The Seduction of LadyM, or, my Whole30+

LadyM

Oh yes, I'm always *getting* organised about cleaning It's an ongoing challenge for me!

I have the flylady book but she's just too much for me, and too godbothery (I'm atheist) but then so is moneysavingmom = ha ha cleanliness IS next to godliness, maybe that's my problem

Anyhoo I found this plan very do-able.

Lol. I'm another Fly Lady Failure. Well, that's harsh. I am ok with the cleaning the sink part and the morning routine, but she loses me with the notebook. I get bogged down in it or tweaking my Google calendar to sync with my phone and send me alerts and color-code my cleaning jobs and researching a new better app that'll send me daily reminders--and then I've lost 16 hours on the computer and my apt is still a wreck. I'm checking out that link.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great evaluation and progress! Usually we notice big and visible changes like weight loss. However if you list all the benefits and mind shifts that have happened, weight loss seems to be the least important one. Isn't it amazing? It took me 4 months to realize it.

Ground beef - you can always mix it with ground pork/veal/lamb to add flavour/moist.

Fridge is stocked with delicious stuff and home is clean - yahoo. Complete recovery soon to happen I hope.

• Moderators

Day 21

Saw my functional med doc and she's not happy about the antibiotics. She thinks it's a good thing that I'm working all this junk out of my system. Couldn't sleep even though I propped myself up with every pillow in the house. The coughing fits happen spontaneously at least once every hour. Hurt like hell. Nothing seems to help. Gargling with salt water, bone broth, tea, ibuprofen. Ugh. FMD suggested honey, but I absolutely draw the line at breaking W30. Hells no.

M1 8 sw pot/zucch/sumsquash hash, turkey sausage, 1/2 avocado

M2 12:30 fennel salad, 2 chicken thighs

M3 4:30 braised cabbage, acorn squash, chicken thigh --> still hungry so I had some tuna waldorf salad

I cancelled class today because what kind of teaching can you do with no voice? Plus I was just hacking something fierce.

I am so tired but cannot sleep for the coughing. I went down for a nap, started coughing furiously, and then cried. This has to get better. The FMD says it will, and that we're changing my body. I cried when she said that, too. Sleep deprivation, anyone?

On top of that, I feel enormous. Yes, my period is due in a week, and yes, this is how it goes . . . but of course it's making me second guess W30. I just want to be skinny and pretty and well. Wah!

Seriously, people. If I don't get some shut eye I might revert to my worst 13-year-old self. God help us.

Delsym cough syrup always helps me sleep when I have a bad cough.

Have you tried Vick's vapor rub? My mom swears that if you put it on your feet, it helps with your cough. I'm not sure about that, but maybe rubbing it on your chest would help.

Also, I would consider honey medicine at this point and not breaking your W30. Medicine is allowed.

Another idea - make popsicles out of throat coat tea and aloe juice - very soothing.

Feel better!

I am sorry you are still not feeling well. I don't have any good ideas for holistic remedies, but I did enjoy reading your log. It looks like you are eating really good food (much better variety than I can seem to make).

I hope you feel better soon.

Ok, one step at a time. Recovery first!

Herbal face steam? Try it! Wonder for respiratory system.

Oregano oil/thyme oil if available nearby?

Honey is a wonderful remedy, I second that. Trust me, my granny has hives :) It soothes throat like nothing else. Note that heat destroys it's qualities, so don't put in the tea, lick the spoon.

Be well soon

Your sore throat/constant cough sound so very frustrating! Sending you lots of good vibes. Again, your meals look fantastic and I loved your list of positive things and awarenesses. When I feel lost and frustrated, it helps me to repeat to myself: "This is temporary" over and over. It's a good mantra to get through the less-than-ideal days.

• Moderators

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes and good ideas. The weird thing is the infection is squarely in my throat, not in my lungs. Hot lemon water seemed to help a bit. Nadia, I tried the steam with thyme oil. It was pleasant, but I think more useful for breaking up congestion, which I don't actually have.

Jen and Nadia, I was sorely tempted by honey, but I just really don't want the blood sugar spike. I'm terrified it will throw off my whole30.

AmyB, thanks for the mantra and this reminder. It's easy to begin thinking this might be forever, but it's not. This is temporary, and I will get through it!

I really appreciate everyone's support!

• Moderators

Day 22

Sore throat and persistent cough still present, but I think I got a little bit more sleep last night and the pain isn't quite as sharp. I'll take this as progress.

Still feeling fat and tired, though. Not progress. I keep hanging on to the words of other finishers who have said they didn't notice changes until the final days--or even past the 30 days. I'm afraid I might be one of those tough cases.

M1 10:30 chicken thighs, brussels sprouts, sweet potato with avocado and hemp seeds; tea with coconut milk

M2 2 chicken thigh, braised cabbage, chicken livers

M3 6:30 spaghetti squash with sunshine sauce and meatballs; strawberries, and orange, couple spoonsful of coconut butter :angry:; tea with coconut milk

Thisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporary

IamintheprocessoftransformationIamintheprocessoftransformationIamintheprocessoftransformationIamintheprocessoftransformation

Thisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporary

Thisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporarythisistemporary

Better.

• Moderators

My first shipment from US Wellness Meats just arrived!!!!!

Bacon!

And lots of offal! (lamb heart, liver, and kidneys; calf liver; bison fat)

NADIA! What should I do first? :D

I'm thawing bacon and calf liver right now. How to maximize yumminess??

You guys are funny! We just put in our order for our bi-annual 1/2 cow last night and the lady seemed surprised that my husband wanted everything, including the kidney and toungue. Ick! You guys have stronger stomachs than I. LOL

Tongues are yummmmmmy! They are not offal-y tasting at all, btw. Thinly sliced mmmm.

LadyM, wow! Liver goes best with onions, mushrooms and bacon if seared. Spices? Pinch of tumeric for sure will boost the flavor. My next fav combo - liver, parsley and cranberries.

Recipe sharing section, my post about offal - lots of recipes. There is a one for kidneys. Awesome one! Try to find the post, if you won't find it, I'll post the link.

Never made heart, but you are a pro at it. Let us know. Pictures pictures pictures!

• Moderators

Thank you, Nadia! I've been looking at recipes online and every calf liver recipe so far includes bacon and onions if not mushrooms. Even in a pate. I'll look for your offal post. I remember reading it once.

Jen, I just get so geeked about all the nutrients in offal that it offsets any possible squeamishness. Plus I love a kitchen challenge. Sometimes it seems there's nothing new under the sun . . . and then you get an animal part you've never cooked before. THAT is fun to me! :D

• Moderators

No oxtail yet, but it's on my list.

It seems summer has hit Michigan all of a sudden, though, so the soup making may have to wait a few seasons (depending on how many we go through in the next week ;) ). Y'all in Minnesota are pretty much in the same boat, I hear.

I'm have beef stew in the crockpot today. It's snowing. :( I'm glad to have a chance to use my last beef soup bones up, though, before I get a new beef at the end of the month. Silver lining, I guess.

I'm have beef stew in the crockpot today. It's snowing. I'm glad to have a chance to use my last beef soup bones up, though, before I get a new beef at the end of the month. Silver lining, I guess.

I heard the news this am that it was snowing in Minnesota. I remember those spring snows--and the endless gray muddy days--from living in Maine.

I need to place an order. Intrigued by liver, cranberries and parsley. But I think I need to start with chicken livers. At least I know I like those. Though I use them to make dog treats (Nadia--thinking of you in the grocery check-out with dog treats--ha!) and there are a lot of stringy bits that I keep picturing when I imagine frying them up.

• Moderators

I need to place an order. Intrigued by liver, cranberries and parsley. But I think I need to start with chicken livers. At least I know I like those. Though I use them to make dog treats (Nadia--thinking of you in the grocery check-out with dog treats--ha!) and there are a lot of stringy bits that I keep picturing when I imagine frying them up.

This is my favorite thing to do with chicken livers: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/silky-smooth-chicken-liver-pate/

Crazy delicious. No joke.

• Moderators

Day 23

(one week to go!)

The pain in my throat isn't as sharp, though the coughing and, hence, sleeplessness continues. Went back to FMD and she's pleased with progress. She also wants me to start drinking green smoothies. Maybe after my Wholewhatever I'll consider it. Especially if the Gods drop a Vitamix blender on my front porch. That would be so cool. I would take it as a sign that green smoothies and steak would be a good post wholewhatever breakfast.

I canceled classes again because I felt like dogshit when I got up this morning. I'm sure the students don't mind. It's like summer outside. They should go to the beach, anyway.

I am hopeful again. Glad about that.

M1 9 ground beef/zucch/swpot/spinach/onion stirfry with avocado

M2 2 2 chicken thighs and braised cabbage

M3 5:45 steak, kale salad with coconut and bacon (I think I owe Nadia thanks for the recipe. Delicious!)

I also had a facial today, and though I coughed my way through it, I'm glad I went. My skin is a wreck. Acne flare-up central. FMD says it's connected to all the crazy gunked-upness of my throat and lymph system. It's working its way out. OK, but for how long? Hard to say. We'll just keep going after it.

Learning patience. No longer being a sugar-obsessed lunatic helps with that.

Look at that. No fruit today. How about for the rest of May I try harder to stick to my original plan: no fruit unless part of a recipe? Deal. I do have a bag of dates looking at me, but I purchased them to make luscious salad dressing. So make salad dressing is what I shall do.

• Moderators

Day 24

OMG I'm starting to seriously feel better. Finally. WOOT!

However, I still feel big as a house. I am preparing myself for a weight gain at the end of this Whole30. But maybe I won't weigh at all. I mean, I didn't weigh at the beginning. I just have my last WW weigh in to go by. Hmmmm. Or maybe I'll feel fabulous by next week after my period starts. Time will tell.

It is gorgeous outside. Hot, even. I love it. I walked to work today and am considering going for a bike ride. Last night I did a new kundalini yoga dvd and I liked it. Very different from my usual practice. Its aim is to work the glands of the body. Kinda cool.

M1 7:30 same as yesterday

M2 1 LO breakfast, roasted purple cauli and sweet potato

M3 5:30 giant salad of romaine, LO steak, bacon, cukes, carrot, 1/2 avocado with "caesar" dressing (coconut milk, cashew butter, garlic, lemon, dijon, pepper)

I am slightly panicky about not feeling skinny yet. Everyone is talking about their clothes hanging off them and I'm just not feeling it. Hating the idea that this might not be working for weight loss, especially because it's really helped stabilize my blood sugar and ward off the sugar dragon. If I'm not getting slimmer by eating this way, then what? How long do I keep it up? How shall I tweak it? I've done pretty well in minimizing fruits and nuts. Maybe I need to cut them entirely. I dropped eggs and nightshades in the second week. Do I just need to give it more time?

One thing I'm thinking is that I'll give it another 30 days with some undecided tweaks (though I'll do the 10-day AIP with the gals) and focus on fitness on top of the food. I feel like I've got the eating part down, but being so sick for so long has really kept me from working out. Yes, I've walked and done yoga somewhat consistently (which was the plan), but I'm really starting to miss lifting weights. My body is craving it.

Any sage advice for me?

The best you can do is to relax. I have whined and complained about the same thing my first whole30 every other day. I've actually gained weight and refused to weigh myself (so I won't be upset). It's all back to my usual weight, nothing lost, nothing gained. I start to notice body re comp stuff, but it came recently.

We excpect our body to fix it all right away...not the case. It can't get used to new food, heal gut, fight bacteria and metabolise fat perfectly in 30 days. Give it time, you'll see. Remember the unique snowflake deal? Eat good, move, sleep well and think happy thoughts.

We are here for meltdown emergency :)

I've heard it so many times that I've learned the answer by heart. Girls here can confirm how much I was agonising over "where is the goddamned magic". Apparently every body has it's own "to do list". Let's trust that it's prioritizing skills are perfect.

Archived