The Seduction of LadyM, or, my Whole30+

LadyM

I've heard it so many times that I've learned the answer by heart. Girls here can confirm how much I was agonising over "where is the goddamned magic". Apparently every body has it's own "to do list". Let's trust that it's prioritizing skills are perfect.

Well said. Thank you.

My body comp has changed for sure. I lost 3.5" off my hips. Still haven't weighed myself. I'm a little afraid. I know I'm smaller but I don't want to feel disappointed if I didn't lose weight. I know that's silly and I know why I shouldn't care, but I do.

But yet you know all the things that haven't changed. Unique snowflake!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Apparently every body has it's own "to do list". Let's trust that it's prioritizing skills are perfect.

This. Is. Perfect. I'm going to make a poster and put it up on my fridge.

• Moderators

My body comp has changed for sure. I lost 3.5" off my hips. Still haven't weighed myself. I'm a little afraid. I know I'm smaller but I don't want to feel disappointed if I didn't lose weight. I know that's silly and I know why I shouldn't care, but I do.

Ugh, that damned scale!

3.5" off your hips? Hot damn!!

Yeah. I feel like a new person from the waist down. I started even wondering if my butt was getting too small. Husband assures me no.

My belly is a work-in-progress but much improved as well. In fairness, I didn't measure myself right at the start so that includes a couple weeks pre w30.

• Moderators

Yeah. I feel like a new person from the waist down. I started even wondering if my butt was getting too small. Husband assures me no.

My belly is a work-in-progress but much improved as well. In fairness, I didn't measure myself right at the start so that includes a couple weeks pre w30.

This is seriously awesome! Good for you, Beets!

And poor Hubs. "Is my butt getting too small?" is one of those questions that you can never answer exactly right. :o

This is seriously awesome! Good for you, Beets!

And poor Hubs. "Is my butt getting too small?" is one of those questions that you can never answer exactly right.

Ha! Exactly. That's usually when my husband just storms away and refuses to say another word. ("Is that really what I look like?!?" when looking at a photo someone else took of me.)

But he loves my butt so I felt like that question was fair.

Great conversation! I feel the same as you, M - where's the magic and where's the "my clothes are hanging off me"? I think like the others said, it just takes some of us more time. Sigh. I like being an overachiever, darn it!

• Moderators

Day 25

Feeling even better today. Had an energy slump in the afternoon, so I did yoga nidra. Ready to face an event at work tonight and half day tomorrow. Don't you love it when you spend your weekend at work and don't get comp time for it? Ah well.

Walked to work and back today and will do so again shortly. Will make for two hours walking in the sunshine. Good stuff.

I think I might be feeling less huge and bloated, so I will simply see this thing through as long as it takes and surrender to my body's physical and emotional fluctuations. Everything is going to be fine.

M1 8:30 onion/ground beef/calf liver saute atop steamed broccoi slaw and homemade pesto from last summer

M2 1:30 LO fried chicken livers, spag squash with LO nomnom gravy, LO braised cabbage and sauerkraut

M3 6 enormous green salad with everything that looked decent in the fridge+canned salmon, more kraut, last of avomayo for dressing

Today was an eating day designed to clean out the fridge. Tomorrow the farmer's market opens, yippeeeeee!! I will have to restrain myself from buying everything in sight. I'm excited to get stuff to make fermented veggies, cuz I'm out of the homemade stuff. After the market, yoga, then an afternoon of student presentations.

My intention: to just keep feeling better every day and end this first 30 days strong. There's no doubt I'll continue to a Whole50 or Whole60, maybe more. I'm open, and I also know this body needs more structure and good stuff to get better. I have been thinking about all the positive changes that have occurred regardless of pounds or inches lost. I'm on the lookout. We find what we seek, no?

Happy Friday, everyone!

• Moderators

Day 26

I think I got much more sleep (and higher quality) last night than I have in a long time. I still woke up coughing, but I also had long stretches of uninterrupted sleep. So that's good.

What's not so good is that I have low energy today and my sore throat is back with a vengeance. I thought it was gone, dammit! Oh well. Forward.

This is also day 26 of my cycle, so any day now my period will start. Eager to learn how, if at all, it has changed, and how, if at all, it will change the way I feel about myself.

I think honestly my expectations have been too high, so it's good to lower them. I keep saying that to myself. Maybe if I say it enough times, it will click. I also keep telling myself that my body will release the weight when it's ready and that I must trust the wisdom of my body.

I cut out early from the student presentations today because I wasn't feeling well. I did walk there and back. I also took a lovely yoga class this morning. Didn't make it to the farmer's market, however. Didn't have time for both before I had to go to work, and realized I still have plenty in my fridge to eat before I need to buy groceries.

Time again to document the positive effects of W30:

*calm.

*no longer food obsessed (in the same way).

*my acne is getting better and the eczema patch on my leg is just about gone.

*the ridges in my fingernails are gone.

*both my nails and hair are prettier and stronger. And my hair is no longer falling out. This one was a MEGA source of stress for me.

*I no longer snack. At all.

*I no longer binge eat.

*I've learned how sensitive my body is to fruit and nuts and this has led me to eat them infrequently if at all.

*no more gas.

*it's led me to dramatically change my body care regime for the better. I use honey as a face cleanser in the morning and oil cleaning in the evening. I've given up all hair care products and "wash" my hair once a week with a baking soda solution followed by an acv solution. Amazing results. And I have super fine hair and a formerly very oily scalp. I also stopped using antiperspirant and started all-natural deodorant from crunchy betty. I still sweat, but I don't stink. Awesome. I dry brush and oil my body before getting in the shower, but I don't use soap. I've finally made real my goal to not put anything on my body that I couldn't/wouldn't eat.

*joint pain is significantly lessened if not altogether gone.

I'm continuing W30 to help:

*continue clearing my acne (my goal is to no longer wear makeup).

*diminish the dark circles under my eyes.

*work on GI health. My digestion and elimination are much improved, but not where I'd like them to be.

*lean out. I believe this is the path and I simply need more time (and likely a return to weight training and burst training). I honestly don't give a f$ about the scale. But I do want my smallest clothes to fit hang off me.

*establish a daily meditation practice.

*heal whatever low-down-deep-inside old wounds my body's been hanging onto.

*further stabilize blood sugar and prevent diabetes and the whole host of illnesses now plaguing my parents.

*improve my sleep.

*quit procrastinating. Is this asking too much? ;)

M1 9 turkey patty, acorn squash, sauerkraut. Tea with cm.

M2 3:30 calf liver, bacon and onions drizzled with lemon and parsley atop a bed of romaine. Tea with cm.

kombucha at noon and kombucha at 3. I seriously love the stuff and yet I get zero discernible probiotic effect from them.

Doubt that I'll get hungry again before bedtime, but we'll see.

My plan now is to seriously clean and tidy my apartment and get organized for an arseload of paper grading. I need to release a lot of these things that are weighing on me. Five more weeks of teaching before SUMMER, which means full-time writing. Can't wait. Want to be in the best possible spirits and mindframe for when that time comes.

I hope it's a glorious springlike weekend where you are! Thanks for sticking with this insanely long post.

Wow. You are doing wonderfully! Great list. It was helpful for me to read it to also think about all the benefits of my w30 v. what didn't happen. And you have a lot of excellent changes going on, as well as your keen self-awareness.

Hope you have another night of solid sleep. Before I hit the dried fruit in the last week my sleep was heavenly! I loved nestling my head in the pillow, knowing I was about to drift off into sound sleep. I am really digging my sleep mask.

And no snacking? Bravo!

My PmS days were brutal. Don't let that get you down!

We are going to keep on pushing.

• Moderators

Thanks, Beets. There is no more powerful force in this world than a community of like-minded women. I'm excited for all the discoveries we'll all make together with AIP.

That's an amazing progress, a-ma-zing. You have changes that are huge. I bet you wouldn't have traded them for a thinner you. Clear skin means your hormones are functioning right, you digestion is functioning right. Thinner indicates hormones + digestion + fat adaptation and a sweet spot in terms of eating for your body. Now doesn't it make more sense that your body decided to fix those first?

Procrastination is everything. Duh.

So cool you are changing skin care routine too. I use coconut oil as lotion and tallow soap (from a butcher no kidding). I have baby hair and wanted to try soda for a while. Honey? Just apply and rinse? Have you checked skintervention guide?

Be happy, liver friend :)

Oh and I also started using a coconut oil based cream cleanser. It's nice.

I started using at-home weak glycolic peels on my face and now I can't find a sunscreen that prevents my skin from burning. (Even the thick white zinc based ones I get for my kids.) Arrrgh! But the cleanser is soothing.

Makes a lot of sense what N says about the order in which your body fixes itself. I think my gut healing will take a little while longer.

• Moderators

That's an amazing progress, a-ma-zing. You have changes that are huge. I bet you wouldn't have traded them for a thinner you. Clear skin means your hormones are functioning right, you digestion is functioning right. Thinner indicates hormones + digestion + fat adaptation and a sweet spot in terms of eating for your body. Now doesn't it make more sense that your body decided to fix those first?

Procrastination is everything. Duh.

So cool you are changing skin care routine too. I use coconut oil as lotion and tallow soap (from a butcher no kidding). I have baby hair and wanted to try soda for a while. Honey? Just apply and rinse? Have you checked skintervention guide?

Be happy, liver friend :)

Thanks, Nadia! You've really helped me see this is a long-term process.

Yes, the honey is amazing. Rinses off beautifully, not like you'd expect. I looked at skintervention guide, but was turned off by the marketing hoopla. Felt I got everything I needed from crunchy Betty's blog for free. I recommend it! Have you checked out skintervention? Is it worthwhile?

I had to come up with something for myself to keep going back in Feb :D No, I felt the same way about the guide. Empowered Sustainance writes about skin sometimes too. I will check Betty for sure, thanks for sharing.

• Moderators

Day 27

Put on my tell-tale spring capri jeans. They're too tight. Granted, they always are first time on in the spring, but I'm disappointed. I really do want my clothes to feel loose. In time, in time, I say to myself.

I thought of a few other positive behavioral changes I've made during this Whole30: I don't overeat at mealtime and I don't eat later than 7 p.m. Really excellent habits I aim to keep!

Today I did my morning pranayama (aim to do this daily) and a power yoga dvd. Thought about going to the gym, but yoga sounded better. I'll walk to work and back for a film screening tonight.

Got lots of cleaning and organizing done; I even started in on grading papers and preparing for class this week.

I opted for a smaller-scale cookup today because I hadn't gone grocery shopping and I actually like preparing some meals fresh during the week. Here's what I've got prepped:

*roasted veggies

*braised red cabbage

*chicken liver pate

*roasted chicken

*bone broth

*shredded veg mix for morning hash (swpot/fennel/zucchini/turnip/celery)*

*nomnom caperparsleyanchovylemon sauce (for the LO roast chicken. Is it just me, or has chicken become pretty dull since all kinds of other meats have been legalized?)

I've also thawed lamb liver, salmon, ground beef, ground chicken, so I'm set. Will likely make breakfast sausage with the ground chicken. I like having that on hand.

I sure hope my period comes soon and my body magically shrinks with its arrival. I'll keep going even if that doesn't happen.

M1 8:45 LO ground beef/calf liver mix cooked with spinach and sweet potato, two strips bacon; cm tea

M2 12:45 big green salad with ground beef and two strips of bacon

M3 5:15 2 chicken wings, chicken skin, braised cabbage, roasted veggies

Can you tell I'm loving my US Wellness bacon?

BTW, feeling a lot better today and I got a great night's sleep. Mayhap these are connected. . . .

Hope you feel better soon-I can't even think of how miserable I would be if I was sick too. Although, I do think I will continue on after day 30...maybe I am sick?

Wow. What a productive day. You "read" much happier and more content, spring capris or no.

Do you do the Shiva DVD? Or -- I forget the other one you rec'd. My monthly yoga pass is up Wed and I'd like to do it more frequently than I can get to a class. Also what is your pranayama? I intended to make daily yoga part of my W30 but I think I was overreaching. I would like to work on that, though.

You sound way more deeply in the groove of your new good habits than me. Hmm. It's inspiring. Thanks for that!

Is it just me, or has chicken become pretty dull since all kinds of other meats have been legalized?

Nope, not just you! I get disappointed when the lamb, beef, etc. is all gone and it's just me and the chicken. There may be some sighing and eye-rolling about it.

Loved reading about your skincare routine - good for you! I tried the oil cleansing method last year and did not love it - hope you have great results, though!

• Moderators

Day 28

I woke up today at 5:15 without an alarm. Got out of bed an hour later and started being productive immediately. As in, I made a serious dent in grading papers--without whinging or general loathing. Continued pranayama practice (100 rounds of kapalbhati+agni saraX5, Beets) and did twenty minutes of asana. I also walked to work and back. I'm feeling positive about easing my way back into deliberate movement. I'll be dedicating my next 30 days to exercise.

I am utterly pooped now, however. Thought about going for a bike ride because it's so effing gorgeous out, but it's not in the cards. A hot shower and a book, I believe, are.

M1 7 ground beef, mixed veg hash, 1/2 avo

M2 11:45 chicken breast, steamed green beans and beets, evoo parsley sauce

M3 5:30 chicken breast with evoo sauce, roasted veg, braised cabbage

I was ravenous when I walked in the door and so grateful to have food that just needed reheating. I think I could have used more fat in M2 to tide me over longer.

It's going to be an especially early night for me. 6 a.m. yoga class will be an utter treat after dvd yoga at home.

• Moderators

Do you do the Shiva DVD? Or -- I forget the other one you rec'd. My monthly yoga pass is up Wed and I'd like to do it more frequently than I can get to a class. Also what is your pranayama? I intended to make daily yoga part of my W30 but I think I was overreaching. I would like to work on that, though.

My favorite dvds these days are Shiva Rea Daily Energy and Brian Krest Power Yoga. I also got a wacky kundalini yoga dvd called fat free yoga that's kinda fun because it's so different from my usual practice. See pranayama above. It's a triyoga practice I learned at a retreat with Kali Ray once upon a time.

Some days I believe yoga is saving my life.

All of the yoga and walking you're doing sound very healing, focused, and intentional - I think you're doing great work in that department. Your body will surely thank you for being so kind to it.

Archived