Day 1....Coffee Unsweetened...CHECK!

Katie Enockson

So my first thought this morning was "Maybe I could start tomorrow. I REALLY don't want to sacrifice my creamer. I'm going to need LOTS of coffee today with only 4 hours of sleep!" But I could hear the nagging voice in my head telling me that I wouldn't need coffee at all if I was on day 15, so ahead a trudged and filled half my cup with black coffee! Honestly, I kinda like it! I have been strapped down so long with my addiction to food (namely sugar) and I'm so tired (LITERALLY!) of it. I had started eating Paleo....ish a month ago and found that when I stuck to it, I felt great! The one thing that I hadn't conquered was the sugar. I was pushing that back as far as I could. It's time. I found myself cheating more and more and feeling sicker and sicker and it just isn't worth it anymore. My kids eat better than I do!

I am very excited to start but I'm a runner. Not in the literal sense but emotionally. When things get tough, I am master at justifying giving up and running away. For me, the support is going to be the ONLY way I will get through this, so please keep me up!

• Moderators

I'm impressed you like your coffee black! That's how I drink it, but black is the best way I know to get a similar cup every time. Good coffee tastes great black, but a lot of coffee is not so good (or over-roasted in my opinion).

You are right that after eating this way for a while, the need for caffeine goes down. Hang in there!

But I could hear the nagging voice in my head telling me that I wouldn't need coffee at all if I was on day 15

This!

Hang in there. Sugar cravings get worse before they get better, but they do get better. And it is a huge eye opener to be able to see the kind of control a simple food can have on you. And, if you want to join a team of us, myself and a few other ladies have been logging together here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/547-donna-and-caseys-whole-30/ We post every day and while some of us are almost done with 30 days, the thread will be continuing as some of us are going longer than 30 days (myself included). So, feel free to get in on the group support we have going on!

Katie,

You might be my twin :) I too started day one after a late night... woke up the next morning dying for my usual 4+ (more like 6+) cups of coffee with soy milk. The first day I had no coffee at all (seriously????) felt like a truck had hit me. The next day I had 1/2 c black at work... it was pretty rank...LOL we have bad coffee here. I'm on day 8 and I've been enjoying 1-2 cups at home in the morning with a little coconut milk.

I also don't like when things are too tough... honestly, this hasn't been too bad (and I'm a carb/sugar addict. consuming cake/cookies/candy simply because they are there... ) The one night i was up later than everybody else, i had the usual "hmmmm, some sugar would taste great about now"... i just went to bed... decided the peace and quiet wasn't worth it with that little "sugar voice" nagging at me.

Good Luck on your journey! I'm sure day 30 will be here before we know it!

Great job Katie!!! It's almost more of MENTAL hurdle to get over, than a physical one, don't you find? I'm just so convinced that "I LIKE MY COFFEE WITH SUGAR" that I am unwilling to even imagine an alternative. Since I started Whole30 (Monday), I've been having my coffee with just 1/4 cup of coconut milk (instead of my usual cream and splenda.) And it's actually delicious!!

It sounds like you're doing a great job so far ... keep it up!

Archived