The Seduction of LadyM, or, my Whole30+

LadyM

Found this little gem from day 6 of your log:

"Busted out the crotch pot and made some super easy and tasty one-pot meals."

This is right up there with what KB0426 informed me was Nadia "pooping into an Asian market" and my snack of cocknut butter. :lol:

ETA: Oh it gets better, this, from a few days later. haha so easily amused:

"I've learned to reconnect with the magic of my crotch pot."

Autocorrect has such a dirty mind.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

This is right up there with what KB0426 informed me was Nadia "pooping into an Asian market" and my snack of cocknut butter. :lol:

Not autocorrect or a typo or a freudian slip. That's what I call it. :D

• Moderators

Your doc sounds excellent. I need to find somebody like that. I've been researching it but I'm leery to spend the money since most of those doctors don't take insurance--at least around here.

I know. She doesn't take insurance, either. But she came highly recommended by a trusted friend. That helped me finally get to her. But the cost. Ugh. I just have to weigh it with the immeasurable cost of not going to her.

You seem to be in a good place today! I think we're all kind of wackos on a wild ride here. If we were stable, normal, people, we probably wouldn't need the W30. At least we're not boring, right? :lol:

I vote for the Vitamix. I would LOVE one, but can't justify it.

I like what I read, good girl. Are those little curly things as ungodly expensive over in Michigan? They are so cool though, I liked them a lot! Was it your first time trying them?

Magic of the crotch pot. OMG. I couldn't stop laughing for 20 min for sure. Now please can anyone fill me in why everyone wants Vitamix? :huh:

The crotch pot thing really made me laugh. Ooh boy.

Vitamix: you can make anything in it. It's magic. That's how I've built it up in my mind, anyway.

It's a pro grade blender, high powered, supposedly easy to clean. I think about nut butters (soaked first), soaked homemade Nutella (my kids love it but it's full of garbage soybean oil, etc.), smooth purées. It will liquify kale. I don't know, I guess maybe it's super great for the smoothies we don't eat anymore?

You can get a refurbished higher end one for around $400 on the Vitamix site. With warranty.

• Moderators

Day 32 recap

Hung out with a friend directly after work and until bedtime, so I didn't make it out here. That's a first. Shows just how antisocial I've been. . . .

M1 8 chicken breast, 1/4 avo, kraut, braised cabbage

M2 10:30 post WO LO steak and japanese yam mashed with bone broth

M3 1:30 big green salad with avo, bacon, LO steak

M4 5:30 nibbles of pate, LO bacon, walnuts, romaine leaves, hearts of palm, kraut and a can of sardines.

I went to the gym and lifted for the first time in more than a month. Totally proud of myself. The place was an annoying zoo--at 9:30 in the morning on a Friday, really? After lifting (slow10 method on machines) I did 10 minutes of intervals on the stairmill. Hard but good. My body has missed this. I'm hooked again, and conscious of moving in a way that doesn't set off the cortisol fire alarms in my body. Such a shift for me.

Kinda weird to try to figure out the pre and post wo meals. I didn't like feeling so full all day. But I am thinking about limiting my starchy carbs to just my post wo meals, which would be two or three times a week (cuz I just don't need to eat before and after yoga or a walk or a bike ride, imho). Strictly after lifting to feed my freshly fatigued muscles.

Thanks to Nadia and Moluv, I'm also thinking seriously about getting back into regular ballet classes. I ran into a woman who also used to take class with me at yoga this morning. I'm taking it as a sign.

My biggest jeans yesterday were tight. This made me unhappy but not crazy. FMD said she will check my cortisol levels on Monday. On Thursday my body wasn't "speaking" to her very well. Or something. The strange thing is the weight seems to be really concentrated in my belly. I still have decent definition in my arms and legs. They don't seem to be expanding the same way my belly feels like it is. Granted, I am an apple, not a pear, though I do have a defined waist; but I do carry my weight pretty evenly all over my body. Never had skinny arms and legs though clearly I'm stocky through the middle.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with my constipation problem lately. I keep increasing my magnesium to no avail. I do have BMs, pretty much every day, but they're small, pathetic little pellets, and clearly do not reflect the amount of food I've been eating. Harumph. FMD and I are working on it. Using a wooden massage tool to work the edges of my quads, an area that apparently stimulates the colon. Who knew?

(One other annoying tidbit: I still haven't started my period. It's now day 34 of my cycle. WTH? This has never, I mean never, happened. Didn't miss a period through chemo, marathon training, various activities that potentially could have knocked me up. Seriously, W30?)

Also working on positive self talk before drifting off to sleep, and seriously thinking about doing the hypnosis Beets (and MoLuv) recommended. I have other weight loss hypnosis recordings, but they didn't really do it for me.

Another thing . . . I ordered some coffee beans and MCT oil because I had a coupon and got super curious about bulletproof coffee. Tried it this morning with my homemade Kerrygold ghee, and I'm in love! I had a cup at 8 this morning, now it's after 1 and I still haven't had a meal, though, because I'm not hungry. I think this most definitely would be frowned upon by the Whole30 powers that be, but I'm kind of liking it and interested in its effects. You know, like if adding a cup of coffee whipped with delicious healthy fats might get my colon rollin' again. And start shifting my belly fat a bit. Also, please note that I cannot remember the last time I drank coffee. I enjoy it, but don't need it. Throughout my life I've intermittently weaned myself off it and very rarely needed it to function. Yeah, there were a few (okay, 5 and a half) years of working full time, freelancing, teaching as a graduate assistant, and doing a PhD full time in which my cortisol and adrenals were most definitely exacerbated by an ugly coffee habit. Because, you know, I was also trying to lose weight at the time, probably by drinking coffee instead of eating. . . . oh, my poor body. No wonder it needs time now. I've been under chronic stress at least since I got cancer at 17 (almost 20 effing years), but likely even before that. Good. Ness.

But back to the BP coffee for a sec. I keep thinking at the back of my mind a couple things I read in Primal Body, Primal Mind, about how the ultimate aim of paleo is to keep calories to a minimum in a way in which we're getting plenty of nutrients and not experiencing hunger. She also argues that fat is the only macronutrient that doesn't turn to sugar in the body. Carbohydrates do, obviously, and so will protein when eaten to excess.

So many variables, so many approaches. Best to just stick to one and go with it for a while. How long is the question. It's a wonder I'm not more insane than I am. ;)

Maybe it's time to eat. BBL with a recap of day 33. . . .

Sounds like a great day with a great workout and yummy food!

I bet the coffee will help get things moving. I think it was the HCL enzymes that finally helped me.

Oh, and my period was 4 or 5 days late during the W30. Hope yours come soon. I'm sure that has some to do with your tummy feeling big and maybe the constipation - that happens to me right before my period starts.

• Moderators

Day 33

Woke up without an alarm today in time to clean my house, go to the farmer's market, and go to yoga. Yeeha!

Beautiful young spring greens galore at the market as well as sunchokes! Love them. Think I'll roast them with duck fat. I also picked up a pork tenderloin, chuck roast, and a chicken. All from the happy organic pasture raised variety.

Yoga was blissful. I kinda crashed this afternoon. Perhaps it was the coffee and no food until 2? Just not sure about IF. I like it in theory. But we'll see how it goes in practice.

8 BP coffee

M1 2 creamy(CM) spinach/broccoli WC salmon

M2 5:30 cured beef slices, tender spring greens salad with carrot and radish tossed with HM french vinaigrette. Glorious.

That's pretty much it. Starting to think about what I'll prepare this week. Lots of crotch pot meals happening. Think I'll bring back my fave broccoli slaw and a new sauteed cabbage dish. Think I'll go with starchy carbs only after lifting. It certainly won't help get my colon rollin', but maybe it will help with the belly fat? Who the hell knows? Just have to try it and see.

It's going to be an early night for me. I'm sleepy.

Happy Mothers' Day tomorrow to all the moms! I hope you have flower-filled and pancake-free brunches in store!

• Moderators

It's all systems go all of a sudden. Period and BMs definitely happening. Thanks, Jen, for sharing your experience. It helped me calm down.

Of course, I can't possibly know if it's the magnesium, the coffee, the leg rubbing, the increased exercise, the reduced zinc supplement, or my period that has gotten my colon rollin'. This is the problem with over-zealous self experimentation in which there are so many variables.

Also, I started with the hypnosis last night and really liked the part I was conscious for! Thanks for the tip, Beets! It is a very different "session" than ones I've done previously. I like it much more.

Again, Happy Mothers' Day to the moms! I'll be reading the paper, grading student papers, applying for a fellowship, and cooking up a storm today. Enjoy whatever the day brings your way!

• Moderators

Day 34

It's a chilly but bright day--a fine opportunity for reading, grading, and cooking. So, that's what I've been up to. Eager to see how Nomnompaleo's Korean slow-cooker beef ribs turns out with my chuck roast substitution. It smells divine.

7 BP coffee

M1 11 pork loin, veg, 1/2 avo, kraut

M2 4 ground chicken, veg hash, romaine lettuce wraps, 1/2 avo, couple spoonsful coconut butter, cm tea

My blender seriously leaked this morning when I tried to make BP coffee in it. I averted a huge mess by quickly transferring the coffee into my stick blender cup. Worked fine. But this gives me one more reason to shell out for a Vitamix.

Back to grading papers!

Congrats on finishing the Whole30, and continuing! I was glad to read that you got a massage - I'm an MT, too. That always makes me happy to see. I think you did great, and it seems that you learned so much about yourself and your body's cycles, patterns, etc.

And aren't Japanese yams delicious? I like to saute mine in coconut oil and sprinkle them with Penzey's Chipotle powder.

Happy Sunday!

Oh things are moving, hooray. Zinc contributes to constipation, that's for sure. I had to swap my magnesium supp because of that. Berries help with the absense of starches, but not for 10 miserable seed free days we are all going through soon :))

Aaaa sunchokes. I always look at them but have no clue what to do with them. Thanks for the clue. Your protein plan looks divine and makes me drool over my Ipad. New cabbage recipe too? Awesome.

I like reading your log so much and happy that a lot of calibrating is going on. Snowflake diet. Aha.

Colon rollin'. Ha! Love it. Glad that's happening for you.

Hope you like the recipe. Made it at my bro's Friday night. It was late and I skipped the broiler part. It was good but I missed the crispness from the broiled outside. Also, their slow cooker is obv better than mine and was much saucier.

Hmm. Reminds me I need to eat.

Your avocado mayo idea is brilliant and inspired. I made some this morn with cocknut oil that stays liquid, salt and lemon juice. It elevated my cold beef and baby kale sliders to fancy status, regardless the fact I ate standing up.

I loved the laugh I got the day I read about reconnecting with your crotch pot. It was exactly what I needed that day.

Lady M, I love your log. I found it entertaining, insightful and I learned things. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I hope you can hang on to recognizing all of the benefits of the last 30 days and put aside those that you don't feel so positive about. We have a lifetime for this journey.

I used to love my Vitamix but in recent years found that I haven't used it very much. I got my first one in 1974 to make baby food for my son and grind the grains that I got from the mill. At that time it was very useful. What sort of things do you want to do with it? Mine sits on a shelf with the highly overpriced juiced that I purchased when I was a raw vegan for 3 years.

When I tried using MCT oil earlier this year, I found that I had to stay close to home or wait till I was in the office. I had to be sure to be close to a bathroom because sometime within an hour or two, things became quickly explosive. I couldn't believe it! It felt like an alien force had overtaken me. I only took about 1/2 Tablespoon. I bet it's helping you with your constipation too. I thought I could use it in cases where I needed to get things moving. So far the foods I'm eating are working pretty well in that regard.

MCT definitely put a damper on my appetite.

• Moderators

Day 35

Saw FMD today and she's happy with my progress but concerned that I'm still waking up with a sore throat most mornings. Ugh. She was very supportive of Whole30 and promised that I would reap its rewards as I continue with it. She echoed what others have said: that my body is busy doing other stuff besides losing weight, like recovering from an infection. Not that there is much of a question at this point, but I am, indeed, continuing.

Walking to work and back was my exercise today. Planning yoga and weights tomorrow.

Period and the end of constipation is definitely making me feel slimmer through the middle, which pleases me.

Last night after dinner I tasted the beef from my crotch pot (how do you like that one? ;)) and didn't stop tasting it for a while. Then I had quite a few spoonsful of coconut butter and three apples. Wow. Not terribly dignified. It seems my sugar dragon rears her flaming head when my period arrives. Good to note.

7:30 BP coffee

12 M1 LO creamy spinach with salmon

6:30 M2 Beef, kale salad w/coconut and bacon, apple, coconut butter, a date with cashew butter :angry:

At least I stopped at one date with nut butter, but this is definitely not in the spirit of Whole30's break the dessert habit. It strikes after dinner though not after lunch. Back to zero fruit and butters starting tomorrow. AIP protocol starting the day after that.

Why are there always more things to cut out and fewer and fewer things to add? :(

One more thing from FMD: I told her about my new daily cup of coffee in the interest of getting my colon rollin' and my concerns for my adrenals. She confirmed that I'd be better off without the coffee. So, BP tea is up next!

• Moderators

When I tried using MCT oil earlier this year, I found that I had to stay close to home or wait till I was in the office. I had to be sure to be close to a bathroom because sometime within an hour or two, things became quickly explosive. I couldn't believe it! It felt like an alien force had overtaken me. I only took about 1/2 Tablespoon. I bet it's helping you with your constipation too. I thought I could use it in cases where I needed to get things moving. So far the foods I'm eating are working pretty well in that regard.

MCT definitely put a damper on my appetite.

Very interesting. I hadn't even considered the MCT oil might be having the effect.

Glad your food choices are doing the trick. Unfortunately for me I know more starchy veggies are what do the trick for me, but they're what keeps me from losing weight. Conundrum.

As for the Vitamix, I want it for when I start drinking green smoothies again post Whole30. And for making marinades that contain big hunks of ginger, hard fruit, and garlic with just a little liquid. And for the occasional almond, coconut, and cashew butters.

I bought my juicer refurbished and have used it intermittently when I get on a juicing kick (or want to make really fabulous fresh cocktails. OMG freshly juiced pineapple is heaven in a glass).

• Moderators

Aaaa sunchokes. I always look at them but have no clue what to do with them. Thanks for the clue.

They are so good, Nadia! Slice thin before roasting with delicious fat and salt and pepper. They make a decent soup, too, but who wants soup this time of year?

Mmm. A fresh pineapple cocktail sounds delightful!

I was going back and forth in Feb: juicer or Vitamix. Turned out I could get neither but I was dreaming of all sorts of fabulous concoctions. (Mmmm, beefy crotchpot.)

How often do you see your FMD?

Archived