5/2/2017 at 2:04 PM, ladyshanny said:

I think it's because people have been calling it tortula. ;)  I'm actually going to edit the title of this thread so that it is spelled correctly and thus will come up in a search. :) 

Yeah I saw that misspelling earlier, and I was spelling it correctly. The website's internal search function doesn't really function. Like people have said, Googling "Whole30 + _____" works better :) 

Archived